Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  14
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Getting the Band(wagon) Back Together

(A late night Proactive Poaching offshoot)

Thought I might start a thread specifically for the collation of players that were Bulldogs fans growing up, players that wanted to come to us but got snatched by someone else, or Footscray VFL players that some other filthy club got their filthy mittens on first.

Here we can collect their names, follow their progress, and plot their poaching.

The last few drafts (in particular) have thrown up quite a few top end talent bulldogs fans, including:

Ned McHenry (Adelaide)
    Zak Butters (Port Adelaide)
    Xavier O'Hallaran (GWS)
    Nick Coffield (St. Kilda)

Others I can think of:
    Zach Merrett (Essendon)

There are three main Footscray players that I can think of that were snatched from our grasp, which are:
    Ben Long (St. Kilda)
    Mitch Hannan (Melbourne)
    Kyle Dunkley (Melbourne)

Any others? Who do we poach first?

2. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Getting the Band(wagon) Back Together

Ben Brown was right under our noses for a long time at Werribee. There were a few posters here calling on the club to sign him.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

The two that hurt me the most are C Ward GWS and J Harbrow

Could you imagine these two in our side right now. Ward as captain.
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper Bulldogs View Post

But we wouldn't have Jack Macrae if we hadn't lost Ward. Nearly a thread in itself.

6. Likes Mofra, strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper Bulldogs View Post

Please don’t. It still hurts. Even more so that it emerged it was $50k that lost him for us because we tried to low ball him....

Post Thanks / Like

Dane Rampi is a big one.
    Ben Hudson way back when.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Going far back you can add in Tommy Alvin, he was in our zone and basically signed and we then reportedly took a under the table payment from Carlton and let him go.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    But we wouldn't have Jack Macrae if we hadn't lost Ward. Nearly a thread in itself.
    I’d encourage you to create that thread! “Jack Mac or Cement Head?” Great topic for reflection. Macrae’s been our most consistent player for three years, now. Takes a beating every week, but never misses. Although I clasped my head in my hands for five years after we lost Ward, I reckon we might’ve had a blessing in disguise, there.

Only question is, however, had we not had the compo pick, would we have used pick five on Jack rather than Jake? Frommy recollection, Jake was the greater risk of the two due to his leg break. I realise Jake was 5 and Jack 6, but the order was semantics (& irrelevant.) and might’ve been formed to appease the bigger ego out of the two. We’ll never know. (Despite any subsequent public commentary by the club.)

Anyway, point stands that Jack has a flag, Ward doesn’t, and Jack’s now a more valuable commodity between he and Ward.

(Although it still kills me that Ward was a local kid..)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Ben Brown was right under our noses for a long time at Werribee. There were a few posters here calling on the club to sign him.
    *!*!*!*!s sake; Ben Brown wasn't under our nose and neither was Barlow. Both started playing at Werribee after we aligned with Williamstown. Podsiadly is probably who you were thinking of

12. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Testekill View Post
    *!*!*!*!s sake; Ben Brown wasn't under our nose and neither was Barlow. Both started playing at Werribee after we aligned with Williamstown. Podsiadly is probably who you were thinking of
    Yep. Hudson was definitely during our alignment days, others after it.

Dane Rampe was during our Williamstown alignment. In fairness though, we took Tom Campbell and Tory Dickson from under Essendon's nose. Tory's a premiership player so that trumps them.

Then let's not forget a bloke named Liam who was FS eligible for Collingwood, playing for their VFL aligned side, and Malthouse liked him but their recruiters said "he's too scrappy".

Awarded the player of the 2016 finals series. We grab as much as we take.

To the OP: Fisher McAsey is a name to add next year when someone else grabs him. Nick Coffield (Saints) a name to add right now.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

14. Likes The Adelaide Connection liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Dane Rampi is a big one.
    Ben Hudson way back when.
    I watched plenty of Rampe back in the Willy days. He floated between Willy reserves and seniors and was always a solid contributor but his rise to an AA caliber defender was impossible to predict back then. Good on him for persisting.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Yep. Hudson was definitely during our alignment days, others after it.

Dane Rampe was during our Williamstown alignment. In fairness though, we took Tom Campbell and Tory Dickson from under Essendon's nose. Tory's a premiership player so that trumps them.

Then let's not forget a bloke named Liam who was FS eligible for Collingwood, playing for their VFL aligned side, and Malthouse liked him but their recruiters said "he's too scrappy".

Awarded the player of the 2016 finals series. We grab as much as we take.

To the OP: Fisher McAsey is a name to add next year when someone else grabs him. Nick Coffield (Saints) a name to add right now.
    Yeah I had Coffield, but didn’t know McAsey was a Bulldogs fan.

There was also a KPD in the draft last year that was a dogs fan (was expected to go late but didn’t get picked up) but his name escapes me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I watched plenty of Rampe back in the Willy days. He floated between Willy reserves and seniors and was always a solid contributor but his rise to an AA caliber defender was impossible to predict back then. Good on him for persisting.
    Certainly not as a KPD - my memory he was a tall flanker who was incredibly strong through the hips, just couldn't be brought down in the tackle. Kicking was iffy which probably stopped him being taken earlier. He certainly had his fans on Woof.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    I’d encourage you to create that thread! “Jack Mac or Cement Head?” Great topic for reflection. Macrae’s been our most consistent player for three years, now. Takes a beating every week, but never misses. Although I clasped my head in my hands for five years after we lost Ward, I reckon we might’ve had a blessing in disguise, there.

Only question is, however, had we not had the compo pick, would we have used pick five on Jack rather than Jake? Frommy recollection, Jake was the greater risk of the two due to his leg break. I realise Jake was 5 and Jack 6, but the order was semantics (& irrelevant.) and might’ve been formed to appease the bigger ego out of the two. We’ll never know. (Despite any subsequent public commentary by the club.)

Anyway, point stands that Jack has a flag, Ward doesn’t, and Jack’s now a more valuable commodity between he and Ward.

(Although it still kills me that Ward was a local kid..)
    I here you Webby. Be a good thread over Summer when things are quiet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Certainly not as a KPD - my memory he was a tall flanker who was incredibly strong through the hips, just couldn't be brought down in the tackle. Kicking was iffy which probably stopped him being taken earlier. He certainly had his fans on Woof.
    I went back and checked some of my reports from 2009/2010. He played way more reserves than seniors, crazy.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.