Thanks Thanks:  311
Likes Likes:  1,093
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Player Contract Status

We're taking the piss if we're signing guys like TOB.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    We're taking the piss if we're signing guys like TOB.
    But we need players like O’Brien for cover. We can’t get rid of every fringe player and replace them with potentially another fringe player who is untested at this level. Thus we are limited in the number of effective list changes we can make. May as well keep on a player or two that we know can cover, to some degree, in the event of injury.

3. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whythelongface View Post
    But we need players like O’Brien for cover. We can’t get rid of every fringe player and replace them with potentially another fringe player who is untested at this level. Thus we are limited in the number of effective list changes we can make. May as well keep on a player or two that we know can cover, to some degree, in the event of injury.
    And untested player might be better. O'Brien is no good now and won't improve at all.

5. Likes Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

And untested player might be better. O'Brien is no good now and won't improve at all.
    Often injured too. Not much of a back up in the rehab group. Might need a back up for him.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

True about the untested player but given the amount of players that could be turned over (up to 12) there will be a number of misses. Whilst we think that TOB is no good at least we know he can play at AFL level as a depth player. An unknown quantity is just that and you are unlikely to play that player in the event of injury. Hence you need players like O’Brien as cover (as much as we may not like it). Thus I see no issue giving a few players like this rolling one year contracts.

Post Thanks / Like

True about the untested player but given the amount of players that could be turned over (up to 12) there will be a number of misses. Whilst we think that TOB is no good at least we know he can play at AFL level as a depth player. An unknown quantity is just that and you are unlikely to play that player in the event of injury. Hence you need players like O’Brien as cover (as much as we may not like it). Thus I see no issue giving a few players like this rolling one year contracts.
    He was at Hawks for nearly 10 years and was no good there. He is one ordinary footballer. He is what is known as a list clogger and gets paid for it. Bad move by the club if they leave him on the list.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    He was at Hawks for nearly 10 years and was no good there. He is one ordinary footballer. He is what is known as a list clogger and gets paid for it. Bad move by the club if they leave him on the list.
    I don’t disagree but you can’t get rid of all ‘list cloggers’ in one full swoop unless there are players out there that are more needs based. Whilst he may be an average footballer he can still play a role if called upon. Similar to others that have been mentioned eg Duryea, McNeill etc definitely need to get rid of some but you can’t get rid of all. Every club is in the same boat and will always have players that are deemed not good enough on the list (but can potentially play a role). You can’t just have a list of developing players or young recruits from 22 to 44, you need experienced players that aren’t good enough to be regulars to help balance the list and can brought in on an as required basis - hence I get the need to sign a player like O’Brien whether I personally like the decision or not. Hopefully in time we get better quality back up players - not easy to manage and there will always be criticisms as to whom is retained and not.

10. Likes jeemak, GVGjr, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don’t disagree but you can’t get rid of all ‘list cloggers’ in one full swoop unless there are players out there that are more needs based. Whilst he may be an average footballer he can still play a role if called upon. Similar to others that have been mentioned eg Duryea, McNeill etc definitely need to get rid of some but you can’t get rid of all. Every club is in the same boat and will always have players that are deemed not good enough on the list (but can potentially play a role). You can’t just have a list of developing players or young recruits from 22 to 44, you need experienced players that aren’t good enough to be regulars to help balance the list and can brought in on an as required basis - hence I get the need to sign a player like O’Brien whether I personally like the decision or not. Hopefully in time we get better quality back up players - not easy to manage and there will always be criticisms as to whom is retained and not.
    Pretty simple really . You delist a player for a better player, if no better player is around you keep them .
    Especially if you need experience and are in the “ premiership window “
    We are in mid space at the moment our up and coming stars ( which I believe will be a great group) are still young and learning, so in the next two years they will start hitting their peak . We have the next two drafts/ trades to get fast , hard mids to compliment them.
    Bring back the biff

12. Likes whythelongface, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If we re-sign O’Brien I will not be attending games he is selected for. Gotta have some self respect at some point.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

14. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Pretty simple really . You delist a player for a better player, if no better player is around you keep them .
    Especially if you need experience and are in the “ premiership window “
    We are in mid space at the moment our up and coming stars ( which I believe will be a great group) are still young and learning, so in the next two years they will start hitting their peak . We have the next two drafts/ trades to get fast , hard mids to compliment them.
    If that was our approach we'd never draft players with potential and would just load up with state league players and maybe first rounders. Sometimes it's appropriate to cut players loose for the chance their replacement can show something more longer term.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Sammy Power has flagged that there won't be a lot of changes to the list given we are only looking to draft in 2 to 4 players and I assume add 2 more via trades.

If that holds true then there will be a few 1 year deals offered to the players coming out of contract.
    It’s an interesting debate / approach here.

While we need to turn the list over, we do need some coverage and depth across most areas. While TOB has been disappointing in the games he’s played and his injury history not good either, he can play roles at either end of the ground. I suspect Bruce deciding to pull the pin (different roles I know) and Darcy also struggling with injury have made this decision for us.

Personally I don’t like it as I’d like to see depth players pushing for the 22 regularly and actually staying on the park for most of the year.

On the broader issue of how much we should turn the list over, while we may not have a bunch of early picks, at some point we need to back in our talent identification and target players with some key attributes who also have some development areas and back ourselves in to turn them into AFL players. We seem gun shy here. Every post won’t be a winner but if we can add one 100 game plus player out if 3 late selections that would be an amazing result. Too often we’re keeping blokes for a few years who we know won’t do that, and then using late picks of blokes who are good allrounders at VFL level but lack any genuine AFL attribute.

17. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes hujsh, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    If we re-sign O’Brien I will not be attending games he is selected for. Gotta have some self respect at some point.

Renew your membership. Won’t need to miss any matches

19. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

TOB and McComb gone. Good decision.

21. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Add Raak to that.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

I can understand the recruitment of TOB, we have been in desperate need of an interceptor but it just didn't work out. Raak and McComb on the other hand have never had AFL attributes, I see those decisions in a very different light.