Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  14
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Getting the Band(wagon) Back Together

Mitch O’Neill is apparently another Bulldog supporting Draft nomination. A PCL ended his year early, but apparently showed a lot of promise. Could be around at pick 53.

From the AFL site:

CLUB
    Tasmania Devils
    JUNIOR CLUB
    North Hobart

DATE OF BIRTH
    21st February 2001

HEIGHT
    181cm

WEIGHT
    70kg

POSITION
    Midfielder

DRAFT RANGE
    25 - 50

Medium midfielder who is a prolific ball winner with the ability to step through traffic with his elite agility. He is courageous and clean overhead with a long, penetrating kick. He averaged 22.2 disposals (74 per cent efficiency) and 5.5 marks playing for the Allies in the 2019 NAB AFL Under-18 Championships to win 2019 NAB AFL Under-18 All-Australian honours for the second time. A consistent performer for the Tasmanian Devils in the NAB League earlier in the year, he averaged 20.2 disposals including his season high of 37 disposals against the Northern Territory. A knee injury curtailed his year post the 2019 NAB AFL Under-18 Championships but is expecting a full recovery.

More stats and video here:
    https://m.afl.com.au/draft/prospects

2. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not so sure O'Neill could last that long TAC. A mate of mine in TAS rates him highly with an emphasis on his kicking skills.
    Good pick-up though and thanks for adding his name to the mix

Could we look towards a ruckman type with our 2nd pick?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

4. Likes The Adelaide Connection liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I'm not so sure O'Neill could last that long TAC. A mate of mine in TAS rates him highly with an emphasis on his kicking skills.
    Good pick-up though and thanks for adding his name to the mix

Could we look towards a ruckman type with our 2nd pick?
    I think investing in a ruckman would be sensible, given the time they usually take to come on. I don’t think Gia would have any objections having an extra option.

I don’t know much about the available Ruck stocks (aside Jackson). Anyone that jumps out?

Post Thanks / Like

We should have rights to all North Hobart players!
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

A writeup on Mitch O'Neill. Interesting that it mentions that some clubs don't rate him and one has said they thought he might go at about 40.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl/o-n...17-p53be4.html

O'Neill deals with the weight of Tasmania
    Daniel Cherny

Mitch O'Neill carries a greater burden than most hopefuls heading into this year's AFL draft. This isn't just about him, his club or his family. It's about his state.

The outside midfielder is Tasmania's best chance, the only Tasmanian invited to last month's draft combine.

O'Neill is a quintessentially Tassie story. His grandfather Dave played for North Hobart. So too did his father James. A couple of uncles represented the club as well. Mitch played junior football there, and then seniors at North Hobart when he was just 15, standing around 170 centimetres and weighing 60-65 kilograms. He likes to surf and goes fishing at Eaglehawk Neck in south-Eastern Tasmania. He’s a proud Tasmanian too, wanting a Tassie team in the AFL.

"I'd love to have a Tassie side. I think everyone down there knows we should, how passionate we'd be as a state," O'Neill said.
    Advertisement

"I feel like we could make a real good culture down there."

Maybe it's something his prospective suitors should keep in mind.

"If Tassie were in the [league] now, I'd choose Tassie."

But being Tassie's lone wolf has its drawbacks. O'Neill understands why others are interested in him, but the attention hasn't all been positive, especially at Guilford Young College in Hobart where he's been schooled.

"This year's been a lot of pressure for me, dealing with that kind of stuff is pretty hard," he said.

"I'm not only representing me, I'm representing Tassie.

"People at school bringing it up all the time. It's just frustrating. Everywhere you go, you're labelled as that bloke who plays footy. At times you just want to be relaxed and left alone. I feel like if I didn't get drafted I'd let a lot of people down. That's a big thing I have to deal with every day.

"These mock drafts come out and sometimes you're not in them. People are like 'where are you mate?' I try to have a laugh at it. But sometimes it hurts a bit."

AFL Tasmania's welfare coordinator Emma Harris has proved to be a major help, her counsel helping O'Neill deal with the hype.

"Keep your network real close, I guess," O'Neill says of the advice.

"Have your mates, and if people do ask about it just ignore them, don't be rude, just try to change the subject, which has really helped. And just try to stay away from those negative people who may try to stir a bit of stuff up. She's been really good."

O'Neill – who wants to become a tradie away from footy – is an intriguing proposition at this year's draft, having dealt with knee and ankle issues over the past 12 months. Some clubs don't rate him, but one said they had him falling around pick 40. If he does make it though, O'Neill will bring with him a classic nickname: "Snitty". It originates from a pre-game schnitzel burger he had before kicking 12 goals in an under 13s grand final.

Post Thanks / Like

He would be a nice pick-up in the 50's for us TAC

Thanks for adding that article
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

9. Likes The Adelaide Connection liked this post