Thanks Thanks:  25
Likes Likes:  301
Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2019 AFL Finals Series

If I was to do a ranking of teams in order - with those I hate the most at the top, West Coast would be a clear number #1 (and I reckon any other WA based supporters would 10000% agree). Further, I think that their 2006 and now their 2018 premierships are fatally flawed given subsequent events (Cousins use of amphetamines, Rioli) and should have an asterix against them in the record books.

That said. After the week they had to fight back from 6 goals to 1 and make a 'go of things' last night was very impressive. I think Simpson is a terrific coach - having spent a week shadowing him back in 2015 I really admire and appreciate the way he goes about things, particularly given the inexperienced assistant coaches he had back then - and the way he was able to generate a response from them after quarter time last night was very impressive.

They lost, but can hold their heads high. I can't stop going back to last week, but I really want to know where the fight was from our players in a pretty similar situation???
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I can't stop going back to last week, but I really want to know where the fight was from our players in a pretty similar situation???
    This is the main thing for me. There are just too many examples where teams came out and jumped us and we didn't seem to have the answers. North, Saints and GWS are recent examples and to make matters worse apparently we knew they were going to tag JJ and Hunter and go hard at Bontempelli physically and yet we it still seemed to catch us unaware. There is also a question about why we don't feel the need to employ the tagging option more ourselves

If history tells us anything other clubs will now look at the option of going hard at us physically. Remember when JJ first got tagged and it wasn't long before most teams did that to us. We either need to recruit a a couple of tough nuts, hope that Liberatore and maybe Wallis address that area or work on developing a couple of current players to have that hard edge about them

It's going to be very interesting to see how or if we respond
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

3. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    This is the main thing for me. There are just too many examples where teams came out and jumped us and we didn't seem to have the answers. North, Saints and GWS are recent examples and to make matters worse apparently we knew they were going to tag JJ and Hunter and go hard at Bontempelli physically and yet we it still seemed to catch us unaware. There is also a question about why we don't feel the need to employ the tagging option more ourselves

If history tells us anything other clubs will now look at the option of going hard at us physically. Remember when JJ first got tagged and it wasn't long before most teams did that to us. We either need to recruit a a couple of tough nuts, hope that Liberatore and maybe Wallis address that area or work on developing a couple of current players to have that hard edge about them

I think we will respond in the future as our young bodies mature. Guys like Smith, Naughton have attitude and aren't afraid to stand up, however at 18 and 19 years old, they don't have the strength in their bodies. JJ will never be a player like that, but Cordy we know is. Hopefully we learnt a lesson last week.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I think we will respond in the future as our young bodies mature. Guys like Smith, Naughton have attitude and aren't afraid to stand up, however at 18 and 19 years old, they don't have the strength in their bodies. JJ will never be a player like that, but Cordy we know is. Hopefully we learnt a lesson last week.
    I hope you're right. WC are a much older and more experienced side than us, and I also rate GWS higher than Geelong, so the task of getting back into our game was a lot tougher than it was for the Eagles.

But honestly, after taking the lead, how did the Eagles let it slip and get beaten by almost 4 goals? They should have romped home with the momentum, the better midfield, the dominant ruckman etc. Their defence - McGov and Barrass especially - was an absolute shambles and made Young & Cordy's efforts from last week look AA-like.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Why would he punch Neale? They are on the same team!
    Guilty of vague syntax there ... the second part of the sentence was aimed at GWS.

Robbo's a psycho but he's not *that* psycho.

Thankfully they've a handy substitute in Robertson who won't shirk anything willing.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post

Their defence - McGov and Barrass especially - was an absolute shambles
    It doesn't matter how good your defenders are if the ball LIVES in your backline.

I know you said WC had the better midfield? Well, not last night they didn't. Your point about them hitting the front is a reference to q3 really and q3 was a false dawn. They were competing well but Geelong were dominating the ball - I think 15 i50's to 10 for the q (though I haven't gone back to check) but WC kicked goals on 50% of their entries...

My point was even in the last q they genuinely fought it out and there were just no over the back bs scores (though I guess you could say the Bews goal was a bit like that...but that was from a Parfitt mis-kick not a pass).
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I dont necessarily buy the argument that youth is the catchall excuse that explains losses or in this case a lack of vigour. Yes of course we can get better but in a lot of examples we knew they would come out hard in the first quarter but we still didn't seem prepared for it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post

Could not agree more with this and MJP's post. The way we approached last week was simply not to the required level, and it wasn't an isolated occurrence in 2019. All 17 other teams have filed it away and will test us physically to the limit next year and beyond until we respond positively.

I get the commentary on Greene (scratching my head at the Himmelberg outrage, which happens most weeks and the precedent set has been a fine, which is what he got) but I am a little tired of hearing about how big bad GWS beat up on us last week. We should have been on high alert from the start but we simply let it happen and meekly accepted our fate. For mine that is by far the biggest take-out from the game.

I'm dirty we aren't all looking forward to a final in Brisbane tonight - we are good enough and didn't put our best foot forward last week. It's not about throwing the baby out with the bathwater, but we were good enough to qualify for finals in 2019 and there are no guarantees in the future.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

10. Likes mjp, GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I hate gws!!!
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Charlie Cameron season over?
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Charlie Cameron season over?
    Not even this Qtr over!

14. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good luck to Marcus Adams and San Reid tonight

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    Not even this Qtr over!
    Haha whoops
    The curse is dead.

17. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Would have been nice to get some of the frees they’re paying tonight.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Good to see the Lions, immediately not accept any garbage from GWS.
    Even prepared to give away early free's, in order to stand their ground.
    Wish our lads had've done the same.

A pity the umps are only this week paying closer attention to GWS infringements, in particular Greene.