Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  27
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Three things you have learned-round 22 v GWS 2019

1 Lewis is ready IMO. I felt our best team had him in it, even just for development, given the season was going to waste. He had his hands full with Himmelburg early on. When the ball came in under duress, he was more than capable.

2 We can arrest momentum swings. Usually we would have ground to a halt on the scoreboard but the mix is right, the scoreboard is ticking over and keeping us going.

3 Duryea is our most important player, like an O ring on a space rocket.

2. Likes josie, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. We still love to lay multiple tackles inside our forward 50.

2. Crozier loves to tackle just as much as the high mark

3. Not sure you can get more moneyball than: Duyrea, Crozier, Suckling, Schache, Lloyd, Trengrove
    More of an In Bruges guy?

4. Likes Dancin' Douggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1/ When we play bruise free footy we are super easy to score against.. different story when we turn up the heat.

2/ We have gears many sides in the comp don't.

3/ Words I thought would never I'd say - Taylor Duryea makes us a better team.

6. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Taylor Duryea is a very under-rated footballer. Consummate professional small back he reads the play well, is strong overhead for his size, defends well and has a good left peg.

2. Lewis Young has got some moves. Has learnt from the best (Moz) when you win it look for a safe option sideways thereby putting the ball in the hands of someone who can really use it. Loved his game.

3. Trengove has his moments. He is liable to the odd fumble and is ungainly but geez he works hard. Having a big man who works that hard and never gives up is a valuable resource.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

8. Likes Testekill, S Coast Simon, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Lewis Young can play. After a slow start he looked composed from the 2nd qtr onwards. Maybe the MC have managed him well by keeping in the ressies allowing him to fine tune his craft.

2. We have a selection headache going into the last round and (hopefully) finals. Who makes way for English? Do we leave our talks and drop Hayes? Good headache to have.

3. As others have stated Duryea has been a valuable asset. Well done by the recruiting team to trade for him and all other mature recruits.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    1. Having Duryea in defence feels like having the 2015-16 Matty Boyd back in the side. Is strong overhead, can tackle and uses the ball well. Have no idea why we traded for him but starting to learn quick.
    Fantastic call. I’ve been trying to pin down my thoughts on Duryea but this is bang on. He’s such a calming and assured presence on the field.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

1. When we kick straight we usually win.
    2. We have kicked straight the last 2 weeks.
    3. We need to kick straight against Adelaide.

12. Likes bulldogtragic, azabob, 1eyedog, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Fantastic call. I’ve been trying to pin down my thoughts on Duryea but this is bang on. He’s such a calming and assured presence on the field.
    Also just have a look at Duryea telling guys where to go and who to man up on. He gives a lot of direction down back.

Post Thanks / Like

1. We are a very good side when we get our game going.
    2. We have been able to get our game going most weeks since the positioning has been settled. Forwards playing forward, mids playing mid. And in particular Bont and Dunks mid almost 100%.
    3. Having our forwards play forward may be contributing to our good kicking at goal of late. Think we got to 10.3 for the second time in a row - if we were 4.9 - we'd have been 32 points adrift and possibly out of the game.

Post Thanks / Like

1. Lewis Young can play. Loved that he didn't drop his head after having a couple goals kicked on him.

2. We have some genuine selection headache

3. This team just might end up better than the 2016 version. There are some really good signs coupled with youth
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

1. When we are on and the oppo pressure drops 0.1%, look out - we are the Black Mamba of the AFL. We can wreck your day in a heartbeat.

2. Doc Duryea proved his worth again - we would have beaten the "Mighty" Lions 2 weeks ago if he had played.

3. The AFL needs to do something about the ridiculously high ticket prices at GIANTS Stadium - 10K is a terrible look - drop the prices to build a following and then raise them once the demand is there. I was told it costs $95 for a premium seat there - it is cheaper to go to a final at the MCG.
    Footscray member since 1980.

17. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

4. Bonts hit on Haynes is actually far worse. Haynes is out for 4 weeks with a throat injury and will therefore miss their first final - which is against us if Collingwood beat Essendon and we of course win.

5. Because Bonts accepted the fine before the injury was fully understood, and would've turned into a suspension potentially, he remains Brownlow eligible.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

19. Likes Mofra, 1eyedog, Bulldog4life, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking forward to drinking some mighty salty tears if the Bont pinches Charlie this year.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

21. Likes Topdog, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Turns out the club knows what it's doing when it has younger players developing in the VFL; Young played in the ruck in VFL specifically so that he'd learn to become more aware in a contest and it has played dividends. Same as Lipinski, he needed to work on some things and his time in the VFL has led to him being one of our most improved players this season.

2. The Giants absolutely wanted Bont suspended out of spite. They said nothing when Greene kicked Dahlhaus in the face or when Cameron caused a brain lesion.

3. We probably would have beaten Brisbane with Duryea in the team.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post

2/ We have gears many sides in the comp don't.
    I like this one - Can you elaborate on it?