Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  31
    Post Thanks / Like

Dale was part of MY team (the LAST PART)

So. I grew up (and still live) in Perth.

The year I turned 14 (which was in the mid-80's) I spent a week with my junior team sleeping in the rooms at the FFC. I have told this story over and again. From that point forward I supported the Bulldogs in two states - I added Footscray to my love of the Red and White's over here.

I didn't really understand the significance of the '85 season and the prelim loss (though I watched on TV and supported the team) and certainly didn't 'get' the reality of 'FIGHTBACK' in '89. I lived through the Brownless goal and the 97/98 tragedies from a long way away. To quote the famous saying about bacon and eggs, the chicken is interested, the pig is committed. I guess I was 'interested'.

In 2004 that changed. In 2004 I moved to Melbourne and the team that took the field over the next few years was - and will always be - MY team. Boyd coming off the rookie list, Lindsay Gilbee, Johnno, Scott West, Brian, Bob, Gia, Mitch Hahn. Even Aker! I watched them live pretty much every week - and those I didn't watch live we always seemed to gather as a group of supporters to watch together. And part of that group - part of 'MY TEAM' - was Dale Morris.

I remember his debut, I can still feel the nerves in my gut when he ran out to play on Macleod in his first game (what was the coach thinking - he's a first gamer from the rookie list against the best player in the game) and I remember those first couple of seasons where he clearly didn't have his 'kicking license' and handballed 99/100 times he touched the footy.

I don't know how everyone else feels but for me today truly does feel like the end of an era - the end of 'MY BULLDOGS', the glorious run and gun excitement of the early Eade days where Lindsay Gilbee kicked pinpoint 65m drop punts, Jordie McMahon bounced the ball straight down the corridor, Brad Johnson kicked bags of 8 at full-forward and Dale Morris played on the poor bloke in the opposition forward line who didn't get to touch the ball, let alone kick a goal. 'MY TEAM' never won it all (though they got bloody close) and but for a bit of luck...

I'm sure there will be some glowing tributes to Dale - he certainly deserves every one. For me, he will always be part of my team who dominated the opposition at 'Telstra Dome' during my time living in Melbourne.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dale was part of MY team (the LAST PART)

Thanks for sharing.

It's exciting to see a player in his first game and then become a legend with over 250 games and knowing you have watched him right through.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess what I love the most is how selfless Dale is
    He’d be an unbelievable bloke to coach

Post Thanks / Like

A story about Dale, from last year.

http://www.bulldogtragician.com/the-...me-still-burns

Some had more talent, none were as brave. THAT tackle will never ever be forgotten.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

5. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My mind went to the exact same place.

It was that team in 2005 that got me invested in football again. All the way through the one constant til now has been Dale and with his retirement they've finally all left.

Post Thanks / Like

That mid naughties period was my mid 20s and my first real crack at life with disposable income, and footy at Docklands and pre game beers on Bourke St were a key feature....and we were generally good to watch under Rocket.

When I think back to this era, I still remember...

* the M Boyd goal at 3 quarter time against Richmond when we were wearing the then heritage strip.
    * Gilbee having 6 bounces from the kick in and finding someone in F 50.
    * Johnno's 300th and his goal in the goal square landing on his back
    * me selling People's Beards scarfes on the concourse like a dodgy geezer (pre-paid, but I was still kinda nervous cops would ask questions)

and, Moz's debut (which was Turtle's 300th yeah?)

They should probably call Marvel Stadium after Dale - he featured that heavily in key moments of its infancy.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

As a resident in Tasmania, I was infrequently at the football and every game I attended from 2001-2004 was not a victory.

On that April evening in 2005, I was stricken with a heavy cold, but had Medallion Club seats for Chris Grants 300th game and was not going to miss that game.

What a memorable game and the first victory I had witnessed life since the immortal defeat of Essendon in round 21 2000.

Dale Morris first game and given a big task.

Luke Darcy as a dominant full forward in the second half as Will Minson showed he could perform in the ruck.

A fantastic game to be at.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

9. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

2008-2010 reignited my love for the game again. I moved back to Melbourne a few years earlier and my Bulldogs connection re-grew, in part from contact with a few junior players at the time ("we need a new coach" from a now wife of one player).

Dale retiring may also be the 'end of an era' as the last tangible connection to Chris Grant, considering Dale debuted in Granty's 300th.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    As a resident in Tasmania, I was infrequently at the football and every game I attended from 2001-2004 was not a victory.

On that April evening in 2005, I was stricken with a heavy cold, but had Medallion Club seats for Chris Grants 300th game and was not going to miss that game.

What a memorable game and the first victory I had witnessed life since the immortal defeat of Essendon in round 21 2000.

Dale Morris first game and given a big task.

Luke Darcy as a dominant full forward in the second half as Will Minson showed he could perform in the ruck.

A fantastic game to be at.
    Then it all fell apart the next week when Darcy did his knee

Took (to date) the only hangover sickie I’ve ever taken that Monday
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Think Dale's retirement now has me older than all our listed players.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been too down to look at the Dale thread.

I was completely in love and heartbroken by the mid to late 90's Bulldogs sides as a mid to late teenager. The likes of Morris, and the rest of his team mates under Rocket taught me how to love again in my mid-twenties. It's funny how love matures, as you get older you become more pragmatic towards it, but no less passionate.

The teams since have all had Morris as a key feature. I mentioned at work today how sad I was that he was retiring, a colleague who's pretty good at being a smartarse asked who he was. I almost bit!

Good post MJP.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

14. Likes N/A, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    After that comment I went and checked, me too.

That’s depressing!
    Wake me up when we get to heaven, let me sleep if we're going to hell

Good luck, for your sake I hope heaven and hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath

And we all found heaven - 2016 Premiers!

Post Thanks / Like

That means you're probably old enough to be the youngest listed players dad.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daughter of the West View Post
    After that comment I went and checked, me too.

That’s depressing!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doggy View Post
    That means you're probably old enough to be the youngest listed players dad.
    I've told this story before but here goes, I will tell it again.

Back when Callan Ward was drafted I saw him get interviewed on TV. There was a middle aged woman standing behind him and I am thinking "where do I know her from?" A couple of weeks later I was talking to an old school friend and the topic of Callan Ward came up so I asked him if he knew who that woman was. He said "Mate, that is Ramon Gunn's annoying little sister. You remember the one that followed us everywhere when we were kids who wanting to play footy with us all the time"

How old did I feel? Not older than the player but older than his mum!!!!
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

18. Likes Doggy, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the story mjp. I didn’t go to many games back when Dale started but I was a certainly tuning in each week either by TV or radio following the Dogs. Was really just a supporter back then in my teenage years and only became a member from 2013 onwards.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"