Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  54
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee RD 1, 2019 Finals vs Greater Western Sydney

Quote Originally Posted by whythelongface View Post
    Agreed. Think it could work but who would go forward - maybe Cordy?
    Definitely. His mobility will give their backmen problems and he is very good at ground level.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Trengove would have just given free kicks away on a few of the contests that Cordy lost without giving away a free kick.

It's actually OK to acknowledge that Walker can play good games from time to time, Shane Ellen kicked five in a GF once, anything is possible and much of Walker's ball wasn't Cordy's issue to start with and he had no aerial support when he should have against a much heavier opponent.
    One of Walker's goals was 100% on Tim English. High ball into the square, Tim as the biggest guy there just had to kill the contest, and didn't.

For mine it's all about Jeremy Cameron. I still think Young is a far better intercept player than one on one player and am very tempted to find a way for JT to come in, but it has to be at the expense of a tall.

I suspect Dickson doesn't get up and it's just Young for Trengove, West stays in and Richards lucky.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    That is a good idea.
    We have to try and win the game and playing Naughton forward up forward gives us the best chance because at worst he'll keep the GWS defence extremely honest in teh air & on the ground (his forward pressure is elite) and at best he'll be sitting on their heads!

4. Thanks The bulldog tragician thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    We have to try and win the game and playing Naughton forward up forward gives us the best chance because at worst he'll keep the GWS defence extremely honest in teh air & on the ground (his forward pressure is elite) and at best he'll be sitting on their heads!
    Are we better served with Naughton stopping 5 goals or kicking 1, his average over the last 14 games.

I think the former.

Cordy kicked 2 goals against GWS in the 2016 finals and they had a stronger defence. And he had only played a dozen games.

Post Thanks / Like

That is a good idea.
    I see it as a much better idea to give Naughton full air traffic freedom to fly over Phil Davis.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Are we better served with Naughton stopping 5 goals or kicking 1, his average over the last 14 games.

I think the former.

Cordy kicked 2 goals against GWS in the 2016 finals and they had a stronger defence. And he had only played a dozen games.
    Your obsession with the stats you choose to use is misplaced.

We win by scoring more and sticking with our system.

I don't believe we have appointed Ross Lyon to coach, so we need to be utilising a positive approach.

Naughton has been our number one key forward all year. It makes absolutely no sense to change it now.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

I’m not saying Naughton should play back, just that he’s the best match up for Cameron.

I think Bevo will back his system. If the GWS bigs start running amok, we can always throw the magnets around and switch Naughton to calm things down.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the former.

There's no *!*!*!*!ing chance Naughton starts in defence.

Cordy kicked 2 scrappy goals in broken play in the PF and he provides no aerial threat... Zaine either plays in defence or not at all.

10. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    I see it as a much better idea to give Naughton full air traffic freedom to fly over Phil Davis.
    Good point.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't believe we have appointed Ross Lyon to coach, so we need to be utilising a positive approach.

Naughton has been our number one key forward all year. It makes absolutely no sense to change it now.
    Agreed, he is second on our goal kicking list with 30 goals 27, and the AFL number one in contested marks. I really don't understand this obsesion by some to stick him in the backline.

No need to experiment now
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the former.

His last five weeks have been 13, 11, 6, 6, 6 score involvements. And in that time he has kicked 8 goals. Across the last three weeks our forward line has kicked it's highest three scores of the season. It's not broken - trust the team defence, back in the forwards to make the most of their opportunities, and our midfield will do what our midfield do.

Davis would not need to worry about Cordy, but he will have nightmares about Naughton marking over him.

14. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That is a good idea.
    Hahahahahahahahaha.

Spend a whole season with Naughton playing forward very well, leading to us having an effective and dangerous forwardline that is finally settled, and then swing him back for finals? I'd rather we brought in Sweet to play on Cameron.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

16. Likes Before I Die liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Does the above change your mind at all? Doesn't sound like Tex kicked 5 on Cordy. Sounds like he kicked 2.
    Happy to defer on the last two goals if they were on Young/English. Point remains that he's looked incredibly vulnerable one on one, and if Walker and Chaycsyce (sp) Jones can handle him comfortably then I shudder at what Cameron and Greene might do.

This would be mitigated if he offered other strengths, but he doesn't really do that.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Fortunately the system was changed and that led to the current (unnecessarily delayed) success.

Others have argued that it will cope with Cameron and they have done so by quoting relevant facts and statistics. That’s how a discussion should be. And I think they are probably correct.

But I am happy to argue on the basis of unsupported emotion if you like.

Post Thanks / Like

Libba an 'outside chance' but Dogs plan no-risk approach

WESTERN Bulldogs premiership hero Tom Liberatore is an outside chance to play in the first week of finals.

Despite missing the past three weeks with a knee injury, the 27-year-old midfielder is in the Bulldogs' calculations 12 days out from their elimination final with GWS.

It's more positive news for the Bulldogs on the medical front, as the club has one of the smallest injury lists in the League.

However coach Luke Beveridge said the Bulldogs wouldn’t take any risks with Liberatore.

"There's a chance he'll be available," Beveridge said.

"He's cross-training but not doing a lot of running... he's up our sleeve at the moment.

"It's not a situation where we're going to need to roll the dice... Libba's had an impact this year but we won't take any risks."

Beveridge also hinted that defender Caleb Daniel and forward Tory Dickson, who are both nursing hamstring injuries, could be possible inclusions.

Daniel has been out of the side since round 20 but his rehabilitation is progressing faster than expected.

"Caleb's actually running and he's probably more of a chance (than Liberatore) to be considered if he keeps going and we need him," Beveridge said.