Sad day but the correct decision.

Morris announces retirement
Aug 30, 2019 11:00AM

After 15 years at the highest level, the 36-year-old premiership player and All-Australian has made the decision to retire after 253 games. - Western Bulldogs
After 15 years at the highest level, the 36-year-old premiership player and All-Australian has made the decision to retire after 253 games.
The storied career of one of the most revered players in Western Bulldogs history, Dale Morris, has come to an end.

After 15 years at the highest level, the 36-year-old premiership player and All-Australian has made the decision to retire after 253 games.

Morris leaves the game as one of the most respected footballers of the modern era; a shining example of perseverance, willpower, skill, determination and sacrifice.

He has become a fine ambassador for the Western Bulldogs and the game of AFL, a remarkably reliable team-mate, and a wonderful role model for the next generation of players and fans.

“Everyone who knows me knows that if I could play footy forever, I would. I just love the game so much,” Morris said.

“But unfortunately that’s not possible for any footballer, and although it was a tough decision for me to make, the time has come for me to finish my playing career.

“Since injuring my knee I’ve had some time to reflect with my wife Gem, my boys Riley and Charlie, my family and friends, and those closest to me at the Club. I’m at peace with the decision to retire and I’m looking forward to what life after playing will bring.

“Going through this process has allowed me to reflect on my career, and how grateful I am to have had the incredible support of so many people at this great club – the coaches, support staff, medical and rehab staff, my wonderful team-mates, and of course, our amazing fans.

“It has truly been an honour to represent the Western Bulldogs for the last 15 years. I’ll take so many treasured memories with me.”

A refusal to give up on his AFL dream ultimately allowed Morris to play the game he loves for so long.

He spent four years of toiling in the VFL with Werribee before he was finally given a chance on the Bulldogs’ rookie list at the end of 2004. He went at pick 19 in that year’s Rookie Draft.

Morris made his debut in Round 5 in 2005 and barely missed a game in his first nine seasons.

Later in his career, injuries took their toll. A broken back, leg and arm, and two ACL injuries threatened to prematurely end his career, but every time he willed himself to return to the field.

A third ACL injury in Round 19 this season was to be his final act in the red, white and blue.

“Dale is one of the most resilient and positive characters I’ve met in football, who has been an exceptional footballer for such a long period of time,” said Bulldogs’ coach Luke Beveridge.

“Everything Dale does has a selfless edge. He always wants to make people around him better, and that’s a tremendous quality in such a competitive and demanding sport.

“He is loved and admired by everyone at the Western Bulldogs for his incredible deeds on the football field and for the way he carries himself in everyday life.

“Dale has made the Western Bulldogs a better place over the last 15 years, and his legacy will live on forever.”