Thanks Thanks:  25
Likes Likes:  301
Page 20 of 32 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2019 AFL Finals Series

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    Can’t believe the level of hatred on here for GWS. They have played exactly as you would want your side to play. Unbelievable performance and at some point we just have to acknowledge that.
    Agree. They have played a strong brand of football and been ferocious.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    A sad result for Aussie Rules. A GWS win next week really diminishes the value of a premiership going forward.

Spare me the bravery, underdog bullshit. They are doing exactly as they have been designed to do. That they havent yet done it already is a failing on them. Give them no credit, no respect.
    Wasn’t Gold Coast given the same advantages? It has not all just be given to them.

Post Thanks / Like

Given there were probably less than 8000 “die-hards” at the final on their own deck, prepare for the AFL propaganda arm to be in full swing and there to be bays of people dressed in Orange that barely know the rules. We will be force fed the idea of this as a vindication of their strategic vision whereas it is more like reward on a significant investment.

I am forever glad that in 2016 we were the ones who delayed this scenario but it was always inevitable.

Sheedy is going to present the medals, Thug Toby will get to experience a grand final, and Gill and his cronies will be ecstatic. Please win Tigers.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

4. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I for one look forward to Israel Folau presenting Greene with the Norm Smith.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

6. Likes bornadog, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    I for one look forward to Israel Folau presenting Greene with the Norm Smith.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Can’t believe the level of hatred on here for GWS. They have played exactly as you would want your side to play. Unbelievable performance and at some point we just have to acknowledge that.
    The thing that is lost in all of the hate is that most of the players have had to do it tougher than most. Getting absolutely smacked for a few years and playing in front of no one, while they watch their mates play in front of at least 35ish and as much as 90k on a weekly basis.

The damn shame of it all if they win the year Callan Ward is out.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep. What they have done this finals series has been hugely impressive - twice winning on the road in hostile enemy territory with several key players out, and before that clinically dispensing with a form team to state their intentions.

Guys like Reid, De Boer, Daniels and Lloyd are a million miles from top end draft talent - these types are the antidote to the plastics manufactured mantra, and the stark difference between them and Gold Coast. I hate them but there comes a time when you have to begrudgingly say well done.

I reckon Richmond will be a bridge too far for them next week and all will be well again with the world.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

All week leading up to the final i was reluctantly barracking for the pies. Then at some stage during the first quarter, i started getting flashbacks to the unbearable pie supporters i've worked with over the years. And the memories of visits to Vic Park . And i found myself barracking for the giants. Plus the way they played. Think i'll take a rain check for the grand final though.

11. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Amazingly found myself supporting GWS yesterday. Greene out makes them infinitely more likable. I still hate Cameron, Mumford and to a lesser extent Davis and Shaw, but Greene is by far the biggest reason I dislike GWS. I am dreading how much credit Sheedy is going to get for their appearance this week though. Really hoping Greene, Cameron and Mumford all do their hammies this week, maybe Sheedy as well.

That last quarter non-score review was terrible. It very clearly touched the player in the foregrounds fingers and was at worst a 5050 shot of having touched the other blokes fingers too.

That's two weeks in a row that GWS have held on to a result somehow locking down the last 5 minutes of the game despite having everything thrown at them. Seriously impressive. Also they are great to watch, Williams and Haynes especially are super impressive.

Really hoping they have a good showing support wise, partly because most Giants supporters I have talked to have been enthusiastic and also because I am so over the same tired jokes every single week about how "Giants had a great turnout today, selling 3 tickets!!!" and "AFL's probably going to have bays of paid extras masquerading as Giants fans this week" and jabs about how they'll be handing out free tickets etc. I feel I've been a bit more supportive of them as a side and think they are building ok off field, so hoping that opinion is somewhat vindicated this week by a good showing.

Since their game against us I've had 2016/17 vibes about them and just feel with the buy in from the playing group they could go all the way. They're bloody close now. It's a shame that Greene will be playing for them because without him i think i could genuinely go for them this week.

Lastly I think it's going to be interesting how much focus there is going to be on Tom Lynch this week. Journos seem to be running with the whole storyline of how he deserves this success after all he has gone through. As if having a private school education, probably on a scholarship, into about 8 years of being a star on the Gold Coast as a captain of a side and on $800k+ pa before leaving to join an already very good side where he just has to be on the end of their attacking moves is a great rags to riches story.

Hoping Sam Reid, who was effectively been delisted 2, maybe 3 times and has overcome all the odds to be a big part of this 22 gets credit for his persistence.

Also a huge positive from this is we have the best two team songs in the Grand Final, so every cloud....
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

13. Thanks macca thanked for this post
    Likes The Adelaide Connection, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Amazingly found myself supporting GWS yesterday. Greene out makes them infinitely more likable. I still hate Cameron, Mumford and to a lesser extent Davis and Shaw, but Greene is by far the biggest reason I dislike GWS. I am dreading how much credit Sheedy is going to get for their appearance this week though. Really hoping Greene, Cameron and Mumford all do their hammies this week, maybe Sheedy as well.

That last quarter non-score review was terrible. It very clearly touched the player in the foregrounds fingers and was at worst a 5050 shot of having touched the other blokes fingers too.

That's two weeks in a row that GWS have held on to a result somehow locking down the last 5 minutes of the game despite having everything thrown at them. Seriously impressive. Also they are great to watch, Williams and Haynes especially are super impressive.

Really hoping they have a good showing support wise, partly because most Giants supporters I have talked to have been enthusiastic and also because I am so over the same tired jokes every single week about how "Giants had a great turnout today, selling 3 tickets!!!" and "AFL's probably going to have bays of paid extras masquerading as Giants fans this week" and jabs about how they'll be handing out free tickets etc. I feel I've been a bit more supportive of them as a side and think they are building ok off field, so hoping that opinion is somewhat vindicated this week by a good showing.

Since their game against us I've had 2016/17 vibes about them and just feel with the buy in from the playing group they could go all the way. They're bloody close now. It's a shame that Greene will be playing for them because without him i think i could genuinely go for them this week.

Lastly I think it's going to be interesting how much focus there is going to be on Tom Lynch this week. Journos seem to be running with the whole storyline of how he deserves this success after all he has gone through. As if having a private school education, probably on a scholarship, into about 8 years of being a star on the Gold Coast as a captain of a side and on $800k+ pa before leaving to join an already very good side where he just has to be on the end of their attacking moves is a great rags to riches story.

Hoping Sam Reid, who was effectively been delisted 2, maybe 3 times and has overcome all the odds to be a big part of this 22 gets credit for his persistence.

Also a huge positive from this is we have the best two team songs in the Grand Final, so every cloud....
    I second the Sam Reid sentiment. I second the GWS are a much more likeable team without Toby Greene sentiment. Actually, I think I agree with all of this.

GWS apparently have 30k members and even the least sceptical would assume there are quite a few giveaways in that (not unlike what we have done in the past). However, you would assume that 2/3rdsish would be legitimate fans which would almost definitely mean they take their quota of tickets.

Is it 18,000 that each competing club gets now? I can’t imagine too many in the AFL or MCC will be donning orange, but 18,000 or so can certainly still make their presence felt.

Ps It would be pretty amazing if the GWS fans start to resemble all orange crowds of the Netherlands in world cups etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Guys like Reid, De Boer, Daniels and Lloyd are a million miles from top end draft talent - these types are the antidote to the plastics manufactured mantra, and the stark difference between them and Gold Coast. I hate them but there comes a time when you have to begrudgingly say well done.
    All these guys have great journeyman stories. Really happy for Sam Reid, he has had an amazing AFL story. You can probably add Keefe and Adam kennedy ( overlooked in 2010 draft). Getting Mumford out from retirement( ahem... recreational activities) was smart recruitment

Plastics have recruited smartly with 6 of these players who have seem to come out of nowhere. As much as I dislike because of AFL bias( in particular some terrible umpring decisions/non-decisions yesterday ... its consistent, but media spins this as luck...) I have massive dislike for their bad onfield behaviouring players like Green, David and Shaw.

They have some dramatic improvements in some of their young players like Himmelberg, Finlayson, Taylor, Corr and Zac Williams covering in the midfield

Well done to them, but I still hope Richmond wins.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    I second the Sam Reid sentiment. I second the GWS are a much more likeable team without Toby Greene sentiment. Actually, I think I agree with all of this.

GWS apparently have 30k members and even the least sceptical would assume there are quite a few giveaways in that (not unlike what we have done in the past). However, you would assume that 2/3rdsish would be legitimate fans which would almost definitely mean they take their quota of tickets.

Is it 18,000 that each competing club gets now? I can’t imagine too many in the AFL or MCC will be donning orange, but 18,000 or so can certainly still make their presence felt.

Ps It would be pretty amazing if the GWS fans start to resemble all orange crowds of the Netherlands in world cups etc.
    Having been to a few GFs, don’t underestimate the volume of Sydney based corporates who will be there. They’ll be dwarfed by Tiger fans but I reckon they’ll have more cheers in this match than any ever before.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    Wasn’t Gold Coast given the same advantages? It has not all just be given to them.
    No, they were not. However, they did make a mess of what they were given.

Cal Ward missing out is probably the only silver lining for me.

18. Likes macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Christ it's been less than 24 hours and I'm already drowning in the flood of feel-good GWS tales dashed off by Gillon's meeja minions to try to get people invested.

Get thoroughly - and I cannot stress this enough - f****d.

I want your product to fail.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

20. Likes Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    No, they were not. However, they did make a mess of what they were given.

Cal Ward missing out is probably the only silver lining for me.
    Me too, I have no sympathy for Ward, and Reid is a very ordinary player and I don't give a rats arse about them or GWS overall.

Our club has not been given one advantage over its existence over the 142 years, in fact lots been taken away and changed to suit the AFL, whereas GWS have had about 50 1st round picks (exaggeration).
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

22. Likes SonofScray, macca liked this post