Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  45
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3 things that you've learned, finals week one V GWS.

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    That was post coming down. Really it's eye gouging vs the hit on Staker and/or Grant.

Less clear cut then isn't it?
    Yep, whats worse a coward punch or an eye gouge.

Im happy to say they're both thug acts and they (Greene and Hall) are as bad as each other no matter what colours they wear.
    The curse is dead.

2. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Spot on, not only did we accept Baz, he was revered for his toughness.
    Many fans are fickle with their standards once a player arrives at the club, one years bad boy will quickly become a fan favourite if they win a game or two
    Some of us fans may have short memories or are too young to vividly remember some of our "past Toby Greenes", how about Libba Senior, Terry Wheeler, Tits Kennedy, Critter Kretiuk, Ron McGowan, Super MacPherson, even our heroes Charlie and EJ, and many more, every era of football clubs have players who play to the edge and at times cross over and we were no exception, look at Hawthorn in the 80's, tough hard and over the line for sure, but did they intimidate opposition and win finals, of course they did, it seems essential to have a couple of hard nuts in your team and I for one would welcome him to our club, it is also essential to get our youngsters into the gym and get them built up big and strong, the difference in size is plainly visible when the teams are running out onto the ground, you do not have to sacrifice speed for more muscle mass, and it stops you being knocked out of the contest or off the chase for the ball.

Post Thanks / Like

Kretiuk punching Matthew Lloyd's injured hand was an interesting one. He was a reasonably fair player in general though.

Post Thanks / Like

You can't compare players of the past to now, the game is different and has been cleaned up.

There is still the odd dickheads like Hawkins and Greene. The things that happened on field in the past were horrendous.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

6. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    You can't compare players of the past to now, the game is different and has been cleaned up.

There is still the odd dickheads like Hawkins and Greene. The things that happened on field in the past were horrendous.
    I will compare who and when and how I want, are you the resident know all Nazi? The fact of the matter is that we have had players who stepped over the line on many occasions, regardless of eras or differences in games, why are people getting on their high horses about Hawkins and Greene now, accept them for what they are, and hopefully the AFL will actually stop protecting their love child and start throwing the book at him, but do not try and tell me our club is innocent and would not accept Greene playing for us, that is a load of cobblers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jam Donuts View Post
    I will compare who and when and how I want, are you the resident know all Nazi? The fact of the matter is that we have had players who stepped over the line on many occasions, regardless of eras or differences in games, why are people getting on their high horses about Hawkins and Greene now, accept them for what they are, and hopefully the AFL will actually stop protecting their love child and start throwing the book at him, but do not try and tell me our club is innocent and would not accept Greene playing for us, that is a load of cobblers.
    No need for this bullshit mate.

For starters, I wasn't directing anything at you and secondly it was my opinion on different eras of football.

FMD

I think you need to edit your comments.
    Last edited by bornadog; 17-09-2019 at 04:31 PM.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Has Tom Hawkins been a player who has habitually stepped over the line? I thought he has been pretty genuine... agree with greene... the guy is a dipshit. He gets away with it and doesn't learn a lot.... they should make a statement.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dukedog View Post
    Has Tom Hawkins been a player who has habitually stepped over the line? I thought he has been pretty genuine... agree with greene... the guy is a dipshit. He gets away with it and doesn't learn a lot.... they should make a statement.
    Read this:

Hawkins had enjoyed an exemplary disciplinary record for most of his 256-game career but the two-time premiership star has now run foul of the match review process nine times since the 2016 season. He's been charged with striking six times and been suspended for a total of six matches, including his latest ban.

Post Thanks / Like

I think those stats on Hawkins are actually a little skewed by the jumper punch fiasco, where he was almost the scapegoat for a change on something that had been previously overlooked.

It also included a dead set dive by King of Divers (current), Phil (falling leaves) Davis.

Hawkins has never been a sniper like Greene and most of the incidents involving Hawkins have been minor and incidental. I can't recall Hawkins causing any serious injury to an opponent.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    I think those stats on Hawkins are actually a little skewed by the jumper punch fiasco, where he was almost the scapegoat for a change on something that had been previously overlooked.

It also included a dead set dive by King of Divers (current), Phil (falling leaves) Davis.

Hawkins has never been a sniper like Greene and most of the incidents involving Hawkins have been minor and incidental. I can't recall Hawkins causing any serious injury to an opponent.
    No one said he was a sniper, he just punches players in the face, that is why he has 6 suspensions. I said he was another thug and I stand by it. A jumper punch is a punch with a fistful full of jumper, but still a punch

Post Thanks / Like

No one said he was a sniper, he just punches players in the face, that is why he has 6 suspensions. I said he was another thug and I stand by it. A jumper punch is a punch with a fistful full of jumper, but still a punch
    That one that Hawkins got reported for on the weekend was so unnecessary. It reminded me of that Simpsons episode where Bart starts swinging his arms and walking across the room and telling Lisa that if she gets in the way then it's her fault.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

14. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Kretiuk punching Matthew Lloyd's injured hand was an interesting one. He was a reasonably fair player in general though.
    He was slaughtered in the media for it. Yet, now it's accepted as part of the game apparently.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    He was slaughtered in the media for it. Yet, now it's accepted as part of the game apparently.
    Not really, Charlie Cameron got protection the other night.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

I got talking to Steve Kretiuk one night at a footy club function. That final where Ablett kicked 5 on him in the first quarter-the first contest for the ball Ablett swung his fist at Kritter's face and ended up wedging his eyeball just under his eye socket and he couldn't see a thing for the whole of the first quarter. How do you continue when something like that happens?
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite