Thanks Thanks:  36
Likes Likes:  113
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Jack Martin

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jack Martin

Think he wants to go to Essendon first Carlton next. Essendon have a fantastic history with Indigenous players, they were the first club to really procure Aboriginal players from South Australia and the Territory and Islands. They invested hard in these States in the 80s now you'll find an overwhelming proportion of Aboriginal people support Essendon (Long) , St Kilda (Winmar) or, the older ones, (Richmond) M Rioli. If Essendon are involved in Martin I'd almost guarantee that he finds his way there.

Our proposed Indigenous program is great, but it's 20 years too late. Better late than never I suppose but it will be a long time before we become a destination club for Indigebous people. Playing the Cairns and NT games helped as larger-scale Indigenous populations had an opportunity to see us live. We were also doing clinics outside Darwin within Indigenous communities, but for one economic reason or another we stopped playing there, so we dropped the bundle of extending our brand across these communities. It's a shame because one thing that connects Indigenous populations from W.A to Tassie to the islands to non-traditional AFL States like Queensland is that every Aboriginal kid knows how to play AFL footy. It's kinda like when I went to India in the late 90s and played street cricket in India, every Indian kid could bat and bowl. A far higher proportion of Aboriginal people live AFL as opposed to what we see outside Aboriginal populations, and that resource is under utilised.

A lot of work is needed with this Indigenous program. Hope the club invests in it properly, it could rake in great reward.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

2. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Think he wants to go to Essendon first Carlton next. Essendon have a fantastic history with Indigenous players, they were the first club to really procure Aboriginal players from South Australia and the Territory and Islands. They invested hard in these States in the 80s now you'll find an overwhelming proportion of Aboriginal people support Essendon (Long) , St Kilda (Winmar) or, the older ones, (Richmond) M Rioli. If Essendon are involved in Martin I'd almost guarantee that he finds his way there.

Our proposed Indigenous program is great, but it's 20 years too late. Better late than never I suppose but it will be a long time before we become a destination club for Indigebous people. Playing the Cairns and NT games helped as larger-scale Indigenous populations had an opportunity to see us live. We were also doing clinics outside Darwin within Indigenous communities, but for one economic reason or another we stopped playing there, so we dropped the bundle of extending our brand across these communities. It's a shame because one thing that connects Indigenous populations from W.A to Tassie to the islands to non-traditional AFL States like Queensland is that every Aboriginal kid knows how to play AFL footy. It's kinda like when I went to India in the late 90s and played street cricket in India, every Indian kid could bat and bowl. A far higher proportion of Aboriginal people live AFL as opposed to what we see outside Aboriginal populations, and that resource is under utilised.

A lot of work is needed with this Indigenous program. Hope the club invests in it properly, it could rake in great reward.
    It’s kind of chicken and the egg isn’t it? You need a good program to help attract the playing talent, but you need playing talent to bolster the program.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess being injected with unknown substances that may or may not affect your children, and we just can't say what it is (Ryder) doesn't affect a solid indigenous program. That's tongue in cheek but I do feel the planets have to align for us to land an in demand player which is becoming a little deflating! Maybe our strategy remains what we know, drafting and developing amazing talent and filling for need with surplus from other teams (Lloyd, Duryea).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I guess being injected with unknown substances that may or may not affect your children, and we just can't say what it is (Ryder) doesn't affect a solid indigenous program. That's tongue in cheek but I do feel the planets have to align for us to land an in demand player which is becoming a little deflating! Maybe our strategy remains what we know, drafting and developing amazing talent and filling for need with surplus from other teams (Lloyd, Duryea).
    Moneyball !! It was on fox last night actually got stuck watching it again.
    Bring back the biff

6. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Moneyball !! It was on fox last night actually got stuck watching it again.
    Butler from the Tigers kicked 4 in the VFL final yesterday. Lloyd mk II

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Does anyone think our chances of landing Martin have slipped back a bit? The media speculation is Carlton and Essendon firming as likely destinations. I'm not sure we are out of it though
    Yep, I'd say Carlton are leading the pack (especially with Betts going there).
    Essendon will free up a little cash with Laverde beind traded out but I doubt they can meet the full $600k demand especially with having a couple of players 'bid up' recently.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.ejwhittenfoundation.com....s/tiwi-island/

We had a presence in the Tiwi Islands long before Essendon or St Kilsa or amy other club. Ted Whitten went to the Tiwi Islands for the grand final every year for 20 odd years. Long before any VFL player/personality even knew that played footy north of Alice Springs EJ was heading up there. He started going in the late '60s and now Ted Jr has continued on his work up there. There used to be heaps of indigenous who followed Footscray, I wonder what happened to them all?
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

10. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post

We had a presence in the Tiwi Islands long before Essendon or St Kilsa or amy other club. Ted Whitten went to the Tiwi Islands for the grand final every year for 20 odd years. Long before any VFL player/personality even knew that played footy north of Alice Springs EJ was heading up there. He started going in the late '60s and now Ted Jr has continued on his work up there. There used to be heaps of indigenous who followed Footscray, I wonder what happened to them all?
    Thanks for posting that Td. Been thinking of posting about Ted going to the Tiwis but you beat me to it. He was hugely popular up there. Mr. Football of course. Wasn't aware that junior was going there now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post

Thanks TD I forgot he did this. What Indigenous players did we have playing when Ted was up there?
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks TD I forgot he did this. What Indigenous players did we have playing when Ted was up there?
    Michael McLean was the only kid from the NT that I can remember. Les Bamblett came from Lemnos. We had a lot of support up there when I went up there.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

The curse is dead.

15. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Likes bulldogtragic, strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So 50/50 chance to land Martin if true. I hope we can impress him. A deadly quiet Princess Park or a buzzing Whitten Oval should tell him a fair bit about where he should go. We have the appropriate pick already for GCS, and apparently will offer a little more money. Carlton busy on Papley. Here's hoping we get a early 'yes'.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

17. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We don't have the history of developing (and supporting) Indigenous players well recently*, however given our investment in a new Indigenous Program, I'm hoping that Martin (and AMT) can be a combination of our Chance Bateman (who helped transform an awful/racist culture at Hawthorn) and Shaun Burgoyne (who remains my favourite non-Dogs player).

*You could make an argument about Hamling, but while he came on in leaps and bounds for us, he wasn't around that long. And I'm not trying to say that our culture is similar to what Hawthorn had, but nevertheless, it would be fantastic if we could become a destination club for Indigenous players (which they currently are, among other things).
    Although it broke our hearts it did not break our will

19. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Raw Toast View Post
    We don't have the history of developing (and supporting) Indigenous players well recently*, however given our investment in a new Indigenous Program, I'm hoping that Martin (and AMT) can be a combination of our Chance Bateman (who helped transform an awful/racist culture at Hawthorn) and Shaun Burgoyne (who remains my favourite non-Dogs player).

*You could make an argument about Hamling, but while he came on in leaps and bounds for us, he wasn't around that long. And I'm not trying to say that our culture is similar to what Hawthorn had, but nevertheless, it would be fantastic if we could become a destination club for Indigenous players (which they currently are, among other things).
    Somewhat related - I just read your book on the Winmar picture (and more broadly the AFL's historical treatment of Indigenous players) and thought it was absolutely brilliant.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

21. Thanks Raw Toast thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So I’ve just read the Martin and Carlton trade stuff. So they’re all in on Papley, and apparently on Betts. And not willing to overpay on Martin. If they land Papley & Betts, it seems overkill to tie up more draft currency and salary cap in Martin. It feels like an extra chunk of cash might force Carlton to ‘fold’. It might be a bit more than ideal, but if that seals the deal and we believe in him 100%, I’d be happy enough with $1.7M+ total available cap to use money to force the trade. Let Sydney, Carlton & Dodoro work on a quick and fair three way trade while everyone else gets shit done.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

23. Likes Raw Toast liked this post