Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  58
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Would there be a more "BULLDOGS" thing to do than losing to Adelaide in Ballarat???

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    - I don't like any part of this.
    - I don't like how everyone has marked it down as a win.
    - I don't like how everyone has dismissed Adelaide and is into their coach.
    - I don't like that it is Adelaide (there is some history that is history but the wounds have still not really healed).
    - I don't like how everyone is talking about us being a dangerous 'floater' in the finals when we aren't in the finals.

- I don't like any part of this at all.
    You don't like green eggs and ham oh Sam I am?
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Would there be a more "BULLDOGS" thing to do than losing to Adelaide in Ballarat???

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    None of those were for a place in the 8
    2017 we were a chance going into r23 of making the 8 but lost.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    A couple of things in our favour though...

- If Hawthorn upsets West Coast on Saturday (especially if it by 20 plus points), it virtually eliminates the Crows and Port from finals' contention due to their inferior percentage.

- It is still a must win for us - it is possible for us to lose and still finish 8th, but it is highly unlikely. The players know if they just show up expecting to win, they WILL lose (and all have to get "We Blew It" tattoos like the 1997 team).

- In the back of their minds, the Crows know that a close win opens the door for their arch rivals Port Adelaide to make the finals. I imagine that would be a worst case scenario for them. Unless the Crows blow us away, an honorable loss against the form team of the competition may be a better outcome for them than a close win that sees Port qualify for September.
    I see this as a key psychological component of Sunday's match. Unless we completely and utterly wet the bed, Adelaide simply aren't in good enough form to beat us by 25+ points in the wet away and from home, and anything less will simply open the door for Port.

I can definitely see the Crows being highly competitive but fade away as the match wears on, not dissimilar to their match in Perth 2 weeks ago.

It's a fantastic mental test for our playing group - hopefully they pass the test and secure their place in the finals.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    2017 we were a chance going into r23 of making the 8 but lost.
    Don't get me started on 1986, 1987 & 1988
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

5. Likes Raw Toast, strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I can definitely see the Crows being highly competitive but fade away as the match wears on, not dissimilar to their match in Perth 2 weeks ago.

It's a fantastic mental test for our playing group - hopefully they pass the test and secure their place in the finals.
    Hopefully this plays out, although we may pick Trengove and go in taller than in recent weeks than when we've overrun sides.

GWS out played us for periods during last round, we hung in then overran them. Hopefully Ballarat pans out the same way. They do have genuine ball winners in the centre but their forwardline hasn't fired at all this year which helps as we do generate a lot of scoring from chains beginning in the defensive half of the ground.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

This total and utter bastard.

BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    - I don't like any part of this.
    - I don't like how everyone has marked it down as a win.
    - I don't like how everyone has dismissed Adelaide and is into their coach.
    - I don't like that it is Adelaide (there is some history that is history but the wounds have still not really healed).
    - I don't like how everyone is talking about us being a dangerous 'floater' in the finals when we aren't in the finals.

- I don't like any part of this at all.
    I'm with you on this, unfortunately. Haven't had a game that fills me with more dread for quite some time.

I've gone so far as beginning to rationalise it already. Here are some half-baked thoughts for if we do lose:

1) It better drive us through the preseason and 2020 season more generally, because it's clear what we can do (or if we lose, could have done), if we make/made it.

2) The second half of the season was impressive, our foundation is excellent, we should now move to a position where we are a powerhouse for a long time. It's time for us to begin to dominate this league.
    Although it broke our hearts it did not break our will

Post Thanks / Like

I’m not sure why we’d go in taller than the previous few rounds.

We have appeared well balanced across the ground and our results suggest this.

Having said that Trengrove will be very unlucky to be dropped.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post

What we need is agility and adding English only diminishes that a little.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

This speaks to our identity as Dogs fans
    I've already visualized a late Adelaide goal snuffing out our comeback to the dull roar of their 750 fans in Mars Stadium and a very quiet walk back to the car post siren.
    How can't we feel this way given our history. I was seriously anxious at half time last Sunday - like, seriously tense. Pre game 09 QF against Geelong tense (I was unbearable that day)

I do feel a little better when asking myself how valid my fears are.

It is a different group - I didn't feel like we'd win the GF at half time, with only Toby's late goal giving me some hope we had kept in touch - and it's a different group again.
    From where we came from this season, to have a 'win and we're in' game is a fantastic position - so short of a thumping, I'm reasonably pleased with what they've achieved.

Don't want to be losing to Adelaide in what's essentially another elimination final - if we do, we do, but part of the reason I made the decision to drive up Sunday for this was for the chance to see us beat them when it means something.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

12. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post

Probably should save this for the MC thread - but I'm comfortable in the midfield numbers English can generate to play all he, Trengove & Young.

It'll be cold, but it won't be that wet (if wet at all) Can remember Dixon taking us apart up there previously.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    This speaks to our identity as Dogs fans
    I've already visualized a late Adelaide goal snuffing out our comeback to the dull roar of their 750 fans in Mars Stadium and a very quiet walk back to the car post siren.
    How can't we feel this way given our history. I was seriously anxious at half time last Sunday - like, seriously tense. Pre game 09 QF against Geelong tense (I was unbearable that day)

I do feel a little better when asking myself how valid my fears are.

It is a different group - I didn't feel like we'd win the GF at half time, with only Toby's late goal giving me some hope we had kept in touch - and it's a different group again.
    From where we came from this season, to have a 'win and we're in' game is a fantastic position - so short of a thumping, I'm reasonably pleased with what they've achieved.

Don't want to be losing to Adelaide in what's essentially another elimination final - if we do, we do, but part of the reason I made the decision to drive up Sunday for this was for the chance to see us beat them when it means something.
    On the afternoon of our very first night final (I want to say it was in 1994 V Geelong) I was storming around the house getting all het up and basically annoying anyone who came near me. My mum appeared with the dog attached to her lead and basically told me to *!*!*!*! off until I had calmed down a bit, then I could bring the dog home.

So I walked about 15 metres when I become aware of a giant (with a dog attached to a leash) coming into my view. It was Ijlia Grgic (he grew up around the corner from me) and as we walked past one another he looked at me and said "Your mum has cracked the shits too has she?"

Post Thanks / Like

^^^

That's gold Twodogs

16. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Adelaide a have a shit midfield, but other than that, they match up pretty well with us stats wise. Lets not forget they almost beat West Coast in Perth.

I think as usual, the better midfield will be the difference, and hopefully ours is on.
    What is the main reason why Adelaide as you quite eloquently put it, have a shit midfield?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    What is the main reason why Adelaide as you quite eloquently put it, have a shit midfield?
    They have excellent ball winners but are prone to getting killed on the spread against opposition midfields who have both pace and skill. We need to bring our inside A-game to nullify their inside midfield threat, and also to ensure their forward line doesn't get too many good looks.

On a wet and windy day, their weakness on the spread could be nullified if we aren't 100% on. They also have a potentially strong ruck stoppage game.

It won't be easy but I'm very much looking forward to the maturity of our group being tested. If we pass the test, it will be a positive for future tests in 2019 and beyond.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

19. Likes Mofra, bornadog liked this post