Thanks Thanks:  299
Likes Likes:  1,075
Page 2 of 118 FirstFirst 12345678910111252102 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Player Contract Status

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    18 players out of contract at the end of next year seems bloody scary on paper.

I wouldn't mind seeing a few more locked in, potentially at cheaper prices before we become the powerhouse of the competition and their stocks rise too much more (Schache, Bailey Smith, and Lloyd would have to be the highest priority).
    Im not too worried. It’s a lot, but not many must keeps.

Only Crozier, Schache and Bailey Smith are must keeps.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    From the outside looking in it appears we will be conservative and have minimal list changes which is slightly disappointing.
    Young list that are performing ahead of expectations in many respects, I wouldn't want too much movement. As long as we keep who we want to keep.
    We'll lose nobody from our best 22 this season and add 1 or 2 into it for 2020, I'd say we're well positioned.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

3. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Young list that are performing ahead of expectations in many respects, I wouldn't want too much movement. As long as we keep who we want to keep.
    We'll lose nobody from our best 22 this season and add 1 or 2 into it for 2020, I'd say we're well positioned.
    Good perspective Mofra.

I will be looking with interest who else we re-sign.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Bevo really wants to hold the group together. Smart move if you have the right personnel, which I think we do. A couple of tweaks here and there and we can play finals for a few years.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

6. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    From the outside looking in it appears we will be conservative and have minimal list changes which is slightly disappointing.
    Standard fare however, once the confusing selection process was sorted out we have played vastly better football which of course results in fewer list changes

Assuming we don't add Gardiner then potentially it's looking like Boyd, Picken, Morris, Roberts, R. Smith, Webb and Williams are unlikely to be playing next season and there might even be a question mark on Jong for next season and Dickson
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Assuming we don't add Gardiner then potentially it's looking like Boyd, Picken, Morris, Roberts, R. Smith, Webb and Williams are unlikely to be playing next season and there might even be a question mark on Jong for next season and Dickson
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Boyd, Pickin, Morris, Roberts, R. Smith, Webb and Jong all moved on. I still think that we will add Gardiner and keep Dickson & Williams for another year. That would be IMO a huge turn over of personal with such a young list. With all of these guys only playing a hand full of games between them we will miss nothing from turning them over.
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper Bulldogs View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Boyd, Pickin, Morris, Roberts, R. Smith, Webb and Jong all moved on. I still think that we will add Gardiner and keep Dickson & Williams for another year. That would be IMO a huge turn over of personal with such a young list. With all of these guys only playing a hand full of games between them we will miss nothing from turning them over.
    According to Hun

BAILEY WILLIAMS (Western Bulldogs)
    Talks will ramp up with his management next week but all signs are now pointing to him re-signing at the Kennel. Had been keen to assess whether he was part of the Dogs’ future after only nine games this year and none since round 17.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Happy to keep Williams. He’s shown enough at the highest level to prove he has a place.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

That's an interesting turn around with Williams. He's not in a strong bargaining position salary wise. Maybe a two year extension on something like the money he is on.

If he and Dale sign we need 6 list movements out to cover three draft selections and three trades in:

1. Boyd
    2. Picken
    3. Morris (ret)
    4. Webb
    5. Roberts
    6. Dickson or a contracted player traded or retired early
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

12. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe that Bailey Williams wants to stay at the dogs.

14. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog, Doc26, The Doctor, Mofra, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What do you mean he doesn't want to join the dumpster fire that is Adelaide, or not get paid playing at Port?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

16. Likes bulldogtragic, The Doctor, hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Happy to keep Williams. He’s shown enough at the highest level to prove he has a place.
    I agree, I think he has talent and should be retained.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Williams' best footy is still in front of him. Would be a shame to lose him.

19. Thanks Rocco Jones thanked for this post
    Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    That's an interesting turn around with Williams. He's not in a strong bargaining position salary wise. Maybe a two year extension on something like the money he is on.

If he and Dale sign we need 6 list movements out to cover three draft selections and three trades in:

1. Boyd
    2. Picken
    3. Morris (ret)
    4. Webb
    5. Roberts
    I think Dicko may have shown enough for another season, I can see us moving on Jong.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post

1. Boyd
    2. Picken
    3. Morris (ret)
    4. Webb
    5. Roberts

Watching Williams at Footscray, he seemed to be happy and quite engaged. If a player is unhappy, the output even at VFL level wouldn't be any good but he is a class above.

If we need to roll-over more spots, do we need to look at the next tier of players and have them exploring opportunity somewhere else even if they have a contract for 2020?

These are players who are with us for few seasons already:

Billy Gowers: 2020 (Depth player)
    Fergus Greene: 2020 (Where is he at now?)
    Lin Jong: 2020 (Depth player)
    Brad Lynch: 2020 (Where is he at now?)
    Roarke Smith: 2019 (Rookie)

List management is a tough gig
    It always seems impossible until it's done. Nelson Mandela

22. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post