Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  41
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Three things you have learned-round 23 v Adelaide Crows at Mars Stadium 2019

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I agree, if we are going to pat the coaches and MC on the back when things are going well then we need to be questioning why that wasn't happening earlier in the season. We ignored players with the form and we played some players out of position early on.

Too many people are all too keen to celebrate success but just not willing to look deep enough when we come up short.
    Who was in form and didn't get a go?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Three things you have learned-round 23 v Adelaide Crows at Mars Stadium 2019

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    Earlier this year Macrae was often at half forward for the centre bounce. He didn’t look comfortable. I’m curious whether the more settled and effective midfield has come about fortuitously because of the injuries to Wallis and Libba. Rotating them through as well didn’t seem to make us better (Gowers too in middle sometimes). Whatever the reason I always feel relief to see JMac and Bont together in there. Didn’t they work together beautifully on the weekend.
    JMac and Bont together are an amazing combo with real physical presence like mini Tom Williamses who looked like a colossus to me. Jack and Marcus together at the opening bounce are intimidating with their height and bullk now they have matured footballers' bodies and Dunkley makes a trio of critical mass.

Post Thanks / Like

1. Lewis Young can play. Still a way to go but he is on track to be a very good KPD.

2. We took the game away from the cows in the blink of an eye. Footy is easy! We do that in the finals and we'll be holding the cup.

3. Trengove must come straight back in . Tex kicked 5. We can't have J Cameron, Finlayson and Himleburg getting those sort of numbers.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jam Donuts View Post
    [/B]
    I call bullshit on number 3, cant even get sunburnt in Noosa at the moment. It was not the sun but windburn from the speed of our youngsters moving the ball around.
    😆

We were right on the fence and couldn’t feel the wind at all, we were surprised how much kicks were holding up at our end.

I got a bit tight I the face yesterday but my boys face got fried in the second half - he’s a rusty blonde with fair complexion but no Ed Richards
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

5. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree, if we are going to pat the coaches and MC on the back when things are going well then we need to be questioning why that wasn't happening earlier in the season. We ignored players with the form and we played some players out of position early on.

Too many people are all too keen to celebrate success but just not willing to look deep enough when we come up short.
    Sorry can't agree with the last statement. Think everyone on here has been critical of Bevo and the MC at times. Some more so than others. How deep one looks well that is subjective.

Post Thanks / Like

1. Whatever happened over the break during the bye needs to be bottled and sold
    2. Our handball game and transition run is incredible, the numbers at the footy and the pace at which we spread is unstoppable
    3. Bailey dale has completely changed our forward line movement. He is a smart leading player and we kick it to him which is 101 but so effective

Post Thanks / Like

I thought Bevo's comment on AFL 360 regarding early season selection made the basis of these decisions completely transparent. He said (and I am paraphrasing from memory, I am sure someone can find the precise quotes) that players were picked on their demonstrated ability at the time (read form) to perform the task required. They were not selected on height, weight, historical performances or positional experience. In the second half of the year the same criteria was applied, only now the guys with the optimal physical qualities and positional experience were performing well enough to claim those spots.

GVGjr, on your last statement I disagree. I think too many people feel that if they are not being critical then they are somehow failing the test of being a passionate supporter and letting their team down.
    The Angels have the phone box. Don't blink!

9. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    3. Bailey dale has completely changed our forward line movement. He is a smart leading player and we kick it to him which is 101 but so effective
    Dale is a finisher which we desperately need, but when the players talk about "unselfish play" the finger should go to Naughton, Schache and Lloyd who just know how to give Dale space to lead into.
    His form is absolutely on the back of the hard work of those guys and it's working a treat. Bailey owes them a few beers when Mad Monday finally hits.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Dale is a finisher which we desperately need, but when the players talk about "unselfish play" the finger should go to Naughton, Schache and Lloyd who just know how to give Dale space to lead into.
    His form is absolutely on the back of the hard work of those guys and it's working a treat. Bailey owes them a few beers when Mad Monday finally hits.
    Good observation Mofra. They all complement each other very well plus add Dickson and Mclean into the mix it is a very difficult forward line to match up on. Speaking of Dale he is listed as only 183cm, to me he seems taller or at least he certainly plays as a medium sized forward whom has exceptional hands.

Post Thanks / Like

Dale's certainly proving adept at finding the seams.

Should we push deep into the finals it wouldn't surprise me if he tops our September goal tally.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Dale's certainly proving adept at finding the seams.

Should we push deep into the finals it wouldn't surprise me if he tops our September goal tally.
    Does a Picken
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

14. Likes Murphy'sLore liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Does a Picken
    That is totally a verb and Dale's totally going to 'Picken' it.

Jeez, is it finals time yet or what?
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Lloyd constantly has a ping even when he's not in a position to do so. Sometimes team mates are free but he just blazes away too often. It annoys me.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Lloyd constantly has a ping even when he's not in a position to do so. Sometimes team mates are free but he just blazes away too often. It annoys me.
    Or spoils a certain mark of a team mate by trying to mark at full stretch with his finger tips. He has a lot of great traits, but his 'hungary' tendencies can go too far.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

18. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Couldnt agree with this more! In fact, and Im not criticising him, the only game he has been really poor in was the brisbane game when we just couldnt get our forward entries working and our running patterns in the forward line looked very odd.

He is only one ingredient and its nice to finally have a couple of targets down there so a 3rd tall is actually a 3rd tall, and not the same bloke as the first and second against 2 defenders every time.
    The dam wall has busted!

20. Likes Mofra liked this post