Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  41
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: A little something to ponder...

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    I pity Sam Power he will have some hard decisions to make trading or delisting very good players in the near future.
    Its a good problem to have
    But we need to make tough calls on guys like Jong , porter , Lynch , Webb, Greene and williams

In the last 2 weeks there is a sense of ruthlessness we have exhibited in the last half
    21 goals vs cheats in a row last week
    12 goals today against a plasticis

Against 2 teams above us

Brisbane and geelong were like this during their premiership trifectas

I am truly excited and hope we can land a big fish during next trade period

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    That was just one example.
    Out of interest what do you think the biggest change is? It's hard for me to get the whole picture as I can't get to games.

Our ball movement has been much better from what I have been able to see on TV, and we don't seem to get as exposed over the back as we were earlier which tells me we're not pressing forward as hard and generally running to the right spots at the right time.

Having both Schache and Naughton contributing and creating contests really helps us as well. Our defence even though not perfectly structured from a personnel perspective, and form has been stable and stability really helps no matter what.

Mostly though I think it's the effort that has become more consistent within games, and you can really tell when that drops away (see the Saints game for a prime example). It's a cliche, but if we actually bring the required effort we can be competitive.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    I think we should acknowledge the adjustment the Match Committee made, rather than pan Dunkley playing forward.
    1. Dunks playing forward was a numbers game. We needed to fit a bunch of blokes in the squad and they all couldn't play significant minutes in the mids.
    2. Given above, I think the MC made a logical call to play Dunks and Mclean up forward in the knowledge they are best 22. Its not like the forward line was foreign territory for them both, given they'd performed more than admirably there in 2016.
    3. Fantastic that the MC adjusted their strategy when evidence over a number of games suggested it wasn't working.
    It's a really good example of wanting all your good players in the side if you can without giving away too much structurally. Usually injury and form has a way of working these things out though, and it didn't really work for us.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the beauty is the fact that we don't have to land a big fish in the trade period.

We now have a nucleus that has grown together, we have added further elite talent in Naughty,Smith and English and all we need now is needs based quality role payers which is absolutely achievable with the cap space we have.

We should also need to ponder Jamarra Ugle-Hagan joining the dogs in 2021

5. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

JUH & MacPherson will be more than welcome additions for sure.

I don't think we need to land any 'big fishes' and I'd prefer we don't chase the Cogs etc. We already have current crop of big fishes and future big fishes on the list. What I think we need is several players moving into their best years of footy (25-27yo), in roles we really need. Tomlinson, Martin & Tippa (as the media has us linked to) would be an ideal outcome. Tall defender, quick small forward and outside/inside class and run. These guys at their peak will be playing with a lot of our guys at their peak is a good recipe. As Jee as mentioned, some ruck cover would be ideal as well. Adding in elite priority access players is just us being greedy! And I love it!!
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post

I don't think we need to land any 'big fishes' and I'd prefer we don't chase the Cogs etc. We already have current crop of big fishes and future big fishes on the list. What I think we need is several players moving into their best years of footy (25-27yo), in roles we really need. Tomlinson, Martin & Tippa (as the media has us linked to) would be an ideal outcome. Tall defender, quick small forward and outside/inside class and run. These guys at their peak will be playing with a lot of our guys at their peak is a good recipe. As Jee as mentioned, some ruck cover would be ideal as well. Adding in elite priority access players is just us being greedy! And I love it!!
    If JUH is as good as what he's putting up in the juniors...we are in for a treat as supporters over the next decade with Naughton, Schache and him up front.
    I will be livid if the AFL finds a way to deny our access to the kid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    If JUH is as good as what he's putting up in the juniors...we are in for a treat as supporters over the next decade with Naughton, Schache and him up front.
    I will be livid if the AFL finds a way to deny our access to the kid.
    Ozza said recently something about not being too stressed about things, although the AFEL is liable to change for no reason from that point in time. Mofra the other day pointed out JUH is sharing and liking dogs stuff on social media. So he thinks he's coming to us or winding us all up in order to get to Hawthorn...
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 18-08-2019 at 10:38 PM.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

9. Likes ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It really is fascinating where the improvement has come from. After the Carlton win I think we were all despondent at how we were performing. We really looked like a team out of ideas.

I feel chemistry has grown in the mid field. And I’m not that sure we are missing Libba and Wally as much as we thought...and, an unpopular view no doubt, but Caleb Daniel not in backline makes us a better team.

And we underestimated the self belief that the group retained. There’s a glint in the eyes of Bont, Macrae, Dunkley et al. They want to get back up there and they’re committed to making it happen again.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    I think the beauty is the fact that we don't have to land a big fish in the trade period.

We now have a nucleus that has grown together, we have added further elite talent in Naughty,Smith and English and all we need now is needs based quality role payers which is absolutely achievable with the cap space we have.

We should also need to ponder Jamarra Ugle-Hagan joining the dogs in 2021
    What are your thoughts on chasing a Rance or Davis type. We could easily use s big key general down back. Captaincy on the table if needed. I’m sure the Bont wouldn’t mind.
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post

Some in the media believe we only have a couple of elite players in Bontempelli and Macrae, with Dunkley on the door step, and a heap of really good footballers at the next level.

How many of that next level will turn into genuinely elite players? Given Naughton is leading the competition for contested marks as a 19 year old you might make an argument to already put him in that bracket, but for mine he'll get there but isn't quite yet (providing he works on his goal kicking over summer - and gets a little help from the umpires in the future). Bailey Smith looks like he will in time, and who knows what English could be or how long it will take to get there.

Six genuine competition elite players supported by a blend of really good players is great, but an elite key defender would be the ultimate and would improve us immensely. But, if one isn't available then so be it, we can settle for really good for the time being, but we should always be doing what we can to find one because they are invaluable in stopping the opposition and helping launch attacks.

13. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Some in the media believe we only have a couple of elite players in Bontempelli and Macrae, with Dunkley on the door step, and a heap of really good footballers at the next level.

How many of that next level will turn into genuinely elite players? Given Naughton is leading the competition for contested marks as a 19 year old you might make an argument to already put him in that bracket, but for mine he'll get there but isn't quite yet (providing he works on his goal kicking over summer - and gets a little help from the umpires in the future). Bailey Smith looks like he will in time, and who knows what English could be or how long it will take to get there.

Six genuine competition elite players supported by a blend of really good players is great, but an elite key defender would be the ultimate and would improve us immensely. But, if one isn't available then so be it, we can settle for really good for the time being, but we should always be doing what we can to find one because they are invaluable in stopping the opposition and helping launch attacks.
    I don't see one being available (I wouldn't mind being wrong), but the best two unsigned are Tomlinson & Keith and we've been mentioned as interested in both. I agree with you on grabbing one in they become available. If we can sure up a very good best 22 for years to come, then I have no problem in trying to trade most years like Hawthorn did. There's going to be a new CBA and players moving to retirement (Dicko, Suckling, Trengove, Wood etc) so we still should be well placed to have some money to put at one important target. I'd agree, that's a KPD with a gun midfield with Naughton, Schache & JUH.

Post Thanks / Like

Schache is an interesting proposition BT. He's managing to regularly impact the scoreboard without being an aerial threat, even though he is bringing the ball to ground often which is great, but how is he classified if he can take some more contested marks and get on the end of forward moves regularly?

I think our depth of talent will allow us to be really bold at the trade table. For instance, if EFC loses McDonald-Tipungwuti, and Daniher this year, and slide, a player like Hurley might not want to stick around for a rebuild and a club like us could prise him loose (and finally spend the Hurley money on Hurley!). We'd hopefully have some currency at the trade table if everyone develops like we hope they will.

That's just one example, but we should always be trying to raid the talent of other clubs, they'll try and do it to us so stuff them!

16. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Schache is an interesting proposition BT. He's managing to regularly impact the scoreboard without being an aerial threat, even though he is bringing the ball to ground often which is great, but how is he classified if he can take some more contested marks and get on the end of forward moves regularly?

I think our depth of talent will allow us to be really bold at the trade table. For instance, if EFC loses McDonald-Tipungwuti, and Daniher this year, and slide, a player like Hurley might not want to stick around for a rebuild and a club like us could prise him loose (and finally spend the Hurley money on Hurley!). We'd hopefully have some currency at the trade table if everyone develops like we hope they will.

That's just one example, but we should always be trying to raid the talent of other clubs, they'll try and do it to us so stuff them!
    I think Schache is going to be a player, I've always thought that. In time I think the closest example, in my eyes, and not exactly like for likes is Kennedy & Darling.

Kennedy (Naughton) has those vice like hands. Moves well, takes the best defender and averages 2.5 goals a game.
    Darling (Schache) covers the ground well. Has a knock early on about physicality but grew into his body and averages 1.8 goals a game. Getting better year on year.
    As a team these two work well, pose different threats, and bring the other forwards into the game.

Josh since coming back has kicked 16.3. That's an elite pocket of form, plus GAs etc. Despite his poorer games this year Josh is 20th on the goal kicking average per game, averaging 1.8 goals (Darling's career average). Despite being the youngest on the list ahead of him. If this is him developing as a player, and finding consistency as a player I would be happy. But he's still so young (21) and got so much more to grow. He will start to take an extra mark or two (his marking is down this year on average), and maybe get closer attention from the umpires too. With his accuracy there's no reason to think he can't jump from 1.8 towards 2-2.5 goals a game. His career average goal per game has been 0.9, 0.9, 1.3 & 1.8 this year. It's a trend that will continue, especially with improved forward entries like this year.

My biased view is that he will move to elite or close to elite within two years. I say that because he's forward partner only started playing forward 4 months ago. Yet we can lock them in for 4-5 goals a game already. If we can get them a gun assistant forward coach, the leading patterns, understanding and forward craft will make both of them better players. As Naughton gets better, I see that Schache gets the lesser KPD which is better for him. If they can more frequently seperate there's hopefully more of a chance Schache doesn't have a pack around him. Plus Schache's tank gives him a huge advantage in working out different opponents. He's just going to get better and I love a kid who kicks 16.3 in a period. The heart rate relaxes when he has it (38.17 in 25 games for us = goal accuracy of circa 70% accurate. That's Tory Dickson like levels since Josh has come across).

But I've always said I'm biased on Josh (& Tom before him).

The Hurley Money on Hurley. Is Hurley still worth Hurley money? (I'd do it in a heart beat)
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 19-08-2019 at 11:20 AM.

18. Likes jeemak, azabob, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have always found the commentary around Schache a bit puzzling. Even now commentators talk about him finally showing us what he is capable of. The guy's a raw 21 year old and 199cm tall! He was always going to take time, and sure, like any young player has things he needs to work on and for him that was his intensity and willingness to stay involved.

He's sublimely talented and is becoming more and more competitive each week, and it also seems as if he is happy. The last bit is important.

20. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hurley had his chance so I say stuff him.
    As for a forward coach we should be in Roughead's ear. Newly out of the system with a successful club he would be a benefit to our young forwards.
    I have read on here that he's bound to another club.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

22. Likes 1eyedog liked this post