Thanks Thanks:  311
Likes Likes:  1,093
Page 37 of 121 FirstFirst ... 27282930313233343536373839404142434445464787 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Player Contract Status

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    BT clearly has it in for poor old Ed!

This is a great resource this thread, hardly ever gets a mention.........

Fantastic news re Cody, he's awesome.
    Oh, start a ‘Trade Richards’ thread you say….
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

2. Thanks chef thanked for this post
    Likes jeemak, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I wouldn’t sign either if I wasn’t able to perform. I reckon he’s backing himself in to play good footy and eek out a few more $.
    100%

He'd best wait til he gets into some decent form. Hopefully has a good finals series and put himself in a good negotiating position.

Dogs would we keen to retain him for sure on suitable terms but would also identify him as our most valuable trade asset among the uncontracted players.

It might well be in the best interests of both parties to wait.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

4. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Oh, start a ‘Trade Richards’ thread you say….
    Not sure it'll make it to 150 pages but it'll be a passionate discussion nonetheless!
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

6. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn’t sign either if I wasn’t able to perform. I reckon he’s backing himself in to play good footy and eek out a few more $.
    I seem to remember back when he was out injured him saying something along the lines of wanting to wait until he was back playing before he even thought about his contract.

Absolutely a strong possibility. With confirmation multiple clubs are strongly after him, he might be a good chance to chance to leave too. I hope you are 100% right about the delay, but if he keeps spoiling uncontested marks to Keath that leads to goals, he might be playing for meals and board!
    Confirmation or speculation?

Post Thanks / Like

The Age
    Jake Niall
    5 May 2021

North Melbourne and the Brisbane Lions are among the clubs who are eyeing talented Western Bulldog Ed Richards, who is coming out of contract this year.

Industry sources said the Lions had been scouting Richards as a player who might fit their needs and that North Melbourne have been considering him as a potential out-of-contract recruit.

A number of other clubs have the running defender and wingman on their radar. The Bulldogs are aware of rival clubs’ interest.

Richards is recovering from a broken leg that he suffered in a VFL practice match against Collingwood on the same day of the Dogs’ first-round clash with the Magpies and is not expected to resume until the second half of this season - perhaps another month.

Sources familiar with Richards’ situation said he did not want to progress any contract discussions until he returned to play after a lengthy stint on the sidelines – a position that the Bulldogs are comfortable with.

Richards is seen by rival clubs as a natural half-back, but he can also play wing. He had an impressive debut season in 2018, when he played 21 out of 22 games (making his debut in round two) and was touted as a prospective star but did not make the leap forward in 2020 that might have been expected in his third season, when he played 17 games.

Richards did not make the senior side for the opening game and there’s clearly a view among other clubs that he could be gettable in the trade period, depending on how he fares this season.

For the Lions, there is a need for a running defender given former Hawk Grant Birchall, a valuable addition, is near the end of his distinguished career.

North Melbourne will be well-placed to land an out-of-contract player this year, due to their salary cap room and expected position on the bottom of the ladder (which opens up the pre-season draft as a recruiting lever), although the Roos are committed to a draft-first strategy and unlikely to trade any early picks.

Richards was rated highly by Carlton and Collingwood prior to the 2017 national draft and was a candidate to be picked early by those clubs but the Bulldogs snared him at pick 16.

One of Richards’ issues has been the surfeit of teammates at Whitten Oval who are well suited to playing across half-back. Caleb Daniel, who acts as a playmaker behind the ball, Bailey Williams (who is injured), Hayden Crozier, veteran Easton Wood and Norm Smith medallist Jason Johannisen are all capable across half-back and on occasion Richards has been forced to play in other positions, or pushed out of the side.

Patrick Lipinski is another Bulldog coming out of contract who has been on the fringes of regular selection due to the club’s relatively strong depth of talent.

While Lipinski will be looked at by other clubs, he is close to housemates and teammates Aaron Naughton and Tim English and is a lifelong Bulldogs supporter.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Lol. I am familiar with the reports, but anything by the media is speculation. May be true, may not be. If true may be mild interest, may be strong.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Lol. I am familiar with the reports, but anything by the media is speculation. May be true, may not be. If true may be mild interest, may be strong.
    This seems to have a little more meat on the bones than the afel.com article tonight saying Lipinski & Richards are attracting interest.

Niall isn’t know for making up sources like Tom Browne. Niall seems to have insight on what Brisbane are doing as well as what North’s strategy is and knowing Richards perspective and the club being aware of it all. He left out naming the others which takes restraint in this day and age. As I say, I hope Richards signs absolutely. But I’m not prepared dismiss what seems like a fair summation of things which could result in him staying or going. If he wants plenty of games to drive his price up to us, he’s running short on time.

Post Thanks / Like

Great to see Cody sign for two more years. He has really started to cement himself in that small forward role.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

This seems to have a little more meat on the bones than the afel.com article tonight saying Lipinski & Richards are attracting interest.

Niall isn’t know for making up sources like Tom Browne. Niall seems to have insight on what Brisbane are doing as well as what North’s strategy is and knowing Richards perspective and the club being aware of it all. He left out naming the others which takes restraint in this day and age. As I say, I hope Richards signs absolutely. But I’m not prepared dismiss what seems like a fair summation of things which could result in him staying or going. If he wants plenty of games to drive his price up to us, he’s running short on time.
    But that also goes for his opportunity to run his value up in the open market. Just looking at his productivity, in particular his disposal efficiency he's going to be making sure serious questions are asked in that short time:

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...&fid1=S&fid2=C

I get it's only three games, but a jump of 14% in disposal efficiency smacks of someone who has had an opportunity to think about his game a bit, practice skills and use a bit of maturity to improve.

As far as Ed being a keeper your talk is cheap BT, you consider him a linchpin in all of your Machiavellian trading scenarios and you'll stop at nothing to ensure public perception (well, on WOOF and in Jake Niall's comments sections anyway) of Richard's availability suits them.

We'll continue to keep a close eye on your endeavours and escapades.

13. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Likes GVGjr, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Duryea set to sign a one year deal

https://www.afl.com.au/news/651360/o...-to-free-agent
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

16. Likes bulldogtragic, SquirrelGrip, Max469 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Good news. He's elevated his game this year and has been so reliable.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    In my finest Gunnery Sergeant Hartman voice, OUTSTANDING!

If Wood got two, I would’ve been happy to give him two as well. Not many ‘must signs’ now. I know Jeemak wants to push out Richards, but we need stop him.

19. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In my finest Gunnery Sergeant Hartman voice, OUTSTANDING!

If Wood got two, I would’ve been happy to give him two as well. Not many ‘must signs’ now. I know Jeemak wants to push out Richards, but we need stop him.
    Well if truth be told Jeemak wanted Duryea out also until recently... it's only natural he moves onto his next target.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

21. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well if truth be told Jeemak wanted Duryea out also until recently... it's only natural he moves onto his next target.
    This isn't untrue. He's turned me around though.

23. Likes azabob liked this post