Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  54
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee RD 1, 2019 Finals vs Greater Western Sydney

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    Just on Naughton - the number of goals he scores isn't the only factor. He's often playing as a very mobile CHF. His aerial ability means you could never take your eye off him as a defender. I am also very impressed by his agility when it hits the deck, the wonderful bit of play when he tapped it back in from the boundary line and then scooped it up one-handed was Bont-like. He is an X-factor in our forward line, the one we'd be worrying most about if he played for the opposition. And, looking long-term, playing forward in the ultimate pressure of a final will help him grow even more as a forward.
    Agree completely. So easy to get carried away when naughton takes big contested marks inside 50, but his work rate up the ground and ability to continue forward movement from a contest 80 meters from goal is just as important.

He is shaping as an absolute star, his wonky old kicking <30m aside, his competitiveness, footy smarts and obviously marking are alredy elite

2. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone who misses out will be terribly unlucky. The team is playing very well and of course that is a reflection on the coaches

We will give this an almighty shake
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Selected in VFL team: Lewis Young, Jackson Terngove

Not selected in VFL Team: Rhylee West

What do we read into that? Is West definitely in next week?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    Selected in VFL team: Lewis Young, Jackson Terngove

Not selected in VFL Team: Rhylee West

What do we read into that? Is West definitely in next week?
    It’s Lachie Young in the VFL side, I believe.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

6. Thanks Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    It’s Lachie Young in the VFL side, I believe.
    Apologies. My bad.

So does that mean Lewis Young is playing next week?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    Apologies. My bad.

So does that mean Lewis Young is playing next week?
    I’d imagine so.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I think two questions when it comes to selection.

1- Do we go with Zaine or JT?
    Zaine really worries me 1:1 and doesn't really have any great strengths. I think we will go with him though as seems a bit more suited to our team defence style. Not like JT is great 1:1. Definitely shouldn't go with both. Concentrate on our strengths.

2- Dickson or Caleb back in for Hayes/Richards/West.
    Caleb and Dicko will both add more to the side than the trio but an enormous risk to being a player down with rotations. Both Caleb and Dickson have been injured during a game at least twice this season.

Post Thanks / Like

Mock Teams

WESTERN BULLDOGS

B: Matthew Suckling, Lewis Young, Hayden Crozier
    HB: Jason Johannisen, Zaine Cordy, Easton Wood
    C: Ed Richards, Jack Macrae, Lachie Hunter
    HF: Bailey Smith, Josh Schache, Toby McLean
    F: Bailey Dale, Aaron Naughton, Sam Lloyd
    Foll: Tim English, Marcus Bontempelli, Josh Dunkley
    I/C: Taylor Duryea, Patrick Lipinski, Tory Dickson, Will Hayes

Emerg: Rhylee West, Jackson Trengove, Tom Liberatore, Roarke Smith

In: Tory Dickson
    Out: Rhylee West (omitted)

West will count himself as unlucky, but Dickson is a no-brainer to return from a minor hamstring complaint. Liberatore is a chance to return from a knee injury but it seems unlikely he'll be ready in time. Hayes might be the odd one out if 'Libba' makes a rapid recovery. - Jourdan Canil

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY

B: Heath Shaw, Aidan Corr, Sam Taylor
    HB: Nick Haynes, Phil Davis, Zac Williams
    C: Josh Kelly, Jacob Hopper, Harry Perryman
    HF: Lachie Whitfield, Harry Himmelberg, Toby Greene
    F: Jeremy Finlayson, Jeremy Cameron, Brent Daniels
    Foll: Shane Mumford, Tim Taranto, Matt de Boer
    I/C: Sam Reid, Adam Tomlinson, Adam Kennedy, Daniel Lloyd

Emerg: Bobby Hill, Isaac Cumming, Lachie Keeffe, Dawson Simpson

In: Nick Haynes, Jacob Hopper, Toby Greene
    Out: Bobby Hill (omitted), Lachie Keeffe (omitted), Isaac Cumming (omitted)

Greene, Hopper and Haynes are automatic inclusions. The Giants' important talls are fit and healthy at either end so there's no spot for Keeffe or Cumming. Daniels gets the nod ahead of Hill because of his hardness and consistency. Stephen Coniglio (knee) and Brett Deledio (calf) will need a GWS win to play again this year. - Adam Curley

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    Agree completely. So easy to get carried away when naughton takes big contested marks inside 50, but his work rate up the ground and ability to continue forward movement from a contest 80 meters from goal is just as important.

He is shaping as an absolute star, his wonky old kicking <30m aside, his competitiveness, footy smarts and obviously marking are alredy elite
    Naughton (to the eyeball) is the best defensive forward on our list. Chases very hard, sometimes gets rewarded for it too.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

So 6 days, 2 hours, 20 minutes to go.

It seems like there's 3 choices to be made:

Trengove vs Cordy
    Liberatore vs Richards
    Dickson vs West

Trengove vs Cordy

Trengove has more experience, although Cordy is a premiership player. Trengove has had a better season, but for brain fading disposals sometimes deep in defence. If a vicious football hits English in the eye and we need someone to step up and break even against Mumford, Tremgove is the man. Cordy can go play as a Defensive forward, but that shouldn't be needed. Maybe JT's bigger body and experience gives him a slight edge.

Liberatore vs Richards

I like the foot speed of Richards but he's not impacting games to the level that Liberatore can. If Libba is fit to play, he plays for his talent as well as experience in big games and ability to lock down opposition guns at the contest and then win his own footy after.

Dickson vs West

While West is quicker and is kamikaze at the footy and I wish he could play, if Dickson is fit we need as many reliable kicks at goal as we can. So Dickson with a lot more big game experience and goal kicking ability.

Ins: Trengove, Liberatore, Dickson
    Outs: Cordy, Richards, West (all omitted)

I'd bring along any 2016 premiership players to create some good vibes, Morris, Picken, Tom Boyd, Cordy or Roberts if they can.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

13. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dickson if fit for West is the only change I'd make.

Happy to back Cordy in and think he's been OK to finish the year - yes, a few errors but he's the safer option for mine and fits better with Young.

Richards is going OK and we need his wheels, plus doesn't seem like Libba will be ready.

Post Thanks / Like

Can we play Trengove, Young, Cordy, Naughton, Schache and English in the same team?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Can we play Trengove, Young, Cordy, Naughton, Schache and English in the same team?
    No, Trengove/Young/Cordy don’t provide enough intercept, run or quality disposal to have all 3 in the backline.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Horses for courses, yes, against the Plastics.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    So 6 days, 2 hours, 20 minutes to go.

It seems like there's 3 choices to be made:

Trengove vs Cordy
    Liberatore vs Richards
    Dickson vs West

Trengove vs Cordy

Trengove has more experience, although Cordy is a premiership player. Trengove has had a better season, but for brain fading disposals sometimes deep in defence. If a vicious football hits English in the eye and we need someone to step up and break even against Mumford, Tremgove is the man. Cordy can go play as a Defensive forward, but that shouldn't be needed. Maybe JT's bigger body and experience gives him a slight edge.

Liberatore vs Richards

I like the foot speed of Richards but he's not impacting games to the level that Liberatore can. If Libba is fit to play, he plays for his talent as well as experience in big games and ability to lock down opposition guns at the contest and then win his own footy after.

Dickson vs West

While West is quicker and is kamikaze at the footy and I wish he could play, if Dickson is fit we need as many reliable kicks at goal as we can. So Dickson with a lot more big game experience and goal kicking ability.

Ins: Trengove, Liberatore, Dickson
    Outs: Cordy, Richards, West (all omitted)

I'd bring along any 2016 premiership players to create some good vibes, Morris, Picken, Tom Boyd, Cordy or Roberts if they can.
    I am very confident that Caleb Daniel will be playing football this weekend, and I don't think it will be at Footscray.