Thanks Thanks:  313
Likes Likes:  1,106
Page 120 of 123 FirstFirst ... 2070110111112113114115116117118119120121122123 LastLast
Results 1,786 to 1,800 of 1836
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Player Contract Status

That exchange is making my head hurt.

Players need to give 8 years service to their club to qualify for free agency. Jamarra was drafted in the 2020 draft meaning he will qualify for free agency at the end of the 2028 season. This is Jamarra's 4th season (2021-2024).

It has long been expected that he would either sign for 2 more seasons (2026) at which point he won't be a free agent, or 4 more seasons (2028), which would take him through to free agency.

2. Thanks bornadog, hujsh, Smads57, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Likes azabob, bulldogsthru&thru, bulldogfan, mjp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    That exchange is making my head hurt.

Players need to give 8 years service to their club to qualify for free agency. Jamarra was drafted in the 2020 draft meaning he will qualify for free agency at the end of the 2028 season. This is Jamarra's 4th season (2021-2024).

It has long been expected that he would either sign for 2 more seasons (2026) at which point he won't be a free agent, or 4 more seasons (2028), which would take him through to free agency.
    8 seasons for free agency? I thought it was 6 and then read it's 7. Either way a 2 year deal won't take him to free agency which does make the length a little strange.

PSA: I really hate being that guy but I have educator friends who don't get this right:
    https://langeek.co/en/grammar/course/180/his-vs-he-s

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    8 seasons for free agency? I thought it was 6 and then read it's 7. Either way a 2 year deal won't take him to free agency which does make the length a little strange.

PSA: I really hate being that guy but I have educator friends who don't get this right:
    It's 8 years

AFL Free Agency

To become a Free Agent, a player must be one of the following:

Players entering their eighth or ninth season and who are in the top 25 per cent of the club's earners are Restricted Free Agents
    An Unrestricted Free Agent is a player who's spent eight years at one club but are outside the top 25 per cent of the club's earners or have spent 10+ years

Players who have been delisted at any stage of their career and are at the end of their contract automatically qualify as free agents
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post

It's 8 years, hence why Tim English is a free agent for the first time at the end of this season having been drafted in 2016.

From Jamarra's point of view he will be backing himself to become one of the best forwards in the game over the next 3 seasons if he extends to 2026 soon. He will then be able to command a mega contract should he choose or again hedge his bets through to free agency in 2028.

The use of 'his' in place of 'he's' or 'he is' drives me crazy too. Thanks for being that guy so I didn't have to!

6. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I might be reading this wrong, but two years feels like a good result for us?

If he were setting himself to play the market at the end of his next deal, I'd have thought he'd take a contract for four years through to free agency when Tassie are going to be a big player. Realistically, if he does become a premier key forward, they could throw an unprecedented contract at him.

Two years more feels like he's willing to forego that free agency leverage to renegotiate with the club when he does have more runs on the board and we're going to have more cap space with the Libba, Treloar, Bont, Macrae contracts all running down.

8. Likes bulldogfan, bulldogsthru&thru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    I might be reading this wrong, but two years feels like a good result for us?

If he were setting himself to play the market at the end of his next deal, I'd have thought he'd take a contract for four years through to free agency when Tassie are going to be a big player. Realistically, if he does become a premier key forward, they could throw an unprecedented contract at him.

Two years more feels like he's willing to forego that free agency leverage to renegotiate with the club when he does have more runs on the board and we're going to have more cap space with the Libba, Treloar, Bont, Macrae contracts all running down.
    I would be surprised if Libba, Treloar and Macrae are with us by then.
    Libba is a year by year due to his knees,
    Treloar is in his 30s and has a body that will only break down more.
    Macrae has dropped right away even now.
    To be honest I have thought we are going to have some real cap space for Bont, he can’t possibly go to another club.
    Years ago they had some sort of contract in the AFL where if you reached a certain age or played so many years at the club your whole salary didn’t come under the cap or something like that . Can anyone remember it and is it still around in some shape or form ?
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    I would be surprised if Libba, Treloar and Macrae are with us by then.
    Libba is a year by year due to his knees,
    Treloar is in his 30s and has a body that will only break down more.
    Macrae has dropped right away even now.
    To be honest I have thought we are going to have some real cap space for Bont, he can’t possibly go to another club.
    Years ago they had some sort of contract in the AFL where if you reached a certain age or played so many years at the club your whole salary didn’t come under the cap or something like that . Can anyone remember it and is it still around in some shape or form ?
    The AFL removed the veterans list rule (where a portion of eligible players contracts could sit outside the salary cap) many years ago. There was some talk of it returning in some fashion last year but I'm not sure it progressed.

Bont is already on $1 million or more, I don't expect his next contract will be significantly different.

11. Thanks ledge thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    The AFL removed the veterans list rule (where a portion of eligible players contracts could sit outside the salary cap) many years ago. There was some talk of it returning in some fashion last year but I'm not sure it progressed.

Bont is already on $1 million or more, I don't expect his next contract will be significantly different.
    I think we had Johnno on it.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

14. Likes ledge, The Doctor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

DISCUSSIONS UNDERWAY FOR TOP FREE AGENT
    EARLY discussions have begun between the Western Bulldogs and star free agent Tim English, with the Dogs putting forward a contract offer to retain the All-Australian ruckman.

English is one of the top restricted free agents in the competition this year and one of three contract priorities for the Bulldogs alongside Jamarra Ugle-Hagan and Bailey Smith.

The Dogs have offered Smith a two-year deal as he recovers from his knee injury while Ugle-Hagan is expected to soon ink a new deal, likely two years, amidst significant rival interest, including from Hawthorn and Richmond.

English has been prepared to wait until deeper into the season to make a decision on his future, but talks are underway and the Dogs are understood to have put a long-term offer to him to stay at Whitten Oval.
    West Coast signalled its interest in English over summer and has previously courted the West Australian.

The 26-year-old dominated against the Eagles last weekend as the Dogs ran riot, with English gathering 17 disposals, kicking two goals and having 24 hitouts in his best game of the season so far. – Callum Twomey
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

16. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Seems we have locked in Jamarra and now moved onto English.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Seems we have locked in Jamarra and now moved onto English.
    Have we? Is there news??? Man, I'm so far behind on everything rn.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I think just journos saying we've agreed on 2 years being the length but it's not all finalised. Good indication things are moving and he's not looking to leave though

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Well the other day they announced Jamarra was about to sign a contract and now the news is we are now on discussions with English on a long term contract, so I presume that means the chats with Jamarra are done and now we have moved to English.
    Bring back the biff

21. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well the other day they announced Jamarra was about to sign a contract and now the news is we are now on discussions with English on a long term contract, so I presume that means the chats with Jamarra are done and now we have moved to English.
    I think all these things happen in parallel