Thanks Thanks:  311
Likes Likes:  1,093
Page 36 of 121 FirstFirst ... 26272829303132333435363738394041424344454686 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Player Contract Status

Happy with these signings too. One year extensions perfect as well.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Happy as well. One year extensions for VFL based players is about right.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Cody banks two more years

Small forward Cody Weightman has re-signed with the Western Bulldogs until the end of 2023.

The 20-year-old has committed to a two-year contract extension on the back of some impressive form at AFL level.

Weightman has kicked 16 goals from nine matches this season, adding another element to the Bulldogs’ forward mix.

He made his AFL debut in 2020 – playing three games in his first year – after joining the Bulldogs with pick 15 in the 2019 NAB AFL Draft.

“I’m really excited to be part of this group and it’s great to have another couple of years locked in,” Weightman said.

“We’re building something special and growing as a group. That’s allowing me to develop as an individual and as a player – I’m playing with confidence and feel like this group is helping to bring out the best in me.

“I was able to spend time developing as a player in the VFL earlier this year and our program made sure I was ready for when I got my shot at AFL level.

“I feel like I’m making the most of my opportunity at the moment and hopefully I can keep doing that.”

Weightman earned a NAB AFL Rising Star nomination in round 10 this year, kicking two goals from 14 disposals against St Kilda.

His 16 goals see him sitting behind only Josh Bruce (41), Aaron Naughton (34) and Marcus Bontempelli (21) for scoreboard impact at the Bulldogs this season.

“Cody has started to establish himself as a dangerous forward at AFL level and we’re really excited about his future,” General Manager of List Management and Football Projects, Sam Power, said.

“He got a taste of senior football last season in what was a challenging year to be a first-year player and made some great strides with his development at VFL level in the early stages of 2021.

“Cody came into the AFL side ready to make an impact. His strengths are his goal sense, pressure game and aerial abilities – particularly for his size. Those skills have complemented the players around him and have added to the potency of our forward line.”

4. Thanks bulldogtragic, josie, bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Some welcome good news this week.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Great news, Cody’s enthusiasm and skill are a huge plus for us.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

7. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great news! I have really liked how Cody has gone this season. Lots to be excited about.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Place your bets. Was he smiling when he signed it?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

10. Likes dadsgirl16, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Smiling Assassin 2.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

12. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Players Left:

Maybe?

Ed Richards (Every week he doesn’t sign, confidence of keeping him drops)

Gone, Traded?

Mitch Wallis
    Pat Lipinski
    Lewis Young

Gone, Gone?

Will Hayes
    Ben Cavarra
    Lin Jong
    Stef Martin (Retired)

Later Signatures?

Taylor Duryea
    Zaine Cordy
    Anthony Scott
    Buku Khamis (R) (Needs Upgrading)
    Jordan Sweet (R) (Needs Upgrading)
    Roarke Smith (R)

14. Thanks Dry Rot thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

BT, I wouldn’t be too worried about Richards not signing yet. He has missed a huge chunk of the year.

He is best 22 I can only see him leaving for a huge offer.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    BT, I wouldn’t be too worried about Richards not signing yet. He has missed a huge chunk of the year.

I was a little concerned when North & Brisbane told The Age they were after him. The Age said other clubs were too. From Bont to Gardner, Sam Power has been signing the players up. You’d hope as of today he’d sign, but it’s a fair bet we’ve given an offer to his manager along with the other clubs. But he hasn’t signed. I think if this drags on, it gives more times for other clubs to pitch a trade, and with that goes the risk increasing he leaves.

But here’s hoping he signs soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed, he doesn't appear to out of our best 22 for the selectors so there might only be two reasons why he might consider leaving
    1) He's not happy with the positions he is being asked to play and that doesn't appear likely.
    2) An overs offer from another club which is possible but more likely to come from a non contending club.

I like our chances of keeping him.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I was a little concerned when North & Brisbane told The Age they were after him. The Age said other clubs were too. From Bont to Gardner, Sam Power has been signing the players up. You’d hope as of today he’d sign, but it’s a fair bet we’ve given an offer to his manager along with the other clubs. But he hasn’t signed. I think if this drags on, it gives more times for other clubs to pitch a trade, and with that goes the risk increasing he leaves.

But here’s hoping he signs soon.
    I wouldn’t sign either if I wasn’t able to perform. I reckon he’s backing himself in to play good footy and eek out a few more $.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

BT clearly has it in for poor old Ed!

This is a great resource this thread, hardly ever gets a mention.........

Fantastic news re Cody, he's awesome.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn’t sign either if I wasn’t able to perform. I reckon he’s backing himself in to play good footy and eek out a few more $.
    Absolutely a strong possibility. With confirmation multiple clubs are strongly after him, he might be a good chance to chance to leave too. I hope you are 100% right about the delay, but if he keeps spoiling uncontested marks to Keath that leads to goals, he might be playing for meals and board!