Thanks Thanks:  311
Likes Likes:  1,093
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Player Contract Status

He was drafted as a ball winning mid and hasn't really played there at all. It's about time he challenged himself to step into the midfield rotations, and it's also about time the match committee get unpredictable and start adding layers to our predictable (to opposition coaches) midfield rotation mix.

He has the right age profile, as well as the talent and skill to become a significant asset to us in an area of need - it's up to him to grasp the opportunity (and the match committee to give him that opportunity).
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

2. Likes Mantis, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    What's his best B and F finish?
    Finished 10th in 2021, outside top 10 last year so I'm guessing 10th would be his best result.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    100%. But on the flip side we can't try go against the market and risk losing lots of players. The club needs to decide who is and isn't worth keeping. Bailey for mine is probably on the fringe but id lean towards wanting to keep. There's a huge glut of players behind him who need to be sent to the scrap heap first imo and should have been sent there long ago.

It's really interesting to see how polariaing this signing has been btw. I think it shows how inconsistent and frustrating our performances have been.
    I get that but surely you go hard at keeping the better players and be a bit more pragmatic with those who might have plateaued out.
    There is a lot to like about Williams but he isn't performing at a high enough level on a consistent basis.
    Good for him to get a 4 year deal but it's set a benchmark and it might be hard to explain to other players wanting a similar guarantee or commitment.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I'm the opposite. It's time to send a message to the group.
    I mean what was said at his exit interview... Keep doing what you're doing? Here's 4 years.

Hard calls need to be made and he's a guy I would've taken a hit on. If we get a second rounder from the Crows then jackpot, all the other players know the deal.

Having worked kind of in the government for 25 years (we are an agency), playing for Bevo feels like a government job. Most cushy AFL gig on earth.

Tell us another story Luke before bedtime.

Ha.. Sorry I'm being seriously tongue in cheek however this has ground my gearage!

I hear you. It's a bit chicken and egg in some ways. Is it the playing group largely at fault for our performances or the coaching?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    If we signed him for 2 years I'd be as happy as but he hasn't earned a 4 year deal on performance.
    Yeah 2 would have been ideal, 2 + 1 with KPI's I would have been fine with as well. 4 I'm a bit concerned.

I'd like to see him in a more settled role going forward, he's moved around a lot to the point I don't think he knows where he's playing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Finished 10th in 2021, outside top 10 last year so I'm guessing 10th would be his best result.
    Cheers mate. Hey maybe we need a table with b and F spots per year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    He was drafted as a ball winning mid and hasn't really played there at all. It's about time he challenged himself to step into the midfield rotations, and it's also about time the match committee get unpredictable and start adding layers to our predictable (to opposition coaches) midfield rotation mix.

He has the right age profile, as well as the talent and skill to become a significant asset to us in an area of need - it's up to him to grasp the opportunity (and the match committee to give him that opportunity).
    Good call. Has some pace, can tackle and is a decent size - 188cm. Hopefully we try him in the mids in the off season

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whythelongface View Post
    Good call. Has some pace, can tackle and is a decent size - 188cm. Hopefully we try him in the mids in the off season
    Thought I heard during the year he would end up at the Crows.

Good to keep him but I can’t help but think the 4 years is a signal Bailey Smith will be gone.

Post Thanks / Like

I hear you. It's a bit chicken and egg in some ways. Is it the playing group largely at fault for our performances or the coaching?
    Depends on the review...

11. Likes bulldogsthru&thru, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Depends on the review...

Well given what we've heard so far it sounds like it's the assistant coaches fault.

13. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post

Sedat, have you met our match committee?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Well given what we've heard so far it sounds like it's the assistant coaches fault.
    Teflon head coach.

Next thing the guys handing the drinks out will be shown the door.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad we signed Truck on. Good player. Best 22. Talented and match hardened. Not the kind of fringe player who has clogged up our list in recent years. I’m also happy with 4. That’ll make him 29 when it expires. Do shorter deals after that.

17. Likes Mofra, 1eyedog, Go_Dogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm the opposite. It's time to send a message to the group.
    I mean what was said at his exit interview... Keep doing what you're doing? Here's 4 years.

Hard calls need to be made and he's a guy I would've taken a hit on. If we get a second rounder from the Crows then jackpot, all the other players know the deal.

Having worked kind of in the government for 25 years (we are an agency), playing for Bevo feels like a government job. Most cushy AFL gig on earth.

Tell us another story Luke before bedtime.

Ha.. Sorry I'm being seriously tongue in cheek however this has ground my gearage!

I hope they told him that they've backed him in to have the most consistently good years of his career on the back of him putting in huge effort over the preseason and focusing on his preparation. And that if he doesn't he's tradeable.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

19. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Glad we signed Truck on. Good player. Best 22. Talented and match hardened. Not the kind of fringe player who has clogged up our list in recent years. I’m also happy with 4. That’ll make him 29 when it expires. Do shorter deals after that.
    I agree, Am happy with a 4 year deal. Whilst he may not be the inside Mid he was recruited to be I think he is a really good option as a winger. We looked much better with him and Poulter/Baker on the wings. He's a long, accurate kick, good pair of hands and has nice evasive skills. We can look to shorter deals when he is 29 or so.