Thanks Thanks:  311
Likes Likes:  1,093
Page 44 of 121 FirstFirst ... 34353637383940414243444546474849505152535494 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Player Contract Status

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Appreciate that its moot now he has re-signed, but why would you gift a player a finals spot when you could give that to another equally capable player who is invested in the cause. Even if the skills gap is wide I would want 100% commitment to the cause.
    If it was a 50/50 choice, sure. But if a player that is in your best 22 is likely leaving why would damage your own chances of winning? It’s easy to have principles when there’s nothing on the line. Players are pros and teammates are much more understanding than fans generally are. I don’t think there are many sports in the world where this would even be a question.

Post Thanks / Like

A genuine question, please don’t read anything into it.

I thought we had a club rule that 30+ players get one year deals. Easton got two years last year. I’ve tried to find out why online and don’t have an answer. I wasn’t paying attention last year, so I don’t know. Why was Wood given 2 years?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post

I thought we had a club rule that 30+ players get one year deals. Easton got two years last year. I’ve tried to find out why online and don’t have an answer. I wasn’t paying attention last year, so I don’t know. Why was Wood given 2 years?
    I think that rule is out the door. In the past very few players could play well when they reached 30 plus, but these days with better training, diet etc lots of players are playing into their early 30s. That is all I can think of.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

4. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I think that rule is out the door. In the past very few players could play well when they reached 30 plus, but these days with better training, diet etc lots of players are playing into their early 30s. That is all I can think of.
    But Duryea is younger now, than Wood was last year. Doc just got a one year deal off the back of an outstanding season.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

No idea why Easton received 2yrs.. maybe it was a loyalty thing due to being an ex-captain, but his body keeps failing him and his impact when playing is lessened. If not contracted for next year I'd be looking for him to retire.

7. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

But Duryea is younger now, than Wood was last year. Doc just got a one year deal off the back of an outstanding season.
    Doc isn't our first Premiership Captain in 62 years. I think there's a bit of that in Easton's 2 year extension. I don't mind too much as a one off to be honest.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

There was much debate about it at the time. I was in the 1 year camp and couldn't understand why he was given 2. If his form and fitness this season warranted another 1 year contract for 2022 then fine. The other camp seemed to believe he deserved 2 years being a premiership captain and all. I believe his previous contract was very generous and he had already received just reward for his prior service.

10. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    There was much debate about it at the time. I was in the 1 year camp and couldn't understand why he was given 2. If his form and fitness this season warranted another 1 year contract for 2022 then fine. The other camp seemed to believe he deserved 2 years being a premiership captain and all. I believe his previous contract was very generous and he had already received just reward for his prior service.
    I happy with 2 years and would have been happy with Doc getting two. We need experience in our backline.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Was he in red hot form? Was there no 1 (+ 1 Trigger)? Or just being a Premiership Captain gets you tenure above and beyond the rule applied to others?

Post Thanks / Like

It's only a rule or a position when they want it to be a rule and the club would make more allowances for Easton

On form Duryea probably deserved a 2 year deal
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

14. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Or just being a Premiership Captain gets you tenure above and beyond the rule applied to others?
    This.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

16. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I happy with 2 years and would have been happy with Doc getting two. We need experience in our backline.
    But where is the advantage in giving out a 2 year contract to either of them? They aren't likely to be poached by anybody else. I can only see downside where they breakdown and we are stuck with them a year longer than we needed to be. Doc missed almost all of last season. If that happens again next year and he signed a 2 year contract we might be stuck with a player that can't get on the park for 2 years instead of 1.

The only way a 2 year contract for a player near the end could make sense is if the player was taking reduced terms across 2 years v 1.

Post Thanks / Like

But where is the advantage in giving out a 2 year contract to either of them? They aren't likely to be poached by anybody else. I can only see downside where they breakdown and we are stuck with them a year longer than we needed to be. Doc missed almost all of last season. If that happens again next year and he signed a 2 year contract we might be stuck with a player that can't get on the park for 2 years instead of 1.

The only way a 2 year contract for a player near the end could make sense is if the player was taking reduced terms across 2 years v 1.
    I would say dollars are substantially down compared to previous years.

Post Thanks / Like

You haven't taken into account the Barkly St. podcost co-hosting position.

Could it be a dollars v years equation?

Say Easton took a security deal over dollars now for eg with a new youngster in the fam.

I was joking but maybe he does supplement the lower figure with some extra curricular activity like the podcast.

Post Thanks / Like

I would say dollars are substantially down compared to previous years.
    Of course they are, I'm not seeing the relevance?