Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2
    Post Thanks / Like

The umpires just don't know the rules.

I am annoying to watch the footy with.

I hate the commentators.
    I dislike the umpires.

The commentators feel it is necessary to explain every last element of the game to us.
    The umpires simply don't know the rules.

Here is an example from the Essendon vs Freo game last week involving AFL premiership player Jake Stringer. He kicks a goal - but should have been awarded a point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJc57NofbHU . (Go to 3:11 in the video to see the passage of play).

The appropriate rule (19.4.1) states:

19.4.2 Crossing the Goal Line or Behind Line

(a) In the event the Player from the Defending Team crosses the Goal Line or Behind Line and then elects or is called to play on:

(i) . the Player must re-enter the Playing Surface by crossing the same Goal Line or Behind Line; and

(ii) . the Player must move in one direction off the line of The Mark in the process of re-entering the Playing Surface.

(b) If the Player breaches 19.4.2(a)(i) or (ii), including being tackled, a Behind shall be registered.

(c) If the Player, in disposing of the football, hits either the goal or behind post, the Player shall be given the football again to recommence play.

What Stringer did? You CANNOT DO THAT! You just can't do it. He runs over the goal-line, through the points, back into the field of play over the boundary, plays on and kicks the goal. You CANNOT DO THAT.

No-one watches the games anymore so no-one knows the rules - so no-one calls it out. The umpires don't actually watch footy so they don't know the rules so they can't adjudicate upon it. The players don't watch footy either so they have no idea what is going on.

Now - no-one is going to care because everyone wanted Essendon to win...but that was an important moment in a really (really) tight contest. Stringer goal disallowed? Well, Freo got the next goal so the margin is back to single figures and who knows...Ross Lyon is sacked 3 days later...if they win is he sacked? Footy clubs are weird places so who knows...

Not only that, Essendon lose, the entire make-up of the final 8 changes.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

2. Thanks chef thanked for this post
    Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The umpires just don't know the rules.

I'm not sure that rule applies in that situation - it clearly states the defending team - when a player takes the mark on the opposition goal line.

To me Stringer returns to the correct position behind his mark before he plays on, no issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I'm not sure that rule applies in that situation - it clearly states the defending team - when a player takes the mark on the opposition goal line.

To me Stringer returns to the correct position behind his mark before he plays on, no issue.
    Agree with this. Only applies to the defensive player.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post

Yep.

Sorry MJP. You've misread the rules here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Yep.

At least he did so spectacularly, and didn't phone it in.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

7. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would like to thank MJP for making learning about technical rules interesting.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Yep.

No. I haven't.

He CANNOT go through the points and out around the boundary line and then play on. That should have been registered as a point.

There is no difference between the 'defensive' player and any other player in this situation. The defensive player is a player WITHOUT THE BALL...

He CANNOT DO THAT. The rule is not applied differently depending on what end of the ground the ball is. He continuously moves after taking the mark - and immediately goes off his line. That's play on. He is initially behind the goal line and effectively uses the point post to shield himself from the defender - who cannot step forward without risking a 50m penalty.

He CANNOT DO THAT. Even if I accept the supposition that because he is not the defensive player he can do whatever he wants (which is BS - the second he goes off his line that's play-on whether or not you think 19.4.2 applies or not) the umpire cannot allow him to play-on without setting the mark in that situation. He should have - at the very least - been made to go back and take his kick.

I am 100% tired of this. We need to put up with a situation where Suckling kicks a goal from 55m out and a nonsensical review delays the game and changes the score, however a player running off his line deep in the forward 50m area is allowed to effectively do whatever he wants with an umpire right there? No CHANCE. When he went off his line he played on - if momentum was the cause then he needs to go back behind his mark and take his kick. He simply cannot do both (use momentum as the reason for not getting behind his mark then play on without the mark being set and he 100% could not get away with that in any other part of the field).
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    No. I haven't.

He CANNOT go through the points and out around the boundary line and then play on. That should have been registered as a point.

There is no difference between the 'defensive' player and any other player in this situation. The defensive player is a player WITHOUT THE BALL...

He CANNOT DO THAT. The rule is not applied differently depending on what end of the ground the ball is. He continuously moves after taking the mark - and immediately goes off his line. That's play on. He is initially behind the goal line and effectively uses the point post to shield himself from the defender - who cannot step forward without risking a 50m penalty.

He CANNOT DO THAT. Even if I accept the supposition that because he is not the defensive player he can do whatever he wants (which is BS - the second he goes off his line that's play-on whether or not you think 19.4.2 applies or not) the umpire cannot allow him to play-on without setting the mark in that situation. He should have - at the very least - been made to go back and take his kick.

I am 100% tired of this. We need to put up with a situation where Suckling kicks a goal from 55m out and a nonsensical review delays the game and changes the score, however a player running off his line deep in the forward 50m area is allowed to effectively do whatever he wants with an umpire right there? No CHANCE. When he went off his line he played on - if momentum was the cause then he needs to go back behind his mark and take his kick. He simply cannot do both (use momentum as the reason for not getting behind his mark then play on without the mark being set and he 100% could not get away with that in any other part of the field).
    So he stepped back into the field of play via/over the boundary line next to the behind post after running the ball through the behind line? I agree with you. He can't do that.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with MJP, you can't run around the point post and then come back into the field of play
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I suspect the umpire set the mark while he was out of shot. Stringer then plays on from where he's been told to stand.

Or not...

Post Thanks / Like

Well explained MJP.

I agree. He should have been required to have his mark set and lined up before he could be allowed to take his kick,
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

I recall a player doing it against us at (then) Etihad two years ago, the opposition cheers quad lost it as they didn't know the rule either.

There are a lot of basic rules fans seem to forget. e.g. If you're taking a free kick from outside the field of play and step over the boundary line into the field, it's play on. Always seems to get a few whingers with "he hasn't had long enough yet".
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers