Thanks Thanks:  36
Likes Likes:  113
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Jack Martin

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jack Martin

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    Not in love with Martins stats, but also dont buy into the "he'll be better in a good team" narrative, he has hallmarks of being an A grade downhill skier. Having said that - I have extreme trust in our recruiting and list management team and am ok with a classy player as outside polish when we're going well.
    Sorry just to be clear what hallmarks are these? Downhill skiers don't get over 4 tackles a game. And how exactly does one ski downhill at gold coast??

2. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Jack is a football genius.

We should get him.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Do we know his personality and work rate outside of football ?
    Is he an all round good bloke ?
    Is he driven ?
    Is he a natural leader ?
    Apart from the football side of things I know nothing of these things with him and they are what are looked at when we are recruiting players.
    If what the media are saying is true I would say he has a lot of these attributes.
    Does anyone here have answers about him.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Jack is a football genius.

We should get him.
    In a straight up deal with GC do you think Martin is worth our first round pick?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    Not in love with Martins stats, but also dont buy into the "he'll be better in a good team" narrative, he has hallmarks of being an A grade downhill skier. Having said that - I have extreme trust in our recruiting and list management team and am ok with a classy player as outside polish when we're going well.
    I'm of the belief that players of the talent of Martin will get better at a stronger club.
    My only question of players we recruit is if they are coming for the right reasons and not just because of the money. Speculation that Carlton is his preffered destination but that we can pay more isn't great in my opinion. If he genuinely wants to play for us then we should go hard to make that happen

Post Thanks / Like

Jack showed great maturity, self sacrifice, courage and dedication as a young man pursuing his dream of being an AFL player.
    He may thrive in the position of being looked up to as a role model to the younger indigenous kids we are planning to add to our list.

Jack also is a definite point of difference to our playing group, he adds a dimension we are currently lacking.

I'd be thrilled to get him down to the kennel.

8. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Tom Browne reporting we are leading the race for Martin
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

10. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Tom Browne reporting we are leading the race for Martin
    And that leads to journos coming to conclusions like Dickson is a free agent and their could be a few clubs looking at him.
    COULD being the important word, in other words the journo has no idea and is making it up as click bate.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Does anyone here have answers about him.
    I can talk about him a bit - not from the past couple of years as I really haven't seen him much since 2015.

Do we know his personality and work rate outside of football ?
    Is he an all round good bloke ?
    Is he driven ?
    Is he a natural leader ?
    He is a very hard worker. He is well liked by his team-mates and has an 'old head' on his shoulders. He wouldn't like the losing too much and is a very prideful person. He is THE great, unrealised talent in the AFL today (with Callum Ah Chee not far behind him - but Jack is better than Cal).

We are talking about a genuine, first overall pick in the draft type talent. The other 3x pre-draft selections (two awarded the Giants, two awarded the Suns) were Crouch (Brad version), Jaeger O'Meara and Jesse Hogan. (Yes, 3x West Australians who ALL missed the National Champs in their 18th year). Pretty comfortable in saying Jack was more highly regarded that the other 3. He can seriously play. His idea of fun is salmon fishing off Broome - not 3am in a dodgey Gold Coast night club. He would be a great get and if the club pulls it off we will all sit back and thank the lord above they did.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

And that leads to journos coming to conclusions like Dickson is a free agent and their could be a few clubs looking at him.
    COULD being the important word, in other words the journo has no idea and is making it up as click bate.
    Yes mainly I agree, but with a little asterisk. Their guess might be we land Martin & Bruce. So that opens up a squeeze on Dickson out of the club and he may want to keep playing but elsewhere. What level is their guess work, I don’t know, but Dickson chatter seems like a domino effect of bringing in two more forward. If we get them and another club offers him 2 years, good for Dicko.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Raw Toast View Post
    Agreed.

For me the pressure is a vital building block. Then it becomes a matter of the quality of his disposal and decision-making more generally. While this team might be different to 2016, both sides win when they swarm the opposition with so much pressure that they start missing the simplest of disposals because they're *%$ing themselves. So it sounds like Martin could fit right in.

If we pay that amount and get him, then we're investing in someone who has talent and work-rate, but who's been in a shit system. I like those odds. I'm also pretty happy with the likes of Crozier and Durea (and even Trengove though he can drive me crazy), so happy to back us in.

Plus he'll hopefully be someone that we can build a broader culture around, who can (among many other things), help mentor the other Indigenous players that we'll be recruiting.
    I can talk about him a bit - not from the past couple of years as I really haven't seen him much since 2015.

He is a very hard worker. He is well liked by his team-mates and has an 'old head' on his shoulders. He wouldn't like the losing too much and is a very prideful person. He is THE great, unrealised talent in the AFL today (with Callum Ah Chee not far behind him - but Jack is better than Cal).

We are talking about a genuine, first overall pick in the draft type talent. The other 3x pre-draft selections (two awarded the Giants, two awarded the Suns) were Crouch (Brad version), Jaeger O'Meara and Jesse Hogan. (Yes, 3x West Australians who ALL missed the National Champs in their 18th year). Pretty comfortable in saying Jack was more highly regarded that the other 3. He can seriously play. His idea of fun is salmon fishing off Broome - not 3am in a dodgey Gold Coast night club. He would be a great get and if the club pulls it off we will all sit back and thank the lord above they did.
    Well I'm sold now.

15. Likes KT31 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He is THE great, unrealised talent in the AFL today (with Callum Ah Chee not far behind him - but Jack is better than Cal).
    Hey MJP, I asked for your thoughts last week on Ah Chee in another thread - you may have missed it. Could he fill a small forward role for us?

Post Thanks / Like

Lets get him now. We need to impress him and as GVGjr says, not just with money, but the overall culture and environment of the Whitten Oval. Nail this one Sam.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope I'm speaking for a the vast majority of our WOOF members is saying how privileged we are to have contributors like your good self (and quite a few others) providing us with first hand knowledge of the quality of players we have been discussing

Many thanks MJP, you add so much value to the discussions here.

Post Thanks / Like

Christ, now I'm excited. Let's do a whip around and get some off the books cash to make Jack a Bulldog!
    Surely Sheridan homes could accidently build him a house?