Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  21
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

If I was Leon Cameron...

1/. De Boer ==> JJ and lives in his pocket. I tell the players that if we go down, we go down based on inside ball NOT outside run. De Boer keeps JJ to < 10 possessions and ZERO running bounces.

2/. Green is PERMANENT i50. He doesn't empty out to defend, he doesn't play mid. He starts 30m out from goal and plays in a 20m2 area from there...and I just tell the team to kick it to him/in his area as often as possible.

3/. Whoever - WHOEVER - gets Young, goes directly to the goal-square and does not pass go. We roll back on Young ALL DAY (no matter what the Dogs do, if Young goes to you, you go to the square) and he is not allowed to play his natural game across half-back. This should leave Crozier responsible for intercept marking AND run (JJ is being taken care of) from behind the footy...basically I dare Beveridge to move another runner (Richards??) back.

4/. I tell Davis to DARE the umpire to play a free-kick. He is told to block Naughton's run at every opportunity - bash into him off the ball, get in his way, force him to lead up the ground ALL DAY. Get him out of scoring range where he creates trouble just by bringing the ball to deck.

5/. Bailey Dale? He goes TO THE GROUND. He goes near the ball? He goes on the ground. He doesn't go near the ball? He goes to the ground. He goes TO THE GROUND. He should have the single most miserable afternoon of any player in the history of every player who has ever had a miserable afternoon.

That's it. We know the other stuff (Giants will win and score from stoppages - Dogs aren't good in this area + of the 3x tall forwards one of them will end up having a good day so that will be that) but I really think there is a series of pretty clear steps the Giants CAN and SHOULD take if they want to win.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

2. Thanks GVGjr, Templeton31 thanked for this post
    Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: If I was Leon Cameron...

Fair summary - but what can we do to counter it?

The first one seems pretty simple - move JJ, Richards can play behind the ball. On the wing JJ should be able to out-run De Boer at max effort even if de Boer has the aerobic capacity to play with the mids.

The second one is an issue - I'd guess we simply back Duryea in and hope Crozier chops-out across halfback.

Third - good point (if Young plays) but that means we simply have to apply midfield pressure so they just can't get clean ball inside 50. GWS forwardline will almost certainly find one player who gets on top of their opponent.

Forth - Do we decoy Naughton on fact entries? He's done well doing so to allow Bailey Dale to run into space.

Fifth - The resting mid (Bailey Smith, at times Dunkley or Macrae or McLean) or Lloyd simply have to fly the flag. Block, scrag, do whatever to give Dale just half a step of space. He;s on red hot form and is the most likely of our forwards to get separation from his opponent.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

1/. De Boer ==> JJ and lives in his pocket. I tell the players that if we go down, we go down based on inside ball NOT outside run. De Boer keeps JJ to < 10 possessions and ZERO running bounces.

2/. Green is PERMANENT i50. He doesn't empty out to defend, he doesn't play mid. He starts 30m out from goal and plays in a 20m2 area from there...and I just tell the team to kick it to him/in his area as often as possible.

3/. Whoever - WHOEVER - gets Young, goes directly to the goal-square and does not pass go. We roll back on Young ALL DAY (no matter what the Dogs do, if Young goes to you, you go to the square) and he is not allowed to play his natural game across half-back. This should leave Crozier responsible for intercept marking AND run (JJ is being taken care of) from behind the footy...basically I dare Beveridge to move another runner (Richards??) back.

4/. I tell Davis to DARE the umpire to play a free-kick. He is told to block Naughton's run at every opportunity - bash into him off the ball, get in his way, force him to lead up the ground ALL DAY. Get him out of scoring range where he creates trouble just by bringing the ball to deck.

5/. Bailey Dale? He goes TO THE GROUND. He goes near the ball? He goes on the ground. He doesn't go near the ball? He goes to the ground. He goes TO THE GROUND. He should have the single most miserable afternoon of any player in the history of every player who has ever had a miserable afternoon.

That's it. We know the other stuff (Giants will win and score from stoppages - Dogs aren't good in this area + of the 3x tall forwards one of them will end up having a good day so that will be that) but I really think there is a series of pretty clear steps the Giants CAN and SHOULD take if they want to win.
    You’re not helping the nerves. Can we hide this post before any of it occurs to Cameron?
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

5. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    You’re not helping the nerves. Can we hide this post before any of it occurs to Cameron?
    Or GVG can just edit it and change all the player’s names around.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

7. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When JJ was getting terrorised by taggers he was our only running half back of note. We have better support in this area now than we did in 2017. Still worth doing as I can't see De Boer being successful on any of our big mids (Bont, Macrae or Dunks). Maybe he goes to Hunter to stop the outside link-up from D50 to F50?
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

LOL.

Pretty confident he is a lot smarter than me.

The Giants have been absolutely copping it and last I checked were underdogs against a team that finished below them whilst playing at home. I think we should be preparing for an overtly (overly??) physical contest and am expecting our young players - many of whom have been a key to the 2nd half turnaround and have ZERO finals experience - will be in the gun.

I'm not sure what our MC is planning but vs us I would think understanding that/conceding that Bont/J-Mac/Dunks/Hunter are going to get it 130 times but making sure that NO-ONE ELSE beats me would be the focus...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

The Giants have been absolutely copping it and last I checked were underdogs against a team that finished below them whilst playing at home. I think we should be preparing for an overtly (overly??) physical contest and am expecting our young players - many of whom have been a key to the 2nd half turnaround and have ZERO finals experience - will be in the gun.
    I reckon it will be the most brutal of the 4 finals this weekend. Hope we are ready for the onslaught and bring just as much heat to them - the way we bashed into them last time (led by Bont) gives me comfort that we will be ready for the ambush.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I reckon it will be the most brutal of the 4 finals this weekend. Hope we are ready for the onslaught and bring just as much heat to them - the way we bashed into them last time (led by Bont) gives me comfort that we will be ready for the ambush.
    They didn't have Mummy last time, he'll be out for blood. I'm leaning towards bringing Trengove back as he's hard as nails which will be needed.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

12. Likes Raw Toast, anfo27 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL.

Pretty confident he is a lot smarter than me.

I'm not sure what our MC is planning but vs us I would think understanding that/conceding that Bont/J-Mac/Dunks/Hunter are going to get it 130 times but making sure that NO-ONE ELSE beats me would be the focus...
    I have been apprehensive all week that we will be ambushed. I'm not sure why we are red hot favourites and that's not just the Tragician/Danny from Droop Street mentality. If the Giants have any pride whatsoever they will hurl everything at us.

Comparatively easy wins such as our last three weeks don't always do a team any favours. In our R22 match against GWS we started as though it was a continuation of the witches hat performance against the Bombres. We were initially taken aback when the Giants came back into the game and it wasn't a cakewalk. As others have pointed out we needed to get physical again (thanks Bont) to get the game on our terms; then they folded, but they will be much stronger this time.

I think they will come out determined to be brutal and our young guys will cop it. I still remember Jezza Cameron jeering in the face of Lewy Young when they smashed us last year. They will seek any opportunity to hurt us and won't be averse to the cheap shot. We need our senior players to stand up so that the younger guys, who won't realise how much more intense a final is, can settle into the tempo.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    They didn't have Mummy last time, he'll be out for blood. I'm leaning towards bringing Trengove back as he's hard as nails which will be needed.
    Ageeed. No reason why we can't return the favor (or shop early) and brutalise Whitfield and their other prime movers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    English can run the Mummy off his feet. Mummy has the agility and mobility of a diplodocus so that could be an area of exploitation for us.

Definitely bring back Trengove. He can wait in the goal square for anyone trying to lure Young away from his preferred position. Which means we have the option of sending Cordy forward to accidentally knock over Davis or anyone trying to interfere with Naughton or Dale. Or if it's not working for English then Trengove can go in the ruck, English goes forward, Naughton goes back. We have more options.

If I had one wish. It would be to bring Libba in.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

I have been apprehensive all week that we will be ambushed. I'm not sure why we are red hot favourites and that's not just the Tragician/Danny from Droop Street mentality. If the Giants have any pride whatsoever they will hurl everything at us.

Comparatively easy wins such as our last three weeks don't always do a team any favours. In our R22 match against GWS we started as though it was a continuation of the witches hat performance against the Bombres. We were initially taken aback when the Giants came back into the game and it wasn't a cakewalk. As others have pointed out we needed to get physical again (thanks Bont) to get the game on our terms; then they folded, but they will be much stronger this time.

I think they will come out determined to be brutal and our young guys will cop it. I still remember Jezza Cameron jeering in the face of Lewy Young when they smashed us last year. They will seek any opportunity to hurt us and won't be averse to the cheap shot. We need our senior players to stand up so that the younger guys, who won't realise how much more intense a final is, can settle into the tempo.
    Not red hot favourites. Yes favourites at $1.77 while GWS are at $2.05.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    The one thing I like about this new bunch of young players is they have abit of arrogance about them and aren't afraid to stand up for themselves. Bont is no slouch either when it comes to being targeted, just ask Firitto.

Looks like Haynes will be playing as well, so more ammunition for them, but we have to be ready and hold our cool.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Of Course we are going to be ambushed. It's finals and we are up against the biggest bunch of flogs in the competition and thats just how it is. Don't like it? We could do a Melbourne and run back down to the bottom of the ladder. We are made of blood and boots and not in focus groups to quote a most magnificent line.

Thankfully, we have a smart coach who dealt with all this in 2016. I'm sure we will be ready.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

19. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

'I feel sorry for whoever he does get': Giants to unleash de Boer on Dogs midfield

Suspect Bont'll gladly put his hand up and invite him over.
    BORDERLINE FLYING