Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  41
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Three things you have learned-round 23 v Adelaide Crows at Mars Stadium 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Before I Die View Post
    I thought Bevo's comment on AFL 360 regarding early season selection made the basis of these decisions completely transparent. He said (and I am paraphrasing from memory, I am sure someone can find the precise quotes) that players were picked on their demonstrated ability at the time (read form) to perform the task required. They were not selected on height, weight, historical performances or positional experience. In the second half of the year the same criteria was applied, only now the guys with the optimal physical qualities and positional experience were performing well enough to claim those spots.

GVGjr, on your last statement I disagree. I think too many people feel that if they are not being critical then they are somehow failing the test of being a passionate supporter and letting their team down.
    Lipinski for example had a brilliant preseason both from a physical development phase and in the preseason intraclub games before having just one poor game in the JLT which resulted with him being dropped for a long period. Hayes who didn't have the form behind at that stage him was given an extended run. When Hayes returned later in the year, in the last month or so, he had the form behind him and performed well.

I believe we were experimenting with selections and all too keen to reinvent the game rather than sticking to the tried and true method of picking players in form and in their more natural positions.

I couldn't disagree more with you from the section I highlighted. I don't for one minute think people deliberately go out of their way to criticise the club under the guise of being a passionate supporter especially if they put up the facts as they see it to support their view.

We have a few that fly the flag consistently for the club but it doesn't mean they are better supporters but in my opinion to suggest people go out of their way to criticise the club is just wrong.
    It's all good and well to tow the company line and good luck to them but in some instances this hasn't always been the case.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Three things you have learned-round 23 v Adelaide Crows at Mars Stadium 2019

Quote Originally Posted by whythelongface View Post
    Good observation Mofra. They all complement each other very well plus add Dickson and Mclean into the mix it is a very difficult forward line to match up on. Speaking of Dale he is listed as only 183cm, to me he seems taller or at least he certainly plays as a medium sized forward whom has exceptional hands.
    I've stood next to Dale a few times I am 186cm and he is 4-5cm taller than me. I'd put him down at 190cm.

Probably measured 183 when he was drafted.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

3. Thanks whythelongface, Mofra thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I've stood next to Dale a few times I am 186cm and he is 4-5cm taller than me. I'd put him down at 190cm.

Remember him having size 13 feet was mentioned when he was drafted, so it was believed he still had some growing to do
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post

I think you are spot on. I'm sure I read he was 188 to 190cm tall now

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Lipinski for example had a brilliant preseason both from a physical development phase and in the preseason intraclub games before having just one poor game in the JLT which resulted with him being dropped for a long period.
    You know this is incorrect. You also know that Lippa spoke with the coach and it was decided he had to learn the inside game. This was explained by Gia in a video early in the year. There was a deliberate plan set up and it worked.

No one has explained where the MC went wrong in the first half, with proper examples and who did deserve a game and didn't get one. I have mentioned that it was impossible to understand why Trengove was not picked, which to me was a mistake.

Schache and Young , like Lippa, were also asked to work on their game.

The only other perplexing decision was to take Gardner in the mid season draft. So far I don't see it in him, but he is young and may mature and get better in a few years.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    Remember him having size 13 feet was mentioned when he was drafted, so it was believed he still had some growing to do
    He hadn't hit puberty when he was drafted, plenty of development left.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    No one has explained where the MC went wrong in the first half, with proper examples and who did deserve a game and didn't get one. I have mentioned that it was impossible to understand why Trengove was not picked, which to me was a mistake.
    The glaring one for most of us was Dunkley forward (after his super finish as a mid in 2018), and Wallis in the midfield when his best 2018 football was as a forward. Quite a few of us noted this at the time.

Carlton played four legitimate marking options in their first game against us and we went in with only Cordy. Most of us said it was worrying and we'd be killed in the air, and that is what happened (to be fair we were beaten in the middle too).

They are the two most obvious issues most of us called out. We look much better with Trengove in the side as a KPD too, I think most of us agree that pairing 193cm Cordy and 186cm Wood as KPDs was just not going to be sustainable.

9. Likes strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I think you are spot on. I'm sure I read he was 188 to 190cm tall now
    Long lanky arms so he seems to have good reach.

Post Thanks / Like

You know this is incorrect. You also know that Lippa spoke with the coach and it was decided he had to learn the inside game. This was explained by Gia in a video early in the year. There was a deliberate plan set up and it worked.

The only other perplexing decision was to take Gardner in the mid season draft. So far I don't see it in him, but he is young and may mature and get better in a few years.
    Sorry, but it is a fact that he was in the best condition and he was playing well in the intra club games etc. After just one poor game in the JLT we dropped him back and we played the likes of Hayes before he was ready
    I'm not sure why you are choosing to ignore that

Gardner was another perplexing decision, his form at Footscray was at best average before getting promoted

Williams trains with the mids and slotted in defence

We had all summer to develop players but ignored for early in the season with selections

Post Thanks / Like

In fairness there were a number of examples where the MC got it wrong in the first half of 2019, which reflected on our poor performances. The most glaring as you suggested was the dropping of Trengrove and you could add playing Maclean and Suckling as half forwards and preferring Gowers to Schache.The decision to play Gardner was most puzzling given that he wasn't even training with the senior team at the time. The actions in the second half has however been the best positional for 3 years, with the now permanent moves of Dunkley and Macrae into the midfield, the re-emergence of Dale as a goalkicking forward and the persistence of playing Schache and Naughton as key forwards have been stand outs.
    Players such as Lipinski, Duryea and Hayes have also benefited in being part of winning sides.

13. Likes Danjul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    The glaring one for most of us was Dunkley forward (after his super finish as a mid in 2018), and Wallis in the midfield when his best 2018 football was as a forward. Quite a few of us noted this at the time.

Carlton played four legitimate marking options in their first game against us and we went in with only Cordy. Most of us said it was worrying and we'd be killed in the air, and that is what happened (to be fair we were beaten in the middle too).

They are the two most obvious issues most of us called out. We look much better with Trengove in the side as a KPD too, I think most of us agree that pairing 193cm Cordy and 186cm Wood as KPDs was just not going to be sustainable.
    As I mentioned earlier, there is nothing wrong with trying players in different positions as long as when it doesn't work, you revert back.

The whole discussion started with me saying overall for the year, the coaches have done very well, but others still think they haven't.

The biggest error for me, was the Carlton game, leaving Trengrove out, but overall, I don't believe the other moves effected our overall performance. The issue in the first half was lack of defensive play, and lack of effort by some players.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.