Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  54
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Always Right Match Committee RD 1, 2019 Finals vs Greater Western Sydney

Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make after our Round 23 match against Adelaide for our Elimination Final game against GWS (Great Waste of Space) in the first round of the 2019 Finals series?

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.
    Last edited by Scraggers; 25-08-2019 at 07:34 PM.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

2. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee RD 1, 2019 Finals vs

I'm not going to be hard in my ideas with two weeks to go

Ins: could be Libba, Dickson & JT. Not sure Wally & Daniel are ready.

Outs: West, Hayes, Richard & Cordy I think are in the discussion.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee RD 1, 2019 Finals vs

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I'm not going to be hard in my ideas with two weeks to go

Ins: could be Libba, Dickson & JT. Not sure Wally & Daniel are ready.

Outs: West, Hayes, Richard & Cordy I think are in the discussion.
    agree here

If Libba is ready to go he has to come in. Dicko & JT would be unlucky to miss. They have been colossal.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee RD 1, 2019 Finals vs Greater Western Sydney

Listening to Bevo in the presser it sounds as though Libba won't be ready to play, Wallis is out for the remainder of the season and Caleb won't play until deep in the final series.. if we progress past week 1.

As I mentioned in another thread there's lots to ponder on how we set up the defence in particular... it will be interesting to see what we come up with as GWS will be play with 3 mobile tall forwards who will challenge our defensive personnel & structure.

They will be a very different proposition to the game just last week when we got a hold of them in the 2nd half and we need to pull the right levers at the selection table.

Post Thanks / Like

My first thoughts

In Dickson

Out. Richards, or Hayes
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

What did people think of Young's game today?

Cordy struggles on strong forwards. He needs a smaller contest or JT comes in.

Thought Hayes was neat today without being great.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    What did people think of Young's game today?

Cordy struggles on strong forwards. He needs a smaller contest or JT comes in.

Thought Hayes was neat today without being great.
    I liked it. One bad missed marked led to a goal, but I thought he was fine.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

JT would be my only in at this stage for Hayes his endeavour is great but just not quite there. Also a bigger body is need for Cameron in my opinion.
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by strebla View Post
    JT would be my only in at this stage for Hayes his endeavour is great but just not quite there. Also a bigger body is need for Cameron in my opinion.
    I don’t understand the rush to drop Hayes when he is consistently getting more kicks, more handballs and more tackles than Richards.

Also his disposals are more reliable too.

On the AFL stats site over the last three weeks:
    Hayes has rated. 101 71 75
    Richards 45 55 43

11. Likes strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Hayes' enormous running capacity is helping the overall balance of the side. I haven't been a huge Hayes advocate - but think he could prove important against a side like GWS.

13. Likes westbulldog, Dry Rot, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Walker joined the list of players kicking their season best bag of goals against Cordy.

It doesn’t make sense to continually put him on such opponents.

He has more to offer than simply being a ‘punching bag’

Post Thanks / Like

I think our best back 6 is:

Trengrove - Cameron
    Young/Cordy - Finlayson
    Wood - Himmelberg
    Crozier/Duryea/JJ/Suckling - the others

Meaning that one of Young or Cordy is dropped. I'm not convinced that Trengrove is the right match up for Cameron either, but he has the smarts and positioning to minimise the leg speed deficiency. Cordy has previously been thrown forward, but I think Naughton and Schache have those spots locked down now.

I agree with the above that West/Richards/Hayes are in the gun for Dickson. I thought they all showed positive traits at times today, without any of them piecing together great games. West is the most like for like replacement, with Es and Hayes spending more time in the wing rotation from what I saw today.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd have a long and hard think about Cordy for Trengove - forgetting matchup dynamics for a second, getting five goals hung on you by the objectively terrible 2019 model of Taylor Walker can't go unnoticed. Trengove might have let him get up the ground and use his Beautiful Field Kick™ (Channel 7, 2019) or whatever, but no chance he loses as many one on ones as Cordy did. I'd feel more comfortable with Wood or Young on Cameron than I would Cordy right now as well.

Otherwise I'd look at Dickson for West, but I'm not dying on that hill.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I'd have a long and hard think about Cordy for Trengove - forgetting matchup dynamics for a second, getting five goals hung on you by the objectively terrible 2019 model of Taylor Walker can't go unnoticed. Trengove might have let him get up the ground and use his Beautiful Field Kick™ (Channel 7, 2019) or whatever, but no chance he loses as many one on ones as Cordy did. I'd feel more comfortable with Wood or Young on Cameron than I would Cordy right now as well.

Commentators today reckon Walker should play defence next year with his fielding kicking. It's a thing now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post

Trengove would have just given free kicks away on a few of the contests that Cordy lost without giving away a free kick.

It's actually OK to acknowledge that Walker can play good games from time to time, Shane Ellen kicked five in a GF once, anything is possible and much of Walker's ball wasn't Cordy's issue to start with and he had no aerial support when he should have against a much heavier opponent.

I mean I genuinely read a comment lamenting Cordy being five metres in front of his opponent on a fast break, where he almost impacted a spoil but was only in a position to test the umpires hand. If he played side by side or behind he'd have been lead to the ball and it would have been a certain goal. The guy can't take a trick in the minds of some, with that contest being the most obvious of how seriously poor some of our judgements of him are.

Good defencive units hide the exposed weaknesses of their team mates, we didn't do that for Cordy today (in fact Hunter actually did 20% of the damage himself). With that in mind we wouldn't have done it for Trengove either and Walker would have been stronger than him as well. Our efforts these next two weeks can't be about shedding one player for another to fix that, they need to be focused around defending better as a team.

In - Dickson
    Out - West
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

19. Likes merantau liked this post