Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  54
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee RD 1, 2019 Finals vs Greater Western Sydney

With the way that Freo enters their 50, and the personnel they have inside 50, I would almost deliberately give up some possession just because winning it back from 50 is so easy, and it leads to easier score launches.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Pretty sure you will find Lachie Neale had 373 metres gained. Which is 50 more than Bont had against the Giants.

He played a very, very good game and 50 touches is amazing.
    Again metres gained is no good if you boot the ball 60 metres to the opposition. What we are trying to say is stats can be over stated and you can read what you want into them but at the end of the day if you are not in front after 120 minutes they mean jack.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Pretty sure you will find Lachie Neale had 373 metres gained. Which is 50 more than Bont had against the Giants.

He played a very, very good game and 50 touches is amazing.
    Bont had almost half the possessions that Neale had, for only 50 less metres gained. So, yeah lots of minimal metres gained possessions, lots of backwards disposals compared to Bont who just drives us forward in attack time after time.

It's kind of like games where Hunter has huge possession numbers. We just don't score as well or play as cohesively when he is our number 1 possession winner.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    Again metres gained is no good if you boot the ball 60 metres to the opposition. What we are trying to say is stats can be over stated and you can read what you want into them but at the end of the day if you are not in front after 120 minutes they mean jack.
    JJ won best on ground in the grand final booting it 60 Metres to the opposition all day. :-)
    Bring back the biff

5. Likes Bullies, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Bont had almost half the possessions that Neale had, for only 50 less metres gained. So, yeah lots of minimal metres gained possessions, lots of backwards disposals compared to Bont who just drives us forward in attack time after time.

It's kind of like games where Hunter has huge possession numbers. We just don't score as well or play as cohesively when he is our number 1 possession winner.
    There needs to be more meta statistical analysis to determine who had the biggest affect on the outcome.

Post Thanks / Like

Good point. Maybe Richards just Stands out more so is more noticeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    I don’t understand the rush to drop Hayes when he is consistently getting more kicks, more handballs and more tackles than Richards.

Also his disposals are more reliable too.

On the AFL stats site over the last three weeks:
    Hayes has rated. 101 71 75
    Richards 45 55 43

8. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    Good point. Maybe Richards just Stands out more so is more noticeable.
    I’m no Hayes fan but if I was picking between those 2, I’m picking Hayes. He also does a mountain of running that is hard to notice.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m no Hayes fan but if I was picking between those 2, I’m picking Hayes. He also does a mountain of running that is hard to notice.
    It is an interesting position.

There was plenty of opinion early in the year that Hayes should never be picked at senior level. However, he has looked very good since his return.

Personally, I have now reached a position that the Match Committee seem to have worked out what they want.

There are plenty on the list who seem able to do what is required, so just enjoy the ride.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    It is an interesting position.

There was plenty of opinion early in the year that Hayes should never be picked at senior level. However, he has looked very good since his return.

Personally, I have now reached a position that the Match Committee seem to have worked out what they want.

There are plenty on the list who seem able to do what is required, so just enjoy the ride.
    Yeah pretty much In Bevo We Trust at this point. Just wish we wouldn’t have Dunkley anywhere near the ruck, especially when English is on the ground. That grinds my gears.

Post Thanks / Like

A hope lots of that running is following Whitfield around.

I also hope the ball doesn't go near him as I'm not expecting good things to happen in a highly pressured game... but we wait & see.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post

I also hope the ball doesn't go near him as I'm not expecting good things to happen in a highly pressured game... but we wait & see.
    Didn't he keep Whitfield quiet in the last game (2nd half)
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post

Me too. If he only gets it a dozen times but puts the clamps on Whitfield, that’s a big win!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    I don’t understand the rush to drop Hayes when he is consistently getting more kicks, more handballs and more tackles than Richards.

Also his disposals are more reliable too.

On the AFL stats site over the last three weeks:
    Hayes has rated. 101 71 75
    Richards 45 55 43
    Hayes has been pretty good since he returned. I'd say it's line ball between he and Richards if someone needs to be dropped though
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Hayes has been pretty good since he returned. I'd say it's line ball between he and Richards if someone needs to be dropped though
    According to Bevo on AFL360 they have both been playing on the opposite wing to Hunter. He is looking for both to be involved more....or words to that effect.

17. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just on Naughton - the number of goals he scores isn't the only factor. He's often playing as a very mobile CHF. His aerial ability means you could never take your eye off him as a defender. I am also very impressed by his agility when it hits the deck, the wonderful bit of play when he tapped it back in from the boundary line and then scooped it up one-handed was Bont-like. He is an X-factor in our forward line, the one we'd be worrying most about if he played for the opposition. And, looking long-term, playing forward in the ultimate pressure of a final will help him grow even more as a forward.

And of course if we're looking for the ultimate Jeremy Cameron negator on stats alone...come on down Fletcher Roberts. Okay, I'm kidding so hold off with the withering commentary and don't pelt me with rotten tomatoes, but Cameron's abysmal performance in the PF was also an example of how it's the team defence, not just individuals pitted against each other, that carries the day, as on pure talent Cameron should have kicked a bag on Fletch...doesn't it?
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic