Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  41
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Three things you have learned-round 23 v Adelaide Crows at Mars Stadium 2019

1. The premiership hasn’t changed my nerves and angst. Even at 3/4 time I couldn’t quite believe that we could do it.

2. Duryea and Crozier are superb recruits. Together, they lessen the reality that we lack a class tall...but hey, we saw in 2016 that it’s the system, not just the individuals, that keep goals out.

3. My decision to book September holidays was unbelievably poor. Shame on you Tragician
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Three things you have learned-round 23 v Adelaide Crows at Mars Stadium 2019

1. Bevo and the whole coaching department take a bow. Many supporters had a go at them in the first half - went early, you always have to wait till the year pans out.

2. I love our midfield

3. I am excited about the finals and the future.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    3. My decision to book September holidays was unbelievably poor. Shame on you Tragician
    If it makes you feel any better, I've done the same - I'm heading to Perth on Grand Final eve. Hopefully the boys make a mockery of it...

Admittedly, this is just from the highlights, but:

1. We make our own luck. There was no need to rely on results going our way - the team just went out and did the job.

2. The team just seems to have clicked, that sixth sense of everyone knowing where everyone else is on the field and where to direct the ball has returned. Really playing with and for each other.

3. From here on in, the sky is the limit. I'm just stoked to have made it to finals given how dire we looked before the bye. I think hoping for a recreation of 2016 is a bit much (that sort of stuff only happens once in a lifetime), but getting finals footy into a young team will only serve us in good stead for the next few years.
    Wake me up when we get to heaven, let me sleep if we're going to hell

Good luck, for your sake I hope heaven and hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath

And we all found heaven - 2016 Premiers!

4. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    1. Bevo and the whole coaching department take a bow. Many supporters had a go at them in the first half - went early, you always have to wait till the year pans out.

2. I love our midfield

3. I am excited about the finals and the future.
    Whilst I think Bevo and the other coaches are coaching very well now - that doesn't excuse the missteps of the first half of the year.
    Of course the players are also responsible, but the amazing second half of the year doesn't excuse the underperformance of the first half of the year.

The difference in the team since we've had Bont, Macrae and Dunks as 100% midfield, Schache in the side, and started actually picking tall defenders - has been enormous.

6. Likes bulldogtragic, Danjul, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. We still struggle with the big forwards, Trengove even though I don't rate him, will have to come in I think.
    2. Bailey Dale looks awesome when we are on top. Let's see what he does in a close one.
    3. We are not the bulldogs I grew up with anymore. Since 2016, this club/group no longer have the weight of that baggage, the expectation of failure and coming up just short. For the first time ever we are putting sides to the sword week after week.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Whilst I think Bevo and the other coaches are coaching very well now - that doesn't excuse the missteps of the first half of the year.
    Of course the players are also responsible, but the amazing second half of the year doesn't excuse the underperformance of the first half of the year.

The difference in the team since we've had Bont, Macrae and Dunks as 100% midfield, Schache in the side, and started actually picking tall defenders - has been enormous.
    You can only play the players that are in form, and many weren't in the first half of the season.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Our midfield is the best in the AFL.
    Young and Cordy doing well, sterner test against Jeremy Cameron in 2 weeks.
    We need more from McLean and Richards, can't afford any passengers in the finals.

Post Thanks / Like

1. Our midfield is the best thing we have
    2. Our forwards are not far behind in being world-class. Dale, Naughts, Schache, Dicko, Llyod are just amazing
    3. WE'RE PLAYING FINALSSSSS
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

1. Lewis Young might have arrived

2. Will be a hard 22 to change for the next game

3. You can get sunburnt in Ballarat in August when the temperature doesn’t even reach double figures
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post

Having those midfielders together and Schache in the the team is only a small part of why we're actually performing well. it's the effort that is consistent and is making us better than we were before the bye.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

13. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We have started to gel.
    We were pounding it into our forward line for the last two years but the mids and forwards just didn’t seem to click, now they have and it should only get better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    You can only play the players that are in form, and many weren't in the first half of the season.
    To clarify you are saying that playing Dunkley forward at the start of the year was the right decision taking into account his finish to 2018 and his pre season?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    To clarify you are saying that playing Dunkley forward at the start of the year was the right decision taking into account his finish to 2018 and his pre season?
    No he isn't saying that, in fact he doesn't mention Dunkley at all and specifically talks about multiple players and being in/out of form

17. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    No he isn't saying that, in fact he doesn't mention Dunkley at all and specifically talks about multiple players and being in/out of form
    Thanks for answering on BADs behalf...

Ozza specifically mentioned 3 core midfielders and Schache, Dunkley being one of the midfielders.

It’s ok to admit the coaches got things wrong in the first half the year but have clearly got a lot right post the bye.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I was going to agree about Lippa he is the best at the one touch pick up since Doug Hawkins who was the absolute master folowed since Michael Maclean.

But. Have you noticed that none of those kids get knocked over or fall over in the contest? Falling over is a real bugbear of mine but I haven't really noticed a real lot of it happening this season. Given we are such a young team it's great we are keeping our feet in contested situations.
    I was interested to read Bevo's comments in the wake of the Bont hit on Haynes. There seems to be a big emphasis on how to approach the opposition players and I'm assuming keeping the feet in the contest is part of that. Bont in particular is beautifully balanced - that first goal where he shimmied then slotted it from 40m was just poetry.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers