Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Jaidyn Stephenson - The AFL are making it up as they go along.

Fixture quirk allows banned Pie to make surprise VFL return

SUSPENDED Collingwood youngster Jaidyn Stephenson will make an earlier than anticipated return to football on Saturday – in the VFL.

The 20-year-old was banned ahead of round 14 for 22 games, 12 of which were suspended, for placing bets on Collingwood games and most assumed he wouldn't be available until the Magpies' first final.

However, the AFL has ruled that Stephenson's effective 10-game ban will expire after the Magpies face Essendon in their final round clash at the MCG on Friday night, making him eligible to play in the VFL against Box Hill Hawks at Box Hill City Oval the next day.

Collingwood's VFL team cannot qualify for finals, meaning Saturday's game is the final opportunity for Stephenson to play a competitive game ahead of the Magpies' first final.

Pies coach Nathan Buckley, in announcing Stephenson's return at state-league level, described the development as "a small win" and lauded the brilliant forward's commitment to his preparation during his exile.

"His attitude and workrate's been amazing. We couldn't have asked any more of him. The way he's applied himself into his training block ... We had a small win this week," Buckley told reporters.

"(It's) fortuitous that we had a Friday night game so Jaidyn plays in the VFL on Saturday, which gives him a run around.

"That will be another progression for him, which is something that works in our favour and in his, and probably gives him another step up in a match situation before having to come back a couple of weeks later."

The AFL confirmed Stephenson's ban would end on Friday night after Collingwood's match against Essendon.

The reigning NAB AFL Rising Star award winner's absence has hurt the Magpies. Before his suspension, Stephenson hadn't missed a game, making 38 consecutive appearances, kicking 59 goals and having 23 goal assists, creating havoc as a speedy, deep option.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jaidyn Stephenson - The AFL are making it up as they go along.

This is BEYOND absurd.

Since when does a suspension end half way through a round of football.

The suspension period was contrived from the start and Collingwood have now been handed a massive leg up they do not deserve.

This is no fixture quirk, this is the AFL selectively applying the rules in regards to suspensions.

Post Thanks / Like

Rule changes for Richmond, shortened suspensions for Collingwood.

What a week at AFL headquarters.

4. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    Rule changes for Richmond, shortened suspensions for Collingwood.

What a week at AFL headquarters.
    I think the rule change was an example of the AFL doing what they are supposed to do and administrating the game. The rule was not implemented to prevent things like the Reiwoldt mark (nor the one earlier in the year by Howe) and needed to be changed. No one is hurt by this - everyone benefits.

The change to the conditions of the Stephenson suspension is a disgrace.

And - just by the way - Bont is VERY VERY VERY lucky that the Giants didn't complete their medical assessment of Haynes before filing their post-match response. I know none of us on here like the situation or the rule as it stands around impact and injury, but if the shoe was on the other foot we would be screaming blue murder right now.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I think the rule change was an example of the AFL doing what they are supposed to do and administrating the game. The rule was not implemented to prevent things like the Reiwoldt mark (nor the one earlier in the year by Howe) and needed to be changed. No one is hurt by this - everyone benefits.

And - just by the way - Bont is VERY VERY VERY lucky that the Giants didn't complete their medical assessment of Haynes before filing their post-match response. I know none of us on here like the situation or the rule as it stands around impact and injury, but if the shoe was on the other foot we would be screaming blue murder right now.
    Absolutely agree, on all points.

Post Thanks / Like

Whilst I don't disagree, at the same time, I'd be going to the tribunal, putting the Giants doctor in the box and asking him why a player who was 'struggling to breathe' played out the second half.

As far as the rule changes go, I've got no issue with the fact that the rule was amended. It was a shit rule and is now worded far better. My issue is that the rule change has come about on the eve of finals, off the back of what is, essentially, a stand-alone incident.

8. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Whilst I don't disagree, at the same time, I'd be going to the tribunal, putting the Giants doctor in the box and asking him why a player who was 'struggling to breathe' played out the second half.

As far as the rule changes go, I've got no issue with the fact that the rule was amended. It was a shit rule and is now worded far better. My issue is that the rule change has come about on the eve of finals, off the back of what is, essentially, a stand-alone incident.
    I think he is lucky in the sense that he would've got weeks. Whether I agree that action deserves weeks I'm not sure. It was an incredibly rare injury, can we legislitate out every possible injury even those no one has ever suffered? Terrible for Haynes.

Post Thanks / Like

In the Haynes case, if the shoe was on the other foot, I’d shrug, say meh, and lament the way the game is heading when there was a legitimate chance a player can get rubbed out for multiple weeks over an incident like that.

Regardless of the jumper he was wearing, it was a free kick...at most...and should never have been in the hands of the MRO.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

11. Likes Grantysghost, bornadog, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

AFL’s decision on Jaidyn Stephenson fails pub test

It is the Collingwood heist that could yet deliver the Pies the premiership.

Jaidyn Stephenson’s ability to play a VFL game on Saturday is exactly the break Collingwood needed.

It is a bizarre own goal by the AFL, a decision that utterly fails the pub test and is almost impossible for the league to explain.

How could they land at a ten-game ban rather than ten weeks?

How could a player ruled out for the season be allowed to play a VFL game before Round 23 was complete?

It was the miracle Hail Mary attempt from Stephenson himself to ask the AFL that must have had the Pies hierarchy laughing and backslapping inside the walls of the Holden Centre when they got back the reply.

Even famously gruff football boss Geoff Walsh might have broken out in something resembling a grin.

The league, having already bent on a 22-week ban by suspended 12 of those weeks, have now handed the Pies a massive free kick.

Make no mistake, Collingwood’s decision to ask was a masterstroke.

Imagine their conundrum had Stephenson been forced to play first-up in the first week of finals without a VFL contest.

They go into a potential cutthroat final with Jordan de Goey first up after a six-week hamstring issue and with Darcy Moore second up and with hamstrings that no one quite trusts.

Then add in Stephenson, playing for the first time since June 10 and with no real idea if all that match simulation and touch work will come up big in a final.

They would do it, but they sure wouldn’t like it.

Now they get to play Stephenson on Saturday, give him a week off to avoid the second-week blues that often hit players after a spell, then inject him into a final.

And if they have to play De Goey deep given his lack of match fitness, Stephenson can rove far and wide because of his VFL run.

Imagine this scenario.

Brisbane beats Richmond, Collingwood beats Essendon and Hawthorn beats West Coast.

It would pit Geelong in a second versus third qualifying final with the Cats playing at Collingwood’s home ground with Stephenson playing with a game under his belt.

Imagine the GIFs that would travel around the nation of Chris Scott doing his nut in the coaches box if Stephenson took control of that encounter.

Nathan Buckley must have wondered at times what curse has befallen him with the club’s injury issues and litany of gambling and ASADA-related issues.

But he has caught the break that could just set up his club’s entire September campaign.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it was very clever that the pies worked out the way the fixture worked out . Good luck to them and let the AFL work it out.
    I don’t have a problem with it he was suspended for 10 matches and missed the 10 , the fact the vfl plays the day after his 10 matches are over is just how it worked out.
    I would have done it too and if we were in the same position we would applaud our club for being clever.
    The question is was it matches or weeks ? It was matches therefore it’s totally fine he plays VFL.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    I think it was very clever that the pies worked out the way the fixture worked out . Good luck to them and let the AFL work it out.
    I don’t have a problem with it he was suspended for 10 matches and missed the 10 , the fact the vfl plays the day after his 10 matches are over is just how it worked out.
    I would have done it too and if we were in the same position we would applaud our club for being clever.
    The question is was it matches or weeks ? It was matches therefore it’s totally fine he plays VFL.
    I agree - good on Collingwood. But it is BS by the AFL.

He isn't missing 10-matches - is he a VFL player or an AFL player? The suspension needs to be served in the competition in which he was penalised - Collingwood VFL have only played 7 matches (this week is the 8th) since the penalty...you cannot double dip and this is against the spirit of the original ruling.

15. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree - good on Collingwood. But it is BS by the AFL.

He isn't missing 10-matches - is he a VFL player or an AFL player? The suspension needs to be served in the competition in which he was penalised - Collingwood VFL have only played 7 matches (this week is the 8th) since the penalty...you cannot double dip and this is against the spirit of the original ruling.
    As I said if it’s ten AFL matches he has served his time.. its irrelevant how many games a lower grade has played. It didn’t stipulate ten vfl and ten AFL matches it stipulated 10 AFL matches with which he missed.
    You can mount the argument he could have played the VFL through out as another discussion I guess.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    It didn’t stipulate ten vfl and ten AFL matches it stipulated 10 AFL matches with which he missed.
    Given you cannot play AFL and VFL in the same weekend he should 100% not be able to play VFL footy on Saturday. Playing in the VFL on Saturday avo is EXACTLY THE SAME as playing AFL footy on Friday night.

If this was allowed, anyone serving a two week ban for striking would be able to play AFL on a Sunday as long as their VFL (or SANFL, or WAFL, or NEAFL) team had a fixture on the Saturday avo under the 'well, he missed two matches' rule.

It is complete BS and he should not be playing.

I know the footy gods are watching this with great interest and suspect the VFL game this weekend will be the last game he plays all year. The gods know what is right and what is wrong and they will not be pleased. They have already removed Sidebottom from the squad and I don't think they will finish their.

18. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Given you cannot play AFL and VFL in the same weekend he should 100% not be able to play VFL footy on Saturday. Playing in the VFL on Saturday avo is EXACTLY THE SAME as playing AFL footy on Friday night.

If this was allowed, anyone serving a two week ban for striking would be able to play AFL on a Sunday as long as their VFL (or SANFL, or WAFL, or NEAFL) team had a fixture on the Saturday avo under the 'well, he missed two matches' rule.

I know the footy gods are watching this with great interest and suspect the VFL game this weekend will be the last game he plays all year. The gods know what is right and what is wrong and they will not be pleased. They have already removed Sidebottom from the squad and I don't think they will finish their.
    In the end It’s a grey area in the rules and the pies took full advantage and I actually applaud the pies for getting away with it, they will fix it for sure very quickly.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Don't we sometimes pull players from the ground in the VFL just in case they may be needed at an AFL game later that same weekend?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.