Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  41
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: A little something to ponder...

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I think Schache is going to be a player, I've always thought that. In time I think the closest example, in my eyes, and not exactly like for likes is Kennedy & Darling.

Kennedy (Naughton) has those vice like hands. Moves well, takes the best defender and averages 2.5 goals a game.
    Darling (Schache) covers the ground well. Has a knock early on about physicality but grew into his body and averages 1.8 goals a game. Getting better year on year.
    As a team these two work well, pose different threats, and bring the other forwards into the game.

Josh since coming back has kicked 16.3. That's an elite pocket if form, plus GAs etc. Despite his poorer games this year Josh is 20th on the comp goal kicking tally and averaging 1.8 goals (Darling's career average). If this is him developing as a player, and finding consistency as a player I would be happy. But he's still so young (21) and got so much more to grow. He will start to take an extra mark or two (his marking is down this year on average), and maybe get closer attention from the umpires too. With his accuracy there's no reason to think he can't jump from 1.8 towards 2-2.5 goals a game. His career average goal per game has been 0.9, 0.9, 1.3 & 1.8 this year. It's a trend that will continue, especially with improved forward entries like this year.

My biased view is that he will move to elite or close to elite within two years. I say that because he's forward partner only started playing forward 4 months ago. Yet we can lock them in for 4-5 goals a game already. If we can get them a gun assistant forward coach, the leading patterns, understanding and forward craft will make both of them better players. As Naughton gets better, I see that Schache gets the lesser KPD which is better for him. If they can more frequently seperate there's hopefully more of a chance Schache doesn't have a pack around him. Plus Schache's tank gives him a huge advantage in working out different opponents. He's just going to get better and I love a kid who kicks 16.3 in a period. The heart rate relaxes when he has it (38.17 in 25 games for us).

But I've always said I'm biased on Josh (& Tom before him).

The Hurley Money on Hurley. Is Hurley still worth Hurley money? (I'd do it in a heart beat)
    I thought that you had measured your heart rate and written it down for a second.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

2. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I have always found the commentary around Schache a bit puzzling. Even now commentators talk about him finally showing us what he is capable of. The guy's a raw 21 year old and 199cm tall! He was always going to take time, and sure, like any young player has things he needs to work on and for him that was his intensity and willingness to stay involved.

He's sublimely talented and is becoming more and more competitive each week, and it also seems as if he is happy. The last bit is important.
    Exactly. We may as well not count the Brisbane years. Homesickness and stress is not conducive to development. He's happy and now he's looking comfortable out there. Last week when he took an advantage and snapped a 35m goal absolutely nonchalantly, right through the exact middle, I was thinking to myself that's a guy whose comfortable and confident at the level (and a rare talent). The smiles and high fives was nice too.

If we've learnt anything as a group of Bulldogs people, it's to tell commentators (inc. Leigh Matthews & Black Soul) to *!*!*!*! off and support our own. Embrace them, encourage them and support them. We will feel better for it, and our players will be better (if even minorly) for it. Don't get me wrong, there's room for criticism and honest opinion on form. But he's tracking really well for a 21 year old.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    Hurley had his chance so I say stuff him.
    As for a forward coach we should be in Roughead's ear. Newly out of the system with a successful club he would be a benefit to our young forwards.
    I have read on here that he's bound to another club.
    Roughy would be ideal. There were years where he and Buddy were just all out for anything. Then Buddy's last year where the focus was him and lessen going to Buddy. Games where they employed different roles as two KPFs. You'd think he'd have some ideas about developing plans using two KPFs in different ways but for maximum effect.

That would involve us letting some existing ones go.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

People make more of his form at Brisbane than what they should.

Here's a fun comparison with Tom Hawkins at the same age. Notice the weight difference:

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...&fid1=O&fid2=O
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

6. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Those pesky facts...

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone, repeat after me:

TOMLINSON IS NOT A KEY POSITION DEFENDER.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

9. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post

His name was Robert Paulsen.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

11. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thankyou, I have said that all along. Not a player we need at this stage.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Thankyou, I have said that all along. Not a player we need at this stage.
    Can you please add your logic behind that though? We need context

Originally it was because he wasn't tall enough wasn't it?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post

Where do you see him playing if you're still interested in him that is?

If anything I'd see him as a third tall Cordy-type. I can't see him in our midfield and I think we'll rob Peter to pay Paul having him on a wing. Forward is a possibility but he hasn't played there a lot.

Not sure how he works now.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

I like him as a spare parts player but yes we underrate him, we could still do with another KP defender and a ruck man though
    Yep - I think we need a legitimate intercepting KPD (Keath). Compliments Trengove perfectly.

I wonder how we view Sweet after a pre-season. Doesn't have an AFL tank this year but might be ready as a back-up next year.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Yep.
    He would be handy though. Can pinch hit anywhere, great kick for goal yesterday. Barlow with aggression.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Yep - I think we need a legitimate intercepting KPD (Keath). Compliments Trengove perfectly.

I wonder how we view Sweet after a pre-season. Doesn't have an AFL tank this year but might be ready as a back-up next year.
    Having an additional mature KPD means if English does go down for a week here and there, Trengove can provide decent coverage.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post

Currently Sweet will need to improve both his tank and his footy IQ in my opinion but another year as a rookie will tell the story if he has the talent. His tap work is good but if he improves his mobility he might be a chance
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Going over old ground.

I go by the adage, draft the best available and trade for needs.

I believe our needs are:

* Key Position Defender - Tomlinson is not that player.

* Speedy outside mid/winger -

* Small goal sneak, ala, Betts, Cameron type.

We are covered in most other areas.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

20. Likes Dancin' Douggy liked this post