Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  45
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3 things that you've learned, finals week one V GWS.

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    As has been discussed many times, there are hitouts and there are HITOUTS.

I thought English played very well and it was probably his best game.

Trengove would have put more pressure on the opposition rucks when he gave English a break. He would have provided flexibility when Naughton went down. The last quarter was our worst and a rampaging big man on the forward line might have distracted the GWS backline enough to give the small guys some relief.

overall though, I think the game should prove valuable in showing how to make next season better than this one. There’s a lot of talent and now the appropriate people have something to think about.
    I agree, I would have played Trengove and in hindsight Gowers instead of West, who was best on the ground against Willi. As Vred said, at least those two have some muscle and wouldn't hold back.

I guess the MC thought, these players have been playing well and beaten a few teams over the past few weeks, so no need to change.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

We shall never know, and if we did play them and the result was the same I'm pretty certain the commentary would've been we shouldn't have played them.
    Personally I think Jackson should never have been dropped, and the timing was a bitter blow to a guy who left nothing behind when given the chance. The measure of the man was how he went back to Footscray and worked his ar5e off to try and push back in. These are the guys we want at our club, and how lucky we are to have them and not schwein like Greene.

Bring on 2020 (well the B and F first )

3. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    Dare I say it, I think Gowers should of been picked over West, we needed tough mungral football to fight GWS and we just didn’t have it on the day
    Wow, can't believe that one, Gowers is all bluff, West has already shown more ticker in three games than anything Gowers has ever done

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    We shall never know, and if we did play them and the result was the same I'm pretty certain the commentary would've been we shouldn't have played them.
    Personally I think Jackson should never have been dropped, and the timing was a bitter blow to a guy who left nothing behind when given the chance. The measure of the man was how he went back to Footscray and worked his ar5e off to try and push back in. These are the guys we want at our club, and how lucky we are to have them and not schwein like Greene.

Bring on 2020 (well the B and F first )
    I'd swap Trengove for Greene. Opposition supporters used to feel the same way about Libba Snr.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I'd swap Trengove for Greene. Opposition supporters used to feel the same way about Libba Snr.
    I wouldn't, he is a complete nut. Have you seen the things he has been charged for? Spitting, kicking, headbutting, punching, and now what he did to Bont, let alone his off field violence. He has serious anger management issues.

Sorry no time for a player like that, and who cares about his talent.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I wouldn't, he is a complete nut. Have you seen the things he has been charged for? Spitting, kicking, headbutting, punching, and now what he did to Bont, let alone his off field violence. He has serious anger management issues.

Sorry no time for a player like that, and who cares about his talent.
    Id stop supporting the dogs if we ever, ever picked up Green or Shaw.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

8. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I used to love King Tobes but the eye gouging has lost me.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Greene’s behaviour is a distraction. It was to be expected and the team selection should have built in a counter strategy (if we had the option available).

Time to look ahead. What did we learn that will make next year better?

We need more options to cover in-match developments. English not winning ruck, Bont being targeted unfairly. Naughton going down, opposition forward getting 25 possessions. These suggest we need to go in with at least one extra taller and stronger body.

An running intercept CHB would make a big improvement in my opinion. The present style is too static, relying on spoiling- which does nothing to remove the pressure from the defenders in a final.

And a kicking coach. I thought there was a big difference in the kicking skills on Saturday. Probably the reason the forwards couldn’t get into the game.

11. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree, I would have played Trengove and in hindsight Gowers instead of West, who was best on the ground against Willi. As Vred said, at least those two have some muscle and wouldn't hold back.

I guess the MC thought, these players have been playing well and beaten a few teams over the past few weeks, so no need to change.
    Finals are a different proposition and in the heat of the battle we missed the hardness and experience of the likes of Liberatore, Dickson, Daniel and Wallis, who were all unavailable. The team was too inexperienced to handle the extra pressure exerted by GWS, who given the concessions granted by the AFL are a talented unit. Trengrove needed to be played given the inexperience and lack of support for Tim English.

13. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    Greene’s behaviour is a distraction. It was to be expected and the team selection should have built in a counter strategy (if we had the option available).

Time to look ahead. What did we learn that will make next year better?

We need more options to cover in-match developments. English not winning ruck, Bont being targeted unfairly. Naughton going down, opposition forward getting 25 possessions. These suggest we need to go in with at least one extra taller and stronger body.

An running intercept CHB would make a big improvement in my opinion. The present style is too static, relying on spoiling- which does nothing to remove the pressure from the defenders in a final.

And a kicking coach. I thought there was a big difference in the kicking skills on Saturday. Probably the reason the forwards couldn’t get into the game.
    Based on stats, and before Saturday, we are ranked number one for effective disposals, and second for Disposal Efficiency

Post Thanks / Like

1. We can be as terrible as any side in the competition when we're not switched on. It cost us games against Carlton and Gold Coast, and cost us dearly against GWS.

2. Intangibles matter, especially mongrel. We need a little more to really be a threat. Libba?

3. Even during the flogging, green shoots emerge. Cordy took charge, Rhylee doesn't mind the hard stuff, and English could be the most unique player in the competition in time.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

16. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Based on stats, and before Saturday, we are ranked number one for effective disposals, and second for Disposal Efficiency
    What's our goalkicking/conversion like BAD?
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Pre finals. Finals is high pressure and we couldn’t get that game going unfortunately. They missed quite a lot of shots but we couldn’t take advantage of that - had a comeback in the latter part of the 2nd term but that was it.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    What's our goalkicking/conversion like BAD?
    Second half, brilliant

Post Thanks / Like

As I said, from the TV there seemed to be a big difference between the two teams when it came to using the ball by foot.

The Giants had long low trajectory kicks and were quickly putting the ball in the target’s hands so they didn’t have to break step.

Our guys had much shorter floating kicks and went wider to someone stationary in the clear. ( but often covered by the time the ball arrived)

Both rate highly for efficiency but one approach won the game. Over the break ours need to inject more penetration.

It’s true, The Dogs have been a better kicking team in the second half of the year, and their improvement has led to success. But they lacked confidence on Saturday and, in my opinion, went back to handball as their preference.