Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  21
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bugger it, don't trade Pick 1

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Surely it depends who we think we can get.

Would you trade Naughton or Bailey Smith? Both drafted on the past 2 years and already a big pat of our team. By trading our first pick we’re trading the chance to get another one of those guys.
    Both were top 10 picks. Our first will end up being pushed back a few with priority academy picks, around the pick 14 mark potentially. That puts us in Christian Howard/Andrejs Everitt territory.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

bump!

in light of the Martin news I hope we keep our 1st pick unless a genuine A grader with most of their career still in front of them wants to join us. So many good kids that would fit the bill for us will be available at that pick.
    Never hate your enemies. It affects your judgment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    bump!

in light of the Martin news I hope we keep our 1st pick unless a genuine A grader with most of their career still in front of them wants to join us. So many good kids that would fit the bill for us will be available at that pick.
    I agree and said so in the OP, first round pick for A grader or go to draft. That is it. Keath and Bruce are not worth our first rounder.
    Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I agree and said so in the OP, first round pick for A grader or go to draft. That is it. Keath and Bruce are not worth our first rounder.
    What if we can turn our first into both?
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    bump!

We need to bring in some ready made players IMO. I'm in the camp of moving on our 1st just as long as we're not desperate and taking potshots at Peter Street, Stephen Koops types. By all means if nothing is there take the pick but if we can use it to land a pretty big catch then trade it away.

With all the noise around our club in regards to out of contract players I'm starting to worry if we're being used as the leverage to up players contracts at their current club.

6. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    What if we can turn our first into both?
    Two for one, maybe a bit different.
    Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

8. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Watching a few replays today, the odd quarter here and there and I thought you know what, we have done very well with pick one over the past few years:

2018 - Bailey Smith
    2017 - Aaron Naughton
    2016 - Tim English
    2015 - Josh Dunkley (round 2)
    2014 - Toby Mclean (round 2 )
    2013 - The Bont
    2012 - Stringer (oh well), but we had the next pick - Jack Macrae

I am against trading pick 1 unless we picked up a Nat Fyfe type.

Lets keep pick 1.
    We traded pick one in both the mclean and Dunkley drafts. Worked out ok

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    We traded pick one in both the mclean and Dunkley drafts. Worked out ok
    It will if you back your drafters in to get really good role players like Maclean with second or third round picks. If you get out and out superstars like Dunkley with second round picks then you are cooking with gas.

I like to look at the players from the point of view of what we would have traded them to get them into the club. Dunkley single digit draft choice or feel free to catch the next train at West Footscray station. Maclean a later first rounder-both are premiership players and neither were passengers.
    WOOF NUMBER 6

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    It will if you back your drafters in to get really good role players like Maclean with second or third round picks. If you get out and out superstars like Dunkley with second round picks then you are cooking with gas.

I like to look at the players from the point of view of what we would have traded them to get them into the club. Dunkley single digit draft choice or feel free to catch the next train at West Footscray station. Maclean a later first rounder-both are premiership players and neither were passengers.
    100% with hindsight. Both those years we traded out our first pick and it worked for us for the most part. The Dunkley year we took dunks and Collins and the blues got Charlie Curnow. Worked out well for both parties in the end - better if Collins had turned into the key back we all hoped.

Post Thanks / Like

Surely it all comes down to what we are offered we still have needs to win a flag so if we were offered a speed goal sneak I would use our first pick. Keith goes a long way to shore up our backline but we need to replace Picken if that means our first pick for a Jamie Elliott type I'm fine with that.
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by strebla View Post
    Surely it all comes down to what we are offered we still have needs to win a flag so if we were offered a speed goal sneak I would use our first pick. Keith goes a long way to shore up our backline but we need to replace Picken if that means our first pick for a Jamie Elliott type I'm fine with that.
    Talking about Elliot he is yet to sign with Collingwood and Melbourne are keen.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Talking about Elliot he is yet to sign with Collingwood and Melbourne are keen.
    Saw that rumour today - would love a fit Elliot running around in red white and blue. I saw - unfounded FB rumour - that he isnít happy with the medical treatment at the pies.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I read that too he would be perfect for what we need
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning