Thanks Thanks:  311
Likes Likes:  1,093
Page 118 of 121 FirstFirst ... 1868108109110111112113114115116117118119120121 LastLast
Results 1,756 to 1,770 of 1812
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Player Contract Status

Good news

Post Thanks / Like

LIBBA CLOSES IN ON NEW CONTRACT

Western Bulldogs midfield bull Tom Liberatore is edging closer to a new one-year deal, but the soon-to-be 32-year-old is confident that his battle-scarred right knee can push on for a few more seasons.

Liberatore’s AFL career has come full circle, having rejoined the club’s leadership group this year after a long absence. He says he will largely take his AFL career on a year-to-year basis.

The Bulldogs’ vice-captain has rolled through a series of one-year deals in recent years and has often accepted slightly under market value, such is his love of the club.

Liberatore doesn’t expect that to change, despite four consecutive top-three finishes in the Dogs’ best and fairest, as he and his management look to tick off an extension into 2025.

“The right knee was playing-up for a couple of years, but it’s all good … I’ve been able to manage it quite well,” Liberatore said.

“It’s a big jump once you turn 32 (which he does in May), but I’m still loving it (playing AFL football). I couldn’t be happier with where (I) am at and where the club is headed.”

Moneyball revealed last year Liberatore was still well-paid, but had been prepared to accept slightly less to stick with the Bulldogs.

He played that down this week, saying: “I’m not going to sit here and proclaim I am some sort of hero. It’s just the elements of (past) injury and age (as the reasons for the one-year deals). I probably deserve what I get.”

3. Thanks GVGjr, bulldogfan thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    LIBBA CLOSES IN ON NEW CONTRACT

Western Bulldogs midfield bull Tom Liberatore is edging closer to a new one-year deal, but the soon-to-be 32-year-old is confident that his battle-scarred right knee can push on for a few more seasons.

Liberatore’s AFL career has come full circle, having rejoined the club’s leadership group this year after a long absence. He says he will largely take his AFL career on a year-to-year basis.

The Bulldogs’ vice-captain has rolled through a series of one-year deals in recent years and has often accepted slightly under market value, such is his love of the club.

Liberatore doesn’t expect that to change, despite four consecutive top-three finishes in the Dogs’ best and fairest, as he and his management look to tick off an extension into 2025.

“The right knee was playing-up for a couple of years, but it’s all good … I’ve been able to manage it quite well,” Liberatore said.

“It’s a big jump once you turn 32 (which he does in May), but I’m still loving it (playing AFL football). I couldn’t be happier with where (I) am at and where the club is headed.”

Moneyball revealed last year Liberatore was still well-paid, but had been prepared to accept slightly less to stick with the Bulldogs.

He played that down this week, saying: “I’m not going to sit here and proclaim I am some sort of hero. It’s just the elements of (past) injury and age (as the reasons for the one-year deals). I probably deserve what I get.”
    Bulldog through and through.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Apparently we have a 2 year offer in front of Bailey Smith according to Cal at Gettables.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

6. Thanks bornadog, hujsh thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    Apparently we have a 2 year offer in front of Bailey Smith according to Cal at Gettables.
    If that's true I'm pretty cynical of that. I reckon that's that our way of saying we don't really want him.
    We have used this tactic in the past, we have lowballed players (on years or $) when we know others will offer much more, but in negotiating with other clubs we say really wanted to keep him and offered him a deal.
    I don't think coming back from the knee would be the reason for the 2 yrs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Glove38 View Post
    If that's true I'm pretty cynical of that. I reckon that's that our way of saying we don't really want him.
    We have used this tactic in the past, we have lowballed players (on years or $) when we know others will offer much more, but in negotiating with other clubs we say really wanted to keep him and offered him a deal.
    Maybe Bailey has said he only wants two years and see where we are at then.
    Bring back the biff

9. Likes bulldogsthru&thru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Maybe Bailey has said he only wants two years and see where we are at then.
    I think you are right as that would see him to free agency. Wouldn't be easy going to a new club straight of an ACL so could be in the best interest of both parties. He also may feel he owes the club as well for doing the rehab. The two year deal also won't mean he will be short of a coin.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Glove38 View Post
    I might be wrong but 2 years gets him to free agency. If another club offers him a big deal now then he should absolutely take it...but I think it is within both his and our interests to get him through another couple of seasons.

Post Thanks / Like

Free agency means the club lets you go a year early if you want as the club then gets zero for you when contract finishes.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Free agency means the club lets you go a year early if you want as the club then gets zero for you when contract finishes.
    Normally that's right but not in the AFL, there are band level compensation picks.

Post Thanks / Like

Tom Morris

Lock it in 🔒: Jamarra Ugle-Hagan will re-sign for the @westernbulldogs.

The only question is whether it?s a two-year deal or four years. The latter would take him to free agency.

Either way, he?s not going anywhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    Tom Morris

Lock it in ��: Jamarra Ugle-Hagan will re-sign for the @westernbulldogs.

The only question is whether it?s a two-year deal or four years. The latter would take him to free agency.

Morris and the other pricks in AFL media won't be happy about that!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    Tom Morris

Lock it in ��: Jamarra Ugle-Hagan will re-sign for the @westernbulldogs.

He's basically repeating exactly what Sam Edmund reported. If true I think it's a smart move by Marra.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

17. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Morris and the other pricks in AFL media won't be happy about that!
    They'll just move onto the next one and the one after that. Either way it's great to have him unofficially signed on. Hopefully it's at the longer end of report.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    He's basically repeating exactly what Sam Edmund reported. If true I think it's a smart move by Marra.
    What stands out as making it a smart move for Marra?
    Is it that either a 2 year or 4 year deal gives extends him to the point where he's most likely to be able to leverage a career defining deal - by virtue of both his expected improvement and standing in the game coupled with a Tassie team looming and free agency?