Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  58
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Would there be a more "BULLDOGS" thing to do than losing to Adelaide in Ballarat???

A wet day also helps their defence which is solid aerially but fairly slow. Conditions should help them kill the high ball, so the likes of Dale & Lloyd are going to have to work hard to spread them (and our mids need to hit targets).
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Would there be a more "BULLDOGS" thing to do than losing to Adelaide in Ballarat???

There is more pressure on Adelaide than there is on us. They have never played in Ballarat and they are playing the form team of the competition.

We are in the box seat with a rails run and the wind at our backs. Just go out, get hands on the ball first, get numbers to every contest, run and spread when we've got it and work for each other. Seize the Day.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

3. Likes azabob, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    ^^^

That's gold Twodogs
    Cheers. Around 2008 poor mum had an old ladies problem and was admitted to the Epworth as an emergency patient. She had the procedure on the Thursday and they moved her to a room with a really nice view. Dad and I visited her on the Friday but the problem was the view took in the MCG which was all lit up for the Friday night final that we were about to play in.

I'm sitting looking wistfully out of the window when I became aware of mum trying to get my attention. I heard her say "Look If you want to go to the football then just go. I know you hate hospitals and I don't want to lay here thinking that I am holding you back from your one true love and I don't want to take the blame that you missed out on a final. Just go.

At least I think that's what she said toward the end. I was already out of the door and on my way to the 'G!
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

5. Likes strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    A wet day also helps their defence which is solid aerially but fairly slow. Conditions should help them kill the high ball, so the likes of Dale & Lloyd are going to have to work hard to spread them (and our mids need to hit targets).
    We have had some experience in wet weather. Last time we played in wet weather we had a great win.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    We have had some experience in wet weather. Last time we played in wet weather we had a great win.
    When we played against Adel in wet weather last season they destroyed us. Being wet helps them more than us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    They have excellent ball winners but are prone to getting killed on the spread against opposition midfields who have both pace and skill. We need to bring our inside A-game to nullify their inside midfield threat, and also to ensure their forward line doesn't get too many good looks.

On a wet and windy day, their weakness on the spread could be nullified if we aren't 100% on. They also have a potentially strong ruck stoppage game.

It won't be easy but I'm very much looking forward to the maturity of our group being tested. If we pass the test, it will be a positive for future tests in 2019 and beyond.
    I was hoping to see ‘bad’s’ response as he likes to throw out big lines without ever giving reasoning.

But agree, the Crouch boys get lots of the ball, but aren’t damaging and they don’t move the ball with speed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I was hoping to see ‘bad’s’ response as he likes to throw out big lines without ever giving reasoning.

But agree, the Crouch boys get lots of the ball, but aren’t damaging and they don’t move the ball with speed.
    Throw out big lines, , I must be special as you want to hear from me. Not sure why you care.

Any way, my two bobs worth, Adelaide mids are slow, one paced and not good on the spread and don’t get enough of the ball to be very damaging.

Hopefully,our boys are on tomorrow.
    Last edited by bornadog; 24-08-2019 at 12:22 PM.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I tell you what would be a "More Bulldogs" thing....
    Big Tom Boyd's goal from inside the centre square in the 2016 PREMIERSHIP, bouncing the wrong way, back in to play and be run down the other end for a goal, and we lose.............but bit DIDN"T HAPPEN.

For the times........they are a changing..........
    Last edited by Dancin' Douggy; 24-08-2019 at 09:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    They have excellent ball winners but are prone to getting killed on the spread against opposition midfields who have both pace and skill. We need to bring our inside A-game to nullify their inside midfield threat, and also to ensure their forward line doesn't get too many good looks.

On a wet and windy day, their weakness on the spread could be nullified if we aren't 100% on. They also have a potentially strong ruck stoppage game.

It won't be easy but I'm very much looking forward to the maturity of our group being tested. If we pass the test, it will be a positive for future tests in 2019 and beyond.
    While I'm confident of a win I agree we will need to bring our best effort against the Crows or it could be a struggle.

Haven't we turned the season around since the MC selections started making sense?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Haven't we turned the season around since the MC selections started making sense?
    It's funny, the MC selections were strange to us supporters, but that is from the outside looking in. People were screaming for Lippa to come in, yet the MC kept playing him in the VFL, why you ask? Well at the time Gia explained what the plan was, but no one actually listened to his weekly review. There was a plan, the player performed to the plan and he got rewarded.

There are numerous examples of this. The only one I couldn't understand, was leaving out Trengove at the start of the season. Yes we tried Lew Young early on but it didn't work, but to go in against Carlton without Trengove or Young was a bit perplexing.

Overall the MC has done a terrific job this year, and we have had the least changes week to week, compared to other clubs. We have been lucky this year, there have been not too many injuries compared to the previous two years.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    It's funny, the MC selections were strange to us supporters, but that is from the outside looking in. People were screaming for Lippa to come in, yet the MC kept playing him in the VFL, why you ask? Well at the time Gia explained what the plan was, but no one actually listened to his weekly review. There was a plan, the player performed to the plan and he got rewarded.

There are numerous examples of this. The only one I couldn't understand, was leaving out Trengove at the start of the season. Yes we tried Lew Young early on but it didn't work, but to go in against Carlton without Trengove or Young was a bit perplexing.

Overall the MC has done a terrific job this year, and we have had the least changes week to week, compared to other clubs. We have been lucky this year, there have been not too many injuries compared to the previous two years.
    Don't agree, confusing selections, sticking with players with dubious form, players training in the midfield all summer only to be used in the back half and a beast of a midfielder stuck up forward are just part of the issues we had early on. If they had done terrifically well we should be in a stronger position now.
    I think we would have already been in the top 8 if they had played the better performed players early on instead of trying to, in a way, reinvent the game
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

14. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Don't agree, confusing selections, sticking with players with dubious form, players training in the midfield all summer only to be used in the back half and a beast of a midfielder stuck up forward are just part of the issues we had early on. If they had done terrifically well we should be in a stronger position now.
    I think we would have already been in the top 8 if they had played the better performed players early on instead of trying to, in a way, reinvent the game
    forget the preseason, that is the time for experimenting.

Who should have played earlier on and rewarded other than lippa and Trengove?

Post Thanks / Like

Schache should have come in sooner than he did he spent way too long in the 2s while we were crying out for a target.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure how Gowers was holding down the key forward spot for so long it was a disaster.

Sorry for DP.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Schache should have come in sooner than he did he spent way too long in the 2s while we were crying out for a target.
    Have a look at his numbers in the twos - not very impressive