Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  54
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee RD 1, 2019 Finals vs Greater Western Sydney

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Trengove would have just given free kicks away on a few of the contests that Cordy lost without giving away a free kick.

It's actually OK to acknowledge that Walker can play good games from time to time, Shane Ellen kicked five in a GF once, anything is possible and much of Walker's ball wasn't Cordy's issue to start with and he had no aerial support when he should have against a much heavier opponent.

I mean I genuinely read a comment lamenting Cordy being five metres in front of his opponent on a fast break, where he almost impacted a spoil but was only in a position to test the umpires hand. If he played side by side or behind he'd have been lead to the ball and it would have been a certain goal. The guy can't take a trick in the minds of some, with that contest being the most obvious of how seriously poor some of our judgements of him are.

Good defencive units hide the exposed weaknesses of their team mates, we didn't do that for Cordy today (in fact Hunter actually did 20% of the damage himself). With that in mind we wouldn't have done it for Trengove either and Walker would have been stronger than him as well. Our efforts these next two weeks can't be about shedding one player for another to fix that, they need to be focused around defending better as a team.

In - Dickson
    Out - West
    I don't know man, Cordy was really poor today against an opponent in terrible form and was lost in some pretty basic situations (namely Walker's last two goals). I agree that he wasn't at fault for that free kick where Tex took a slight bit of contact then took a pro wrestling bump like he was Mr. Perfect, or where he got out the back on the fast break at the end of the first quarter, but you can't tell me he didn't get muscled a couple of times where Trengove wouldn't have.

I don't know if Cordy's bad game makes Trengove a better option against the Giants, all I said was I would think on it.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I don't know man, Cordy was really poor today against an opponent in terrible form and was lost in some pretty basic situations (namely Walker's last two goals). I agree that he wasn't at fault for that free kick where Tex took a slight bit of contact then took a pro wrestling bump like he was Mr. Perfect, or where he got out the back on the fast break at the end of the first quarter, but you can't tell me he didn't get muscled a couple of times where Trengove wouldn't have.

I don't know if Cordy's bad game makes Trengove a better option against the Giants, all I said was I would think on it.
    Young was on Walker for his last 2 goals.

3. Likes SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cordy kicked two terrific goals against GWS to get the Dogs into the Grand Final in 2016. He kicked the first goal in that premiership win. He started as a forward averaging a goal a game.

Yet he has been consistently used as a key defender who is getting big scores kicked against him. Darling 6, Curnow 7 got season highs and there were others. And now Walker gets 5 for his season best.

When has this happened? Always in predictable situations. (Not his fault)

Post Thanks / Like

"Tory Dickson a key in Dogs’ resurgence. Missed Ballarat, but reliably told it’s the slightest of hammies. If game this week plays, lock to return v GWS." - Mark Stevens on Twitter this morning.

6. Thanks kruder thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It’s not poor judgement regarding Cordy, or he’s just all of a sudden become a whipping boy. The stats back it up. He loses around 40% of one on one contests, which is worst in the league. He’s not a natural interceptor or play maker, and his disposal is average at best. He’s a competitor and never drops his head, but I don’t see what net benefit he’s providing the side now that Young has emerged.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

8. Likes Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    I think our best back 6 is:

Trengrove - Cameron
    Young/Cordy - Finlayson
    Wood - Himmelberg
    Crozier/Duryea/JJ/Suckling - the others

Meaning that one of Young or Cordy is dropped. I'm not convinced that Trengrove is the right match up for Cameron either, but he has the smarts and positioning to minimise the leg speed deficiency. Cordy has previously been thrown forward, but I think Naughton and Schache have those spots locked down now.

I agree with the above that West/Richards/Hayes are in the gun for Dickson. I thought they all showed positive traits at times today, without any of them piecing together great games. West is the most like for like replacement, with Es and Hayes spending more time in the wing rotation from what I saw today.
    Will Lachie Keith play?
    Reckon that’s a potential match up for Trengove
    I think Jackson has to come in - I’d say for Hayes but he did nothing wrong yesterday. Tough call
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that he wasn't at fault for that free kick where Tex took a slight bit of contact then took a pro wrestling bump like he was Mr. Perfect, or where he got out the back on the fast break at the end of the first quarter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Young was on Walker for his last 2 goals.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    Cordy kicked two terrific goals against GWS to get the Dogs into the Grand Final in 2016. He kicked the first goal in that premiership win. He started as a forward averaging a goal a game.

Yet he has been consistently used as a key defender who is getting big scores kicked against him. Darling 6, Curnow 7 got season highs and there were others. And now Walker gets 5 for his season best.

When has this happened? Always in predictable situations. (Not his fault)
    Does the above change your mind at all? Doesn't sound like Tex kicked 5 on Cordy. Sounds like he kicked 2.

Post Thanks / Like

Some tough calls will need to be made. Dickson needs to play if his hammy is fine. Just has too many smarts around goal not to play.
    Trengove also needs to play. Big bodied and experienced.
    Question is whom is omitted?

Ins: Dickson and Trengove

Outs from: West, Hayes, Richards, Young/ Cordy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Does the above change your mind at all? Doesn't sound like Tex kicked 5 on Cordy. Sounds like he kicked 2.
    He was also outpointed by Chayce Jones (who?) on multiple occasions. He actually looked his most comfortable against Betts deep, and Walker when he went further up the ground. Like most weeks, when he was deep against anyone with some height, he looked vulnerable
    Last edited by comrade; 26-08-2019 at 11:38 AM.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I worry about Trengove's lack of mobility on someone like Cameron. And think Lewis Young is more suited to Himmelberg than Cameron - so I have concerns about the Trengove/Young pairing. GWS will also have Finlayson playing.

I'm glad I'm not making the decisions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    I worry about Trengove's lack of mobility on someone like Cameron. And think Lewis Young is more suited to Himmelberg than Cameron - so I have concerns about the Trengove/Young pairing. GWS will also have Finlayson playing.

I hope we don't decide to play Wood tall again, as the past few weeks we have seen him playing more like his old self when he doesn't have to play on some tall player.

Having said that, what do we do.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post

The best match up for Cameron is Aaron Naughton.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    The best match up for Cameron is Aaron Naughton.
    That is a good idea.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I hope we don't decide to play Wood tall again, as the past few weeks we have seen him playing more like his old self when he doesn't have to play on some tall player.

Having said that, what do we do.
    I'd be more confident playing Suckling 'tall' compared to Wood.

The more I think about it, the more comfortable I am in playing 2 talls (2 of Young, JT or Cordy) and then back in our mid sized defenders to get the job in defence (with the help of the mids & forwards) and then help us rebound.. that's our strength and we need to back it in.

18. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    That is a good idea.
    Agreed. Think it could work but who would go forward - maybe Cordy?