Thanks Thanks:  304
Likes Likes:  1,081
Page 3 of 119 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353103 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Player Contract Status

We won passes to go in the rooms post-match early in the year, and I was interested in the psychology of the listed players who had not played. While almost all of them went and stood in a corner together, Morris, Trengrove and Williams walked straight over to the 22 and pulled up a seat with them. This showed me that they see themselves as best 22 senior players who shouldn't be lumped with the VFL crew.

I think Port and Crows are missing a trick if they're not approaching him, but I'll be glad if he stays.

2. Likes bulldogtragic, azabob, choconmientay liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by choconmientay View Post
    Watching Williams at Footscray, he seemed to be happy and quite engaged. If a player is unhappy, the output even at VFL level wouldn't be any good but he is a class above.

If we need to roll-over more spots, do we need to look at the next tier of players and have them exploring opportunity somewhere else even if they have a contract for 2020?

These are players who are with us for few seasons already:

Billy Gowers: 2020 (Depth player)
    Fergus Greene: 2020 (Where is he at now?)
    Lin Jong: 2020 (Depth player)
    Brad Lynch: 2020 (Where is he at now?)
    Roarke Smith: 2019 (Rookie)

List management is a tough gig
    I'd be looking to keep Fergus at this stage. Looked good and injury has been what's kept him out. The others I'd be more comfortable parting with

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    I'd be looking to keep Fergus at this stage. Looked good and injury has been what's kept him out. The others I'd be more comfortable parting with
    Ditto. A guy who has shown he can contribute at AFL level just had his year wiped out by injury, and presumably he's on base salary.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Ditto. A guy who has shown he can contribute at AFL level just had his year wiped out by injury, and presumably he's on base salary.
    One of Lynch, Gowers or Jong might have some interest from elsewhere. If they got offered a two year deal I wouldn’t stand in their way. I don’t see any at the club after 2020 finishes. I’d rather look for trading in a best 22 player with that spot and reduce our back up depth fractionally.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

So Bailey Dale said he wants to extend his contract, with talks underway. Latest media word is Bailey Williams is likely to stay with an extended contract, working on it this week. Everyone wants Bailey Smith to extend his contract immediately too.

Here's hoping for a pre-finals Triple Baileys announcement. And Guinness book of world record for most Baileys re-signed at the same time by one professional sporting club.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

7. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    So Bailey Dale said he wants to extend his contract, with talks underway. Latest media word is Bailey Williams is likely to stay with an extended contract, working on it this week. Everyone wants Bailey Smith to extend his contract immediately too.

Here's hoping for a pre-finals Triple Baileys announcement. And Guinness book of world record for most Baileys re-signed at the same time by one professional sporting club.
    Let’s all have a Baileys to celebrate national Bailey day.
    Bring back the biff

9. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

From the OP:

Bailey Williams: 2019 - apparently likely to stay
    Bailey Dale: 2019 - states want to stay
    Lukas Webb: 2019 - surely going
    Fletcher Roberts: 2019 (FA) - surely going
    Tory Dickson: 2019 (FA) - the interesting spot
    -----------------
    Roarke Smith: 2019 (Rookie) - surely going
    Ryan Gardner: 2019 (Rookie) - who knows, I'd move him on
    Buku Khamis: 2019 (Rookie) - 100% locked for next year

Three vacancies now (Morris, Picken & Boyd). Roberts & Webb make five vacancies. I'd like to see at lest one more open up.

Post Thanks / Like

From the OP:

Bailey Williams: 2019 - apparently likely to stay
    Bailey Dale: 2019 - states want to stay
    Lukas Webb: 2019 - surely going
    Fletcher Roberts: 2019 (FA) - surely going
    Tory Dickson: 2019 (FA) - the interesting spot
    -----------------
    Roarke Smith: 2019 (Rookie) - surely going
    Ryan Gardner: 2019 (Rookie) - who knows, I'd move him on
    Buku Khamis: 2019 (Rookie) - 100% locked for next year

Three vacancies now (Morris, Picken & Boyd). Roberts & Webb make five vacancies. I'd like to see at lest one more open up.
    We have to bring in 3 via the draft, so at this stage we can only trade in 2 which seems light on given all the conjecture so far out. Can definitely see some surprises happening on our end.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    We have to bring in 3 via the draft, so at this stage we can only trade in 2 which seems light on given all the conjecture so far out.
    Exactly my point. I want to aim at 3 mature role players from trading. If Williams & Dale do sign. That leaves Dicko the only unsigned player on the main list to open up spot 6. So if we want to keep him for next year, we might need to offer up a fringe type for trade to open the spot. Three players could get some interest Jong (GCS previously), Lynch (North last year) or Gowers. So the question is of Dickson, Lynch, Gowers & Jong, which three would help us most next year?
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 30-08-2019 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Typo

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly my point. If Williams & Dale do sign. That leaves Dicko the only unsigned player on the min list. So if we want to keep him for next year, we might need to offer up a fringe type for trade to open the spot. Three players could get some interest Jong (GCS previously), Lynch (North last year) or Gowers. So the question is of Dickson, Lynch, Gowers & Jong, which three would help us most next year?
    Gowers and Jong are contracted, but I feel Dickson would help us most. He's AFL standard and a beautiful set shot as well.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

14. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Gowers and Jong are contracted, but I feel Dickson would help us most. He's AFL standard and a beautiful set shot as well.
    That's why I suggested trading them.

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly my point. If Williams & Dale do sign. That leaves Dicko the only unsigned player on the min list. So if we want to keep him for next year, we might need to offer up a fringe type for trade to open the spot. Three players could get some interest Jong (GCS previously), Lynch (North last year) or Gowers. So the question is of Dickson, Lynch, Gowers & Jong, which three would help us most next year?
    I’d keep Dickson for one more year & look for homes for the other 3. Jong is miles back in the queue and might be over the footy grind altogether, Lynch has tricks but has stagnated badly and could do with a change of scene. Gowers provides us with depth but if we brought in Bruce, he’d be surplus.

What the hell are we going to do next year with 4+ NGA & F/S kids available?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I’d keep Dickson for one more year & look for homes for the other 3. Jong is miles back in the queue and might be over the footy grind altogether, Lynch has tricks but has stagnated badly and could do with a change of scene. Gowers provides us with depth but if we brought in Bruce, he’d be surplus.

What the hell are we going to do next year with 4+ NGA & F/S kids available?
    Points wise, or list wise?

Post Thanks / Like

Points wise, or list wise?
    List spots.

Post Thanks / Like

List spots.
    So four priority access players at the draft on your post. Not likely to trade.

Suckling & Dickson retired (2). 2 players from Porter, Lynch, Jong, Greene, Gowers (4). Plus any players requesting a trade out.

Seems fine.