Thanks Thanks:  16
Likes Likes:  30
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Premonition of premiership.

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I dreamt last night that they changed the venue to Ballarat but the oval was full of gum trees. Not only that but all the seats were facing away from the ground. Please let Saturday hurry up.
    Gum trees on the oval, maybe you were connecting the sacred oval with the sacred indigenous bush it was. Marngrook between the trees.
    The changing of the venue!
    Grade six we St Johns primary, a small school were undefeated all season against catholic, pagan and proddoes. We had beaten our GF opponents two weeks before, doubling their score it was a romp.
    Day of GF spring rain constant. We show up to find FTG oval awash and the council has banned us from playing and we had to set up on the not maintained and unmowed soccer area. Branches for goals making a mockery of our magnificence.
    We lost by a point coming home like a train, their mob with the bell which our priest Father Miller reckoned they rang early.
    Shifting venue on day of GF burns to this and my dying day.

2. Likes The Adelaide Connection liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Tonight or tomorrow are the nights for those dreams.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    2016 was year of my 62nd birthday 62 yrs since our first premiership. I was 7 mnths old living in Droop St when we won and 7 yrs old moving out of Footscray to The Basin when we went into '61 GF as fav's.
    Now I'm 65, year of retirement, that is psychically significant.
    Amazed at how you guys have dreams related to our fate.
    So you really were born in Droop streeg in 54? I was born in Byron street in 1964!
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

5. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So no late premonitions and no more sleeps, situation up in the air.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    So you really were born in Droop streeg in 54? I was born in Byron street in 1964!
    So you were closer to the shops, I was closer to the oval. Being 7 yo and less at the time, memories are west of Barkly and Droop Sts. wandering the back streets to Western Oval for training and games. Whitten and John Schultz huge memories.
    I did have Luigi across Droop St and his large Italian family. His dad told us to lie down on the lawn then shot the slug gun between us. I went to St Monicas catching tram down Droop St sometimes buying lollies wirh my tram money then asking strangers for money to catch the tram home, sometimes walking home with my mate Liam and wandering into factories, demolition sites, one factory gave us peanuts in paper bag like the peanut guy at the oval.
    Tram drivers would let us stand next to them and pretend we were driving the tram. Early mornings if I heard the clip clop of the milko's horse I'd race out and get a ride on his cart. One day I ran across Ballarat Rd on Liam's heels. As one foot got across the rode I felt a small clip on the other foot from one of the cars! Footscray Park was great as were the abbatoirs.
    Family friends were the Spurlings two of whom played for the Dogs, one dying in Puckapunyul after serving in Viet war. Ricky and Bob Spargo lived a couple of of houses from us in the firemans flats in the fire brigade which had brass poles to slide down from the upper levels, I survived. My mother barracked for Carlton, Dad for Demons as he'd played reserves for them. He was a chemist in Sydney Rd. Older brother Tim, The Banker on WOOF, and me barracked for Collingwood until we realised we lived in Footscray.

Post Thanks / Like

So you were closer to the shops, I was closer to the oval. Being 7 yo and less at the time, memories are west of Barkly and Droop Sts. wandering the back streets to Western Oval for training and games. Whitten and John Schultz huge memories.
    I did have Luigi across Droop St and his large Italian family. His dad told us to lie down on the lawn then shot the slug gun between us. I went to St Monicas catching tram down Droop St sometimes buying lollies wirh my tram money then asking strangers for money to catch the tram home, sometimes walking home with my mate Liam and wandering into factories, demolition sites, one factory gave us peanuts in paper bag like the peanut guy at the oval.
    Tram drivers would let us stand next to them and pretend we were driving the tram. Early mornings if I heard the clip clop of the milko's horse I'd race out and get a ride on his cart. One day I ran across Ballarat Rd on Liam's heels. As one foot got across the rode I felt a small clip on the other foot from one of the cars! Footscray Park was great as were the abbatoirs.
    Family friends were the Spurlings two of whom played for the Dogs, one dying in Puckapunyul after serving in Viet war. Ricky and Bob Spargo lived a couple of of houses from us in the firemans flats in the fire brigade which had brass poles to slide down from the upper levels, I survived. My mother barracked for Carlton, Dad for Demons as he'd played reserves for them. He was a chemist in Sydney Rd. Older brother Tim, The Banker on WOOF, and me barracked for Collingwood until we realised we lived in Footscray.
    I don't remember a poster called the Banker?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes you do Twodogs, that's why we have the Bankers and Anchors thread.

10. Thanks BornInDroopSt'54 thanked for this post
    Likes bulldogtragic, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy'sLore View Post
    Yep, in memory of .
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

12. Thanks BornInDroopSt'54 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was telling my older sister this week how I told Tim about WOOF but I didn't think he'd participate
    He didn't tell me he joined as The Banker. I originally didn't post much but wanted to and I read The Bankers post and decided to respond not knowing it was my brother
    He told me he was blown away when I was the one who responded.
    I was born on Tim's 2nd birthday, were were close but me shy he charismatic. We mixed in different circles. He was a winner and didn't like the Bulldogs lack of success. He had restaraunts, an operatic wife and a media profile
    We had completely different social lives but we are both products of Droop St. One of the posters here said Tim donated to his charity..died too soon from prostate cancer but his passing was uplifting because he had no fear of it and concentrated more on making all his visitors feel good.

Post Thanks / Like

I was telling my older sister this week how I told Tim about WOOF but I didn't think he'd participate
    He didn't tell me he joined as The Banker. I originally didn't post much but wanted to and I read The Bankers post and decided to respond not knowing it was my brother
    He told me he was blown away when I was the one who responded.
    I was born on Tim's 2nd birthday, were were close but me shy he charismatic. We mixed in different circles. He was a winner and didn't like the Bulldogs lack of success. He had restaraunts, an operatic wife and a media profile
    We had completely different social lives but we are both products of Droop St. One of the posters here said Tim donated to his charity..died too soon from prostate cancer but his passing was uplifting because he had no fear of it and concentrated more on making all his visitors feel good.
    I had forgotten he was your brother, but have not forgotten him due to the Bankers/Anchors thread.

Over the past 13 years of WOOF, there have been quiet a few deaths - so sad.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I had forgotten he was your brother, but have not forgotten him due to the Bankers/Anchors thread.

Yes death is so sad for the ones left.
    An atrist said our greatest moment is our death. We are celebrated and our body mass fertilises the universe.
    Bill Bryson writes that due to the unimaginable number of atoms we contain, we all have about one million atoms of Shakespeare in us. So therefore one million atoms in each of us are from every person that ever existed....
    So dying is a great achievement and like birth is like the draft, one minute you want your footy skills acknowledged by the wider community then your fate is being tied to a club and finally you are absorbed forever for who you were.

16. Thanks strebla thanked for this post
    Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

Would it be too crass to suggest the creation of an In Memoriam page for people to document or provide profiles of Woofers who have passed?

18. Thanks BornInDroopSt'54 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Of course!

I can be spectacularly stupid sometimes. I just sort of assumed that I would get smarter as I got older, after all most old people seemed pretty smart to me when I was young but that's not how it turned out for me...