Thanks Thanks:  25
Likes Likes:  36
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Dale Morris retires

Sad day but the correct decision.

Morris announces retirement
    Aug 30, 2019 11:00AM

After 15 years at the highest level, the 36-year-old premiership player and All-Australian has made the decision to retire after 253 games. - Western Bulldogs
    After 15 years at the highest level, the 36-year-old premiership player and All-Australian has made the decision to retire after 253 games.
    The storied career of one of the most revered players in Western Bulldogs history, Dale Morris, has come to an end.

After 15 years at the highest level, the 36-year-old premiership player and All-Australian has made the decision to retire after 253 games.

Morris leaves the game as one of the most respected footballers of the modern era; a shining example of perseverance, willpower, skill, determination and sacrifice.

He has become a fine ambassador for the Western Bulldogs and the game of AFL, a remarkably reliable team-mate, and a wonderful role model for the next generation of players and fans.

“Everyone who knows me knows that if I could play footy forever, I would. I just love the game so much,” Morris said.

“But unfortunately that’s not possible for any footballer, and although it was a tough decision for me to make, the time has come for me to finish my playing career.

“Since injuring my knee I’ve had some time to reflect with my wife Gem, my boys Riley and Charlie, my family and friends, and those closest to me at the Club. I’m at peace with the decision to retire and I’m looking forward to what life after playing will bring.

“Going through this process has allowed me to reflect on my career, and how grateful I am to have had the incredible support of so many people at this great club – the coaches, support staff, medical and rehab staff, my wonderful team-mates, and of course, our amazing fans.

“It has truly been an honour to represent the Western Bulldogs for the last 15 years. I’ll take so many treasured memories with me.”

A refusal to give up on his AFL dream ultimately allowed Morris to play the game he loves for so long.

He spent four years of toiling in the VFL with Werribee before he was finally given a chance on the Bulldogs’ rookie list at the end of 2004. He went at pick 19 in that year’s Rookie Draft.

Morris made his debut in Round 5 in 2005 and barely missed a game in his first nine seasons.

Later in his career, injuries took their toll. A broken back, leg and arm, and two ACL injuries threatened to prematurely end his career, but every time he willed himself to return to the field.

A third ACL injury in Round 19 this season was to be his final act in the red, white and blue.

“Dale is one of the most resilient and positive characters I’ve met in football, who has been an exceptional footballer for such a long period of time,” said Bulldogs’ coach Luke Beveridge.

“Everything Dale does has a selfless edge. He always wants to make people around him better, and that’s a tremendous quality in such a competitive and demanding sport.

“He is loved and admired by everyone at the Western Bulldogs for his incredible deeds on the football field and for the way he carries himself in everyday life.

“Dale has made the Western Bulldogs a better place over the last 15 years, and his legacy will live on forever.”

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dale Morris retires

There goes my hero, watch him as he goes. There goes my hero, he's ordinary.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

#DoItForDale
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Farewell. Expected but still sad news.

I'd love to find a way to keep him at the club next year in an off field role.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Don't be upset that his leaving
    Celebrate all his done for us
    We will always be a better place for everything Morris has done for the club

Enjoy retirement mate, you have, 150% deserved it. Look forward to seeing you coach our backline for years to come
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

6. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Retired: never beaten.
    Last edited by Grantysghost; 30-08-2019 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Typo

Post Thanks / Like

One of my all time favourites & an absolute all time Bulldogs legend.

The tackle on Buddy will go down as one of the greatest moments in our history.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Great player, great person. Thanks for everything Dale. I hope to see you continue with the Club is a coaching/mentoring role in the future.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

10. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Dale Morris. Legend.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

Time to commission the bronze statue...

Post Thanks / Like

Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Was there for his first game. What an absolute pleasure to see him play his footy. One of my favourite ever players to pull on the red, white and blue. In a fierce contest there is no other player I have trusted more to get his job done.

Gave everything he had every single week. Squeezed every last inch out of his God given talent. Will never forget his overall contribution to the club and his tackle on Buddy in the GF will be a vivid memory until I die.

Thanks Moz.

Post Thanks / Like

IMMORTAL.

BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for every effort, block, kick mark, handball and tackle Dale. But thanks especially for that tackle at about 5 o clock on 1/10/16. It might just be the most glorious thing I have ever seen on a football field. Or anywhere.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

17. Likes westbulldog, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for everything Dale. A true legend and Bullgod.
    The curse is dead.