Thanks Thanks:  311
Likes Likes:  1,093
Page 89 of 121 FirstFirst ... 39798081828384858687888990919293949596979899 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,335 of 1809
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Player Contract Status

I've forgotten what all the differences are between the senior list and the rookie list. Is there a risk with not promoting a deserving rookie to the main list via a late draft pick?
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    very complicated business, these days. I have been reading your posts and they are very interesting. My 2 cents is that I have a natural aversion to trading future year picks for the current year. I get worried that comes the next draft, things have gone such that you really need to go to the draft and your highest pick isn't even worth draft points. 12 months can be a long time in football. I'm sure there are some clubs that have already done this to themselves. To me, it is kind of related to not managing your salary cap.
    Fair enough argument too. I guess my thinking is that with 3 x First Round selections in the next two drafts, it's a matter of taking two first rounders this year and one next year, or the reverse. We are still hitting the first round next year no matter what. And the theory is predicated on the club rating both players at Pick 11 (pushed to 12). Similar to 2019 ND - us drafting Pickett and then trading in to grab Weightman. Then drafting Dev Roberston with our early second. Which would be a massive return if the club nails all three picks with a 2023 First and Second rounder still in the bank with 3 x Fourth rounders. For next year, if the two/three picks were small forwards or other types that can play a good amount of footy next year, then that is an immediate benefit, if like the club, you believe the club is in the premiership window.

If that opportunity isn't there, if the player being traded into this year for is not considered worth the high value trade, then I wouldn't trade in this year.

But i'm open to the club exploring whether the current mix of 1 x 2022 & 2 x 2023 First Rounders gets flipped around to take two this year. The thing of it is we won't know for sure until Pick 14 is selected and GWS Pick 15 'may' be available.

Without checking other lis managers, i'd strongly suggest Sam Power is the best predictor of future pick value in the entire league (from past analysis i've done on his record with future picks). He hasn't lost a 'futures' trade by correctly seeing where we end up finishing, and where he correctly sees opposition clubs end up finishing the next year. If he was at a racecourse, you'd put all your money on his tips. So i'm comfortable that if Power makes a big decision like this with future picks, that he is betting on a winner.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

3. Thanks F'scary thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    I've forgotten what all the differences are between the senior list and the rookie list. Is there a risk with not promoting a deserving rookie to the main list via a late draft pick?
    Not anymore. They can all play senior footy unlike the rule back in the day and I don't imagine they'd be earning a lot more money (if any) in most cases. Once they've hit the their maximum 3 years then it's time to elevate or delist. By needlessly moving up a rookie we'd be say moving Pick 69 ND down to Pick 11 in the Rookie Draft. That could be something like a 20 pick (or more) sliding down the order of talent.

In times of Father/Sons, it's handy to have upgrading options if we need to free up spots to use draft points. Not sure where Croft or others are in the next year or two, but it makes more sense to elevate then rather than potentially take super late ND picks.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

5. Likes F'scary liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So if we were to trade back into this year's draft by swapping one of our future firsts, would be trade our future first or the future first we got from Brisbane?
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    So if we were to trade back into this year's draft by swapping one of our future firsts, would be trade our future first or the future first we got from Brisbane?
    It really depends on the pick we could get. GWS have a few but I don't think it really matters which one we trade. Both sides should finish close on the ladder anyway.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

8. Thanks SquirrelGrip thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It really depends on the pick we could get. GWS have a few but I don't think it really matters which one we trade. Both sides should finish close on the ladder anyway.
    Well if we are backing ourselves we trade our pick and keep the Brisbane one. Other teams are likely to think ours would be the earlier pick.

We want the best outcome from us finishing higher.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

10. Likes F'scary, SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    We were running with a full 6 category A rookies. You can have just the 4 category A rookies and have 2 more on the primary list.

So although you would think we will stick with the current structure and go +5 to the main list and +1 to the rookies, we could also:

+6 main list, or

+7 main list and -1 rookie list (through a rookie elevation).

Another possibility involves shifting a category B rookie to category A (Khamis, Raak), reducing the overall list size, although I'm not sure why we would do that.
    I think you’re right Axe.

Out: 7 players main list
    In: 4 players main list (Jones, Lobb, upgraded Khamis & Sweet as Sam Power has said we need to do)

3 Picks, with three main list spots. 2 Cat A RL spots, which can be rebalanced as you say.

But if we moved 1 RL spot into the ML. That’s a DFA option and three picks.
    But if we moved 2 RL spots into the ML. That’s a DFA option and four picks if we are looking to trade the Brisbane Future First to a late First this year.

Leaving One or No rookie draft picks with McNeil, McComb, Smith & Scott holding down four spots.

We can rebalance this list after the ND/before the RD so we can make the decision in/after the National Draft on one of the calls. The other question is whether we want a DFA on the main list, or hope to get them in the rookie draft.

If the depth is better next year by the Rookie Draft, it might be an added benefit to take the extra high pick this year and forgo to RD pick this year.

Looks like it’s going to be a very technical time for Sam Power.

Post Thanks / Like

I think RL promotions can count towards the 3 list changes if you want them to.

Post Thanks / Like

That’s factored in G.

Post Thanks / Like

A burning question with me is how do we expect to become more successful when we don't hire any DFA's? Why do we keep missing out?
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

I read it as 3 live picks at the draft plus rookie promotions for Sweet & Khamis
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

16. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I read it as 3 live picks at the draft plus rookie promotions for Sweet & Khamis
    Exactly Mof. It's 3 live picks, and upgrading Sweet and Buku, on top of Jones and Lobb (7 Players In). That's our maximum right now (with 7 Players Out).

But if Power re-balances the lists to add 2 Main List Spots (thus reducing the Rookie List by two spots), then we could adding two more players this year to the main list, such as a DFA and a potential 4th (good/high end) Draft Pick if an opportunity presents itself. If it doesn't, Power can just adjust the list by one and take Pick 11 in the Rookie Draft.

In essence, two existing rookies (Sweet and Buku) take up the very literal new last two spots on the list in re-balancing the list. We're just moving them laterally without needing to cut the Main List further. Assuming we want the option to look at a DFA and extra high/good pick this year if there's a good live trade available. Which would be a pretty good outcome if the club rates the players in each scenario.

Sam Power doesn't need to finalise anything until after the National Draft, so he can just play things out and see what happens.

18. Likes macca, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Exactly Mof. It's 3 live picks, and upgrading Sweet and Buku, on top of Jones and Lobb (7 Players In). That's our maximum right now (with 7 Players Out).

But if Power re-balances the lists to add 2 Main List Spots (thus reducing the Rookie List by two spots), then we could adding two more players this year to the main list, such as a DFA and a potential 4th (good/high end) Draft Pick if an opportunity presents itself. If it doesn't, Power can just adjust the list by one and take Pick 11 in the Rookie Draft.

In essence, two existing rookies (Sweet and Buku) take up the very literal new last two spots on the list in re-balancing the list. We're just moving them laterally without needing to cut the Main List further. Assuming we want the option to look at a DFA and extra high/good pick this year if there's a good live trade available. Which would be a pretty good outcome if the club rates the players in each scenario.

Sam Power doesn't need to finalise anything until after the National Draft, so he can just play things out and see what happens.
    I would love to see Roarke promoted to the senior list
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

20. Likes F'scary, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I would love to see Roarke promoted to the senior list
    That would make it impossible to take a DFA and extra good pick by taking another main list spot. Can he wait until next year?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    That would make it impossible to take a DFA and extra good pick by taking another main list spot. Can he wait until next year?
    We have a few too many players that are unlikely to play a lot of senior football next year so once again we are tight for list spots.

23. Likes F'scary liked this post