Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  21
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: If I was Leon Cameron...

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    am seeing loads of pics on shane biggs insta of red smashing tins.
    #neverforget

BORDERLINE FLYING

2. Likes Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    #neverforget

Hell yeah
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

It's a great thing that he and the others have now retired they can actually show their true selves on social media...……..given they have probably all wanted to for a very long time!

We had a bunch of guys that would have been lauded in the anything goes 80's and we were lucky enough to get them all to click for one year when it counted in the modern era.

They've all earned their retirement riches. I hope they don't look back on this time of their lives and regret how much further they might have been able to take themselves.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

5. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    It's a great thing that he and the others have now retired they can actually show their true selves on social media...……..given they have probably all wanted to for a very long time!

We had a bunch of guys that would have been lauded in the anything goes 80's and we were lucky enough to get them all to click for one year when it counted in the modern era.

They've all earned their retirement riches. I hope they don't look back on this time of their lives and regret how much further they might have been able to take themselves.
    i don’t understand them. The dream job getting paid big dollars to play sport. What I would give to have done that
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    i don’t understand them. The dream job getting paid big dollars to play sport. What I would give to have done that
    Who's dream job is it though?

It might be yours, but may not be for them.

8. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Who's dream job is it though?

It might be yours, but may not be for them.
    If you play football, you must have had a dream at some stage.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Dream fulfilled for Biggsy by the looks
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

11. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Dream fulfilled for Biggsy by the looks
    as I said, I don't get it.

Post Thanks / Like

Some people are just talented and get steered in that direction without being given any other opportunity or knowing any better.

Post Thanks / Like

In a high-pressure industry where micro-management and relentless hyper-scrutiny are the norm it's unsurprising it produces Biggsy-style outcomes, or Tom Boyd-style outcomes, and so on. I'd imagine the 'dream' gets wrung out of many pretty quickly.

That said Biggsy's doing nothing any garden-variety twenty something isn't doing.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

15. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    Some people are just talented and get steered in that direction without being given any other opportunity or knowing any better.
    Nick Kyrios is a prime example. He obviously doesn't like/appreciate/respect tennis but he's bloody good at it. I can see where he's coming from. I was really good at basketball but I have absolutely no regard for the game and think it's a waste of time.

The problem is that people who are no good at it think that being good at it is an end toward itself. They can't understand why you wouldn't want to waste your time doing something that brings you no great enjoyment just because you happen to be good at it, they put themselves in your shoes and resent you for not taking the game seriously. I'm kind of like that with footy. I can't understand why you would knock back a place on an AFL list, I would have happily killed the guy in front of me to get a chance.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Most of them don’t play sport. It’s their job. Some love their job. Some don’t.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    Most of them don’t play sport. It’s their job. Some love their job. Some don’t.
    Let them work in a factory, or corporate office, or as a tradie for a fraction of the money and see how that goes

Post Thanks / Like

Let them work in a factory, or corporate office, or as a tradie for a fraction of the money and see how that goes
    But what if they did that and were happy and progressed through a career they either did vocational training for or went to uni to develop instead of playing football?

What if they didn't do any of that and were just plain happy?

I had absolutely no idea what I wanted to do when I grew up, still didn't through my twenties and a fair chunk of my thirties. I just turned forty and kind of understand what I can do to balance work, education, debauchery (well not so much anymore) and family/loved ones. These guys from their early to mid teens have a path set out for them, they get great education throughout that path but also if they actually make the grade as footballers, but it doesn't mean they are going to be happy once they've made it. For them after retirement early or otherwise they get to do the stuff most people get to do when they're in the late teens and throughout their early to mid-twenties - that is - figure out who they are and what makes them who they are, and hopefully who they want to be.

Anyway, it seems Leon has brought in someone who was almost murdered against us last time and some other elite players. I actually think the Giants will back their game in and not worry about us too much one way or another. Positional match ups and player roles will be important to an extent on Saturday, but in my view not nearly as important as just rocking up and being physical and applying pressure across the ground.

Possibly after half time we'll see some jobs done, depending on how the game has progressed to that point. If I was coaching I'd put someone on Dunkley (De Boer) and ensure whoever is rotating prioritises Macrae and Bontempelli on the next possession out. Limit effectiveness at the source, mitigate damage on the next disposal out and back everyone else in to be more ready than we are.

Try and make JJ and Suckling play as defencively as possible, and when the ball is in our half not get sucked too far up the ground to ensure the release kick can be contested with tall players either in space or over the back.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    But what if they did that and were happy and progressed through a career they either did vocational training for or went to uni to develop instead of playing football?

What if they didn't do any of that and were just plain happy?
    Thanks Dad

I do get it, I was always talking from a personal point of view and what I would have loved to have done (if I had talent )