Thanks Thanks:  36
Likes Likes:  113
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Jack Martin

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jack Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    And no Marvel? (unless Bombers)
    Carlton and Essendon still play their big games at the G.
    The curse is dead.

2. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Bigger club, bigger games on the G, other indigenous teammates, etc

We are just like North sadly.
    Carlton don't have a genuine home base normally splitting the home games between each of Marvel and MCG
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy'sLore View Post
    If the issue with trading star players in is our perceived lack of 'bigness' then I struggle to see how that can change. The AFL's joke fixturing ensures that the 'big' clubs will continue to be awarded blockbuster games and big crowds, which enables them to attract star players, they become more successful, therefore 'deserve' more blockbusters (eg Good Friday) and the cycle continues.

It becomes a self fulfilling prophecy and we are powerless to change it.
    it doesn't help when we are committed to playing two games a year in cold, wet and windy Ballarat in front of a couple of farmers. I know it is good for the bottom line but I also know that prospective players couldn't think of anything worse.

5. Thanks Rocco Jones thanked for this post
    Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mitcha View Post
    it doesn't help when we are committed to playing two games a year in cold, wet and windy Ballarat in front of a couple of farmers. I know it is good for the bottom line but I also know that prospective players couldn't think of anything worse.
    More precious little sooks
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

So in the case of Martin are we just going to ignore he reportedly wants to play with Cripps because he knows them, and Jones and Petrevski Seaton as they're indigenous lads? Or are we going to continue the self-flagellation?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

8. Likes KT31 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Surely its more to do with the "after football" life landing a job at Visy and all that stuff, the whole "bigger club" and "bigger match days stuff" is bollocks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Carlton don't have a genuine home base normally splitting the home games between each of Marvel and MCG
    Yeah, they play their big games at the G.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mitcha View Post
    Do you really think players get down to that level of where the games are played etc in their decision making?
    You might be right but playing games in Tasmania didn't impact the Hawks with landing O'Meara, Mitchell and Wingard

It also hasn't stopped us re-signing players like Naughton and Richards. And as for Carlton being a big club they are hardly a Real Madrid, PSG or Man United.

I get we might have a bit more of a challenge with some players but the positives to me might be that playing a couple of games at Ballarat might help us sort out the players with the right attitude

To me it's a bit of a factor but not a genuine excuses for players

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    More precious little sooks
    Do you recall anyone pulling out from attending a game at Ballarat because of the weather conditions and the timing of the game?

We shouldn't be too critical of the players if that is a genuine factor in their decision

Post Thanks / Like

Do you recall anyone pulling out from attending a game at Ballarat because of the weather conditions and the timing of the game?

We shouldn't be too critical of the players if that is a genuine factor in their decision
    I haven't been back GVG.

14. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you really think players get down to that level of where the games are played etc in their decision making?
    You might be right but playing games in Tasmania didn't impact the Hawks with landing O'Meara, Mitchell and Wingard

It also hasn't stopped us re-signing players like Naughton and Richards. And as for Carlton being a big club they are hardly a Real Madrid, PSG or Man United.

I get we might have a bit more of a challenge with some players but the positives to me might be that playing a couple of games at Ballarat might help us sort out the players with the right attitude

To me it's a bit of a factor but not a genuine excuses for players
    Yep - you can imagine the bollocks those bigger clubs would chat about how hard the Marvel surface is, how small the crowds are etc to players weighing us up against them.

We need to draft genius
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    I haven't been back GVG.
    But your not calling players sooks either

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    So in the case of Martin are we just going to ignore he reportedly wants to play with Cripps because he knows them, and Jones and Petrevski Seaton as they're indigenous lads?
    The lack of indigenous players would 100% be an issue.

The thing with Cripps? I'm not saying that isn't a thing, but apart from playing state schoolboys together as 15 year olds, they wouldn't be super close. Cripps didn't make the 16's or the 18's as a 17yo. Martin played 16's and 18's as a bottom-ager - then was a pre-draft selection...so even though they are the same age by the time Cripps played 18's Martin had already been drafted.

Cripps is from North Hampton. Martin is from Broome.

Cripps is from East Fremantle. Martin is from Claremont.

Look - they would 'know' each other but a story suggesting they are long lost best buds? Yeah - nah.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

18. Thanks bulldogtragic, chef, jeemak, Grantysghost, Topdog thanked for this post
    Likes Raw Toast, Smads57, strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

But your not calling players sooks either
    I doubt any player would balk at playing in Ballarat or any other part of the country for the odd game and use it as an excuse, if they did then they would be sooks.

Supporters, fine we don't have to go to a venue we don't like. I don't go to Geelong for many reasons.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Supporters, fine we don't have to go to a venue we don't like. I don't go to Geelong for many reasons.
    For much the same reason that you don't (I assume) drink straight from the toilet bowl.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite