Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2
    Post Thanks / Like

Dogs dare to dream from seventh. Again.

Link

Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge has encouraged his players to embrace a possible journey to the grand final from outside the top four, just as they did three years ago.

A likely unchanged line-up will head to Giants Stadium to take on GWS in a fortnight having won their last two games at the venue, including a famous preliminary final in 2016.

When asked about his team's prospects from seventh on the ladder, Beveridge pointed to the club's record over the fellow finalists this season.

He said West Coast "blew us away" in the second half during their meeting, while Collingwood beat them twice this year in two tight contests.

'I think they can win it'

"The other five teams in the eight we've beaten," the coach said on Monday.

"We won't look past GWS, but there's a distinct possibility that we could be the team at the end. As you chalk up the finals victories, it becomes more probable and it's less of a fantasy.

"Right at this point of time, I'm hoping that all our players believe that we're every much a chance as the top four and we'll approach the series accordingly."

Both Beveridge and his captain Easton Wood conceded September wasn't looking likely when they were just four wins from their first 11 games, although the coach stressed they weren't too far off their best.

Wood said it was a testament to the strong belief within the team that they fought their way back into finals contention.

"To have to win eight after only winning four in the first part of the year, that's a pretty big effort and we probably didn't think it was likely at the time," Wood said.

"But the great thing about 'Bevo' and our coaches and playing group is that there's always been an element of, 'Why not? Why can't it happen?' "

On top of their white-hot form at the right time of the year, the Bulldogs have also found balance and consistency at match committee level.

Although Tory Dickson will have to prove his fitness after missing Sunday's game with a hamstring issue, the Dogs look unlikely to make many changes going into the first final.

"I wouldn't think so," Beveridge said calmly when asked if he was expecting many changes.

"The VFL boys played really well against Coburg. Jackson Trengove was a bit stiff but we don't anticipate we'd make too many changes."

Tom Liberatore (knee) and Caleb Daniel (hamstring) are both chances of coming into the side later in the finals series, if the Bulldogs remain alive.

"If Tom starts to train fully and we win then we'd consider him if we get an injury or something," Beveridge said.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks choconmientay thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dogs dare to dream from seventh. Again.

I AM believing. We have beaten ALL the other finalists already THIS YEAR. Except the pies, and we had them on toast but kicked ourselves out of it. And the Eagles of course, but we're not in their pool and wouldn't have to play them in Perth. We wouldn't play them til the Grand Final at the MCG.
    All set up pretty well I reckon. Carn the Dogs.

4. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We don’t need to believe just play with the same ruthlessness and unrelenting pressure
    We have a better list now than in 2016 minus Tom Boyd and Picken

We make up for it in Duryea , crozier and suckling without the stupid brain fades
    I can’t believe how fortunatr we are with the first2 as they are playing their best career footy for us .

We have a good productive forward line in schache( hard running forward ) naughton ( marking beast) and mid size crumber in Dale, and dead eye kicks I. Loyld and Dickson
    We have the best midfield in the comp

The only place I see us get beaten is in the Ruck and possible if Cordy or young have a bad day

Teams are scared of us and we can do some serious damage

Play with abandonment boys and leave nothing in the tank!
    The boys won’t be happy with some of the junk time goals Adelaide got at the last 5 mins , so they know there is still room to improve and 4 quarters of footy to play out

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    TFW the coach has bigger guns than the skipper.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

7. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Haha he does look a bit worried there, like he's trying his hardest to compete but just can't match it with the top dog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    I dare you to compare quads.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers