Thanks Thanks:  36
Likes Likes:  113
Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Jack Martin

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Jack Martin

I think he deserves his won thread because he will be a prime focus for a few clubs from this time going forward

The questions I'd like to hear about are:

What would be his best position with us?

Is he actually worth the hype?

Does he and can he deliver on his talent?

What would be a reasonable offer from a salary perspective for his services and for how long would the contract be?

For such a highly regarded player he hasn't quite delivered yet and I'd want to be confident that our club can extract the best out of him

I'd be very interested to hear your thought on the Pro's and Con's we need to consider before trading for Jack Martin
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jack Martin

He will definitely be a better player in a better side.
    Opportunist who can accumulate when moved up the ground , X factor , brings more than Stringer would have I think.
    Good fit , better club and more professional.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

He's a yes from me and I'd look to play him as a wing or high half forward.

From a trade point of view, I'd say a late first or early second and maybe a swap of picks the following year if we had too.

Salary - not close enough to these kinds of things, but I suppose we'd need to stump up around $600k a year to get a ticket. I'd be reluctant to go too much higher if we got a 4 year deal given consistency concerns.

He's a yes for me on the above basis, but would want to know he fits well with our playing group and will buy in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    He's a yes from me and I'd look to play him as a wing or high half forward.

From a trade point of view, I'd say a late first or early second and maybe a swap of picks the following year if we had too.

Salary - not close enough to these kinds of things, but I suppose we'd need to stump up around $600k a year to get a ticket. I'd be reluctant to go too much higher if we got a 4 year deal given consistency concerns.

He's a yes for me on the above basis, but would want to know he fits well with our playing group and will buy in.
    Agree with much of this, especially late first rounder (or if it's sooner, something back in 2020). With the competition for his signature, I'm thinking 5 years at $600,000 would be minimum to win him over. Maybe a trigger for a sixth year. Winning a premiership or too nets him extra big cash on top too.

He has talent to burn, my estimation is that in a better set up and in a contending team we will see that talent reached. He can win his own ball as well as get it on the outside. Has good tackle numbers. So I think he's flexibile for to Bevo to play midfield, high half forward, wing or as a forward. His type is exactly what we need.

The risk is whether the time at GCS has resulted in an arrested development, or if this his best footy. To me his best footy is ahead of him in a team like ours where he has a clear role to address a clear need. I'd do it in a heartbeat.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Look at a player like Scrimshaw. A top 10 pick that struggled to break into GC’s senior team last year, comes across to Hawks and a good program, suddenly looks a player again.

I think the same thing would happen with Martin.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

$600 over for years is also a yes from me but the best question here is will he buy in!!! Our mids and high half worwards work hatter both ways that any other club not sure he has the work ethic but in the club I trust.
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning

Post Thanks / Like

Could we offer a player with the deal to get him across?
    Would one of our fringe players like to make a move for more senior time.
    I'm thinking someone like Webb who has been going ok in the two's but no vacancy in the seniors.
    Age profile would help the Suns or may be Jong although he's having trouble staying on the park.
    Just a thought.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Ok. Here's my thoughts.
    I remember the lead up to that idiotic 'mini draft' that basically was another poorly thought out AFL 'initiative'.

Jack Martin was so, so, so hyped, He was driven, he was footy obsessed, he spent his whole life dreaming of playing footy. He drove himself with extra training and moved himself away from home to be in a better footy environment and follow his dream............and all the way he just kept impressing people on and off field. ( sound like anyone we know?????? Cough.....Bailey Smith.... cough) We were absolutely keen on him and would have taken him FOR SURE if we weren't asked for picks 5 AND 6 for him.

So........ we said shove it and took Stringer and Macrae.

He...........poor kid............get's drafted into the dead end cess pit called the Gold Coast suns. His whole glorious vision turns to pus.
    He's basically treading water..............and dreaming, still, of REAL football.

It's like ending up a Rodeo Clown in the KOO WEE RUP rodeo, when you should have been Clint Eastwood.

My belief is you take that kid........you put him in a proper team, put him on the big stage,
    with genuine leaders and authentic footy history and culture around him and he will shine.
    We have money....... He's a type we are lacking in........... He's a good age profile............... I would take the gamble.

He's no Richard Tambling, who was also highly rated but bombed...........he's hung around for 5 years, is approaching 100 games and is a nudge over 6 foot. I would be absolutely thrilled if we could get him and I'd be happy to pay (slightly) overs rather than penny pinch and miss out on him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    Ok. Here's my thoughts.
    I remember the lead up to that idiotic 'mini draft' that basically was another poorly thought out AFL 'initiative'.

Jack Martin was so, so, so hyped, He was driven, he was footy obsessed, he spent his whole life dreaming of playing footy. He drove himself with extra training and moved himself away from home to be in a better footy environment and follow his dream............and all the way he just kept impressing people on and off field. ( sound like anyone we know?????? Cough.....Bailey Smith.... cough) We were absolutely keen on him and would have taken him FOR SURE if we weren't asked for picks 5 AND 6 for him.

So........ we said shove it and took Stringer and Macrae.

He...........poor kid............get's drafted into the dead end cess pit called the Gold Coast suns. His whole glorious vision turns to pus.
    He's basically treading water..............and dreaming, still, of REAL football.

It's like ending up a Rodeo Clown in the KOO WEE RUP rodeo, when you should have been Clint Eastwood.

My belief is you take that kid........you put him in a proper team, put him on the big stage,
    with genuine leaders and authentic footy history and culture around him and he will shine.
    We have money....... He's a type we are lacking in........... He's a good age profile............... I would take the gamble.

He's no Richard Tambling, who was also highly rated but bombed...........he's hung around for 5 years, is approaching 100 games and is a nudge over 6 foot. I would be absolutely thrilled if we could get him and I'd be happy to pay (slightly) overs rather than penny pinch and miss out on him.
    I'm a sucker for a good footywire compare, so here's Martin and Tambling at the same age. Big difference is Tambling's disposal efficiency, versus Martin's higher total disposals for the season at same age compared:

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...&fid1=O&fid2=O

It should be noted that Richmond was essentially the same prospect as GCS in the time Tambling was drafted and playing there, he also had the added pressure of being taken ahead of players who ended up playing substantially better than he did early.

Anyway, it was too late for Tambling once he found his way to Adelaide. He still played 124 games which is nothing to sneeze at, but I can't help but think if he had have been in a better environment from an earlier stage in his career he would have blossomed more thoroughly. Hopefully the same fate doesn't befall Martin.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

10. Thanks Dancin' Douggy thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If it came down to a choice, would you choose Martin or Tippa?

Why?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Martin, there is just something about Tippa I don't think fits. I think he is a little one dimensional and in a good team could find himself struggling to hold his spot. I also think we have a few like him, whlist Martin can play forward, wing, probably even half back or through the middle.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Martin, there is just something about Tippa I don't think fits. I think he is a little one dimensional and in a good team could find himself struggling to hold his spot. I also think we have a few like him, whlist Martin can play forward, wing, probably even half back or through the middle.
    Who have we got like Tippa?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm still very keen on Martin but I now think we miss out. Carlton and Essendon going hard.
    He wanted to go to Essendon last year and Carlton suddenly have the Cogs money available.

I'd be willing to give Keath his four years and look at another quality smaller mobile type if we miss out on Martin.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I'm still very keen on Martin but I now think we miss out. Carlton and Essendon going hard.
    He wanted to go to Essendon last year and Carlton suddenly have the Cogs money available.

I'd be willing to give Keath his four years and look at another quality smaller mobile type if we miss out on Martin.
    This ^^

Keath is more the need at this stage. Would be good to get Martin, but I wouldn't be disappointed either.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post

I wouldn't be too spooked by Essendon & Carlton.

Essendon only have picks 29 & 31 so that won't get a deal done. They also have salary cap issues otherwise they would have signed up AMT by now.. They would have to trade out someone decent I would think. Daniher? Surely they wouldn't do that.

Carlton only have pick 8, then 39. They are very keen on Papley apparently and that would cost them pick 8 I would think.

I doubt future picks would be in the Suns interest either as they need to fix their problems sooner rather than later.

And for all this talk about everybody going to St Kilda well all they have is pick 5 (and Carlisle lol) which they will need for Brad Hill if he's interested in going there. Great list manager Lethlean!

We on the other hand have 5 excellent picks in the top 50 and lots of cap space coz "We Got the Power"! I'm not yet convinced we are going to be as trade active as everyone thinks. Bevo has said he wants to keep the group together and we are doing that especially if Dale & Williams stay on, and Dicko extends for another year. That will only leave us with 5 spots on the list & we have those 5 picks in the top 50 we can use in the draft if we wanted to. I think our strong finish to the season could well mean that our original intention to be major trade players could have subsided somewhat. Maybe we just do 1 trade. I would also expect to us to try and convert one or more of our 3rd rounders to future picks to help us with points for our NGA recruits. I guess we will soon see. But certainly the wholesale changes I thought might happen won't be happening.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

17. Likes Raw Toast, Twodogs, Smads57 liked this post