Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  41
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: A little something to ponder...

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Never seen it with Tomlinson - Young is a far better prospect and Tomlinson would cost a first round pick. He’s not great at any position; he’s basically a younger Trengove.
    Although being a free agent probably won't change your view.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Although being a free agent probably won't change your view.
    Not really. If he isn't what we need then the fact he comes free is neither here nor there.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Not really. If he isn't what we need then the fact he comes free is neither here nor there.
    A 194cm, 96kg, 26yo, played 136 games in a good side, played all 21 games this year averging 17.3 disposals and 6.2 marks at CHB with multiple career best numbers, and who has good disposal and skill.

I'm interested. I think he'd get a game on need with us. Free makes it better.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

A 194cm, 96kg, 26yo, played 136 games in a good side, played all 21 games this year averging 17.3 disposals and 6.2 marks at CHB with multiple career best numbers, and who has good disposal and skill.

Is he really a CHB? Maybe I didn't watch all that closely, but I can't remember seeing him lining up on Schache or Naughton all tat often.

He's a HBF'er/ wingman.

5. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We already have a few of his type that I'd like us to be playing instead of bringing in a similar player on big money. I know we have plenty to spend but lets get the stucture right first.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Is he really a CHB? Maybe I didn't watch all that closely, but I can't remember seeing him lining up on Schache or Naughton all tat often.

He's a HBF'er/ wingman.
    True. Perhaps just 'defender' (inc. high half back) would've been more accurate. That clarification aside, for the right wage as a free agent he'd be a handy addition for a mature player with his height, agility and skill.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    We already have a few of his type that I'd like us to be playing instead of bringing in a similar player on big money. I know we have plenty to spend but lets get the stucture right first.
    Who is similar? Roberts will be delisted. Young is still raw, but signs are good. Different to JT & Cordy. Probably closest to Wood as an athletic third tall sort. Tomlinson seems to have had a better year than Wood. But competition for spots is no issue.

The argument to go hard at Keath as an intercepting KPD (or similar) is a good one. But I wouldn't dismiss looking at Tomlinson.

Post Thanks / Like

We actually need any player who makes us better!

Tomlinson would definitely make us better and we'd just end up paying what the market would end up paying him. He could definitely do a job for us, on the wings or in defence, and has improvement left in him like many talls his age do.

It's not likely we'll land the perfect defender, actually landing Tomlinson as a free agent would be fantastic, so while we can look elsewhere for that perfect defender there's no harm in keeping an eye on him.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

10. Likes bulldogtragic, The Doctor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

And earlier in the year, when it was getting loud about our interest, the media were reporting we wanted him as a forward.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post

Tomlinson would definitely make us better and we'd just end up paying what the market would end up paying him. He could definitely do a job for us, on the wings or in defence, and has improvement left in him like many talls his age do.

It's not likely we'll land the perfect defender, actually landing Tomlinson as a free agent would be fantastic, so while we can look elsewhere for that perfect defender there's no harm in keeping an eye on him.
    Based on the team that played on Sunday, who comes out for Tomlinson? I don't believe he makes us a better team.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Why isn't Tomlinson that player? Is it still because he is too short?
    He is just not a KPP. Not sure how many times I have to put my opinion forward. Just put the short thing aside.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I would think it's the type/style of player that Tomlinson is rather than his size, he is the perfect size for a KPD.. he just doesn't play as one.

Maybe we can mold him into this type of player, but given he's a 6-7 year player it is a stretch to think he can become a combative key defender.
    He hasn't been used as one either this year. I don't mind anyone challenging his true position but the original diagnosis on him was because he was too short at 192cm when he was really 194cm
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    He is just not a KPP. Not sure how many times I have to put my opinion forward. Just put the short thing aside.
    But you make sweeping statements about age, height and 'not wanting players near the club' without supporting it with valid reasons
    If you don't want to be challenged about it again why did you quote Dry Rot's comment?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post

Agreed, the best players play. Once we sorted out the selection mess earlier this season we've started to play our best football and hopefully that is a good lesson for us going forward

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    But you make sweeping statements about age, height and 'not wanting players near the club' without supporting it with valid reasons
    If you don't want to be challenged about it again why did you quote Dry Rot's comment?
    So this is a sweeping statement:

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Going over old ground.

I go by the adage, draft the best available and trade for needs.

I believe our needs are:

* Key Position Defender - Tomlinson is not that player.

* Speedy outside mid/winger -

* Small goal sneak, ala, Betts, Cameron type.

We are covered in most other areas.
    I have already said this in another thread, we don't need a Tomlinson, we need a KPP. Just because I don't agree with you, you just want to keep at me. Not sure why