I am annoying to watch the footy with.

I hate the commentators.
I dislike the umpires.

The commentators feel it is necessary to explain every last element of the game to us.
The umpires simply don't know the rules.

Here is an example from the Essendon vs Freo game last week involving AFL premiership player Jake Stringer. He kicks a goal - but should have been awarded a point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJc57NofbHU . (Go to 3:11 in the video to see the passage of play).

The appropriate rule (19.4.1) states:

19.4.2 Crossing the Goal Line or Behind Line

(a) In the event the Player from the Defending Team crosses the Goal Line or Behind Line and then elects or is called to play on:

(i) . the Player must re-enter the Playing Surface by crossing the same Goal Line or Behind Line; and

(ii) . the Player must move in one direction off the line of The Mark in the process of re-entering the Playing Surface.

(b) If the Player breaches 19.4.2(a)(i) or (ii), including being tackled, a Behind shall be registered.

(c) If the Player, in disposing of the football, hits either the goal or behind post, the Player shall be given the football again to recommence play.

What Stringer did? You CANNOT DO THAT! You just can't do it. He runs over the goal-line, through the points, back into the field of play over the boundary, plays on and kicks the goal. You CANNOT DO THAT.

No-one watches the games anymore so no-one knows the rules - so no-one calls it out. The umpires don't actually watch footy so they don't know the rules so they can't adjudicate upon it. The players don't watch footy either so they have no idea what is going on.

Now - no-one is going to care because everyone wanted Essendon to win...but that was an important moment in a really (really) tight contest. Stringer goal disallowed? Well, Freo got the next goal so the margin is back to single figures and who knows...Ross Lyon is sacked 3 days later...if they win is he sacked? Footy clubs are weird places so who knows...

Not only that, Essendon lose, the entire make-up of the final 8 changes.