Thanks Thanks:  36
Likes Likes:  113
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Jack Martin

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jack Martin

I can't say the rationale is wrong, especially with Bevo wanting to keep the group together. My issue with the concept is that we should trade for needs and we have the money and trade currency to trade for 3 needs. The stars are aligning for us to do it this year. That extra talent and growth in incoming trades helps raise our talent profile in stead of solely relying on maturing players. With lots more kids next year at the draft, and being the youngest team often this year I think the year is right to pick up mature talent heading into next year.

I think the five outs are reasonably set. Which would only allow us two trades. Or we look at Dicko (unsigned) or someone requests a trade out for more opportunities and we oblige. But for me one extra player leaving, shouldn't upset the team to give us the option of looking at 3. As you say we will see what happens if and when players start saying 'yes' to Sam Power. That's a big first step.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone think our chances of landing Martin have slipped back a bit? The media speculation is Carlton and Essendon firming as likely destinations. I'm not sure we are out of it though
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Does anyone think our chances of landing Martin have slipped back a bit? The media speculation is Carlton and Essendon firming as likely destinations. I'm not sure we are out of it though
    Yes, reading the tea leaves it does appear that way. Generally you will see some link in reports. If that's the case, we need to keep working on our indigenous program as a high priority. Brett Goodes leaving as well was a blow and I know was devastating to at least one future players family. I'm sure there's high quality people out there to fill his shoes. I think we are heading in the right direction, albeit maybe a bit late to satisfy Martin?
    By the way do Essendon have bottomless cap space?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It depends of the years, money and the role we have put forward him. I assume that hasn't changed and our pursuit hasn't slowed. The media pumping up 'big' (cheating, shit) clubs is nothing new.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Yes, reading the tea leaves it does appear that way. Generally you will see some link in reports. If that's the case, we need to keep working on our indigenous program as a high priority. Brett Goodes leaving as well was a blow and I know was devastating to at least one future players family. I'm sure there's high quality people out there to fill his shoes. I think we are heading in the right direction, albeit maybe a bit late to satisfy Martin?
    No. They just don't have a salary cap.

6. Likes The bulldog tragician liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    No. They just don't have a salary cap.
    Someone needs to do a forensic audit (hint ), with the big name money we know of (I think even Hooker gets 800k) they must be close.
    Fortunately it's not helping them.

Post Thanks / Like

Someone needs to do a forensic audit (hint ), with the big name money we know of (I think even Hooker gets 800k) they must be close.
    Did stringer get a decent contract ?
    I would presume it wasn’t big as no one else was interested in him, and if they were at the start he turned them away with his behaviour.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Did stringer get a decent contract ?
    I would presume it wasn’t big as no one else was interested in him, and if they were at the start he turned them away with his behaviour.
    The reports at the time were about 550k x 3.

Post Thanks / Like

I've long advocated the ATO need to get involved. But I'm still waiting.

Post Thanks / Like

I am behind the times as I wasn't aware of that. When did he leave?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I've long advocated the ATO need to get involved. But I'm still waiting.
    In all seriousness that will happen. The Essendon TPP situation is a long way short of being over. The cowbows at AFL City Hall and the cheats at Essendon think they have outsmarted everyone and perhaps if this was only overseen by the AFL it would be. But the ATO will come calling soon and want to inspect their books and that is when the shit will really hit the fan.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    I am behind the times as I wasn't aware of that. When did he leave?
    I heard about it a few weeks ago, I wasn't sure if the club were going to mention it so kept schtum. We are on the look out for a replacement there's a job advertised. Should be some quality candidates, but I wonder how it affects landing guys like Martin.

14. Thanks Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Curious that Goodes' departure coincides with the club making it plain it's keen to attract and foster indigenous talent both on and off the field.

If nothing else it makes the Betts conversation a little juicier.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Should be some quality candidates, but I wonder how it affects landing guys like Martin.
    There will be some good candidates, but none of this is an exact science in terms of mentorship/support structures for the aboriginal boys. Some won't care about the background of the person in the role. Others will want (and expect) them to be indigenous. Others will want and expect them to be indigenous BUT will only go to them for advice if the person is part of 'their' people.

So, we might get the best and most well qualified candidate in the world...and it still might not be enough. This stuff is tricky!!
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

17. Thanks Rocket Science, Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He reminds me a bit of Shaun Higgins when he was with us. Always 'looked' a player but never managed to string enough consistent footy together to cement himself as a really good player.

I like Martin and think he'd play well as a genuine winger but it's a lot of money for a bloke with pretty mediocre numbers. If we get him, I'll be happy, if we miss I think there's a lot of other good fish in the sea.