Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  45
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3 things that you've learned, finals week one V GWS.

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    As I said, from the TV there seemed to be a big difference between the two teams when it came to using the ball by foot.

The Giants had long low trajectory kicks and were quickly putting the ball in the target’s hands so they didn’t have to break step.

Our guys had much shorter floating kicks and went wider to someone stationary in the clear. ( but often covered by the time the ball arrived)

Both rate highly for efficiency but one approach won the game. Over the break ours need to inject more penetration.

It’s true, The Dogs have been a better kicking team in the second half of the year, and their improvement has led to success. But they lacked confidence on Saturday and, in my opinion, went back to handball as their preference.
    Saturday we lost the plot.

I was responding to your post about getting a kicking coach for next season
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I'd swap Trengove for Greene. Opposition supporters used to feel the same way about Libba Snr.
    I wouldn't want Greene in a million years. His very presence makes me feel ill. I can't even watch giants games anymore. The twisted little worm should be in prison.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Saturday we lost the plot.

I was responding to your post about getting a kicking coach for next season
    Replay that game ( with the same players) and the result will be the same 9 out of 10 times.

There were glaring differences between the teams and, to me, an important one was the foot skills. Both reluctance to kick and quality of a kick.

That is where I want to see an improvement next year. Everything else I can live with.

Macrae, Dunkley, Hunter and Lipinski were very good at getting the ball but none kicked more than handball.

Richards, Hayes, West had 8 kicks and over 20 handballs between them.

Whereas for the Giants their best four players each had more than 2 kicks per handball. And most of the team prefers to kick. Huge benefits from that style of play. If we learn that mindset finals appearances are guaranteed next year.

Suckling and Duryea: 32 kicks and 8 handballs. Might be the Hawthorn philosophy.

4. Likes GVGjr, Nuggety Back Pocket liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Replay that game ( with the same players) and the result will be the same 9 out of 10 times.

There were glaring differences between the teams and, to me, an important one was the foot skills. Both reluctance to kick and quality of a kick.

That is where I want to see an improvement next year. Everything else I can live with.

Macrae, Dunkley, Hunter and Lipinski were very good at getting the ball but none kicked more than handball.

Richards, Hayes, West had 8 kicks and over 20 handballs between them.

Whereas for the Giants their best four players each had more than 2 kicks per handball. And most of the team prefers to kick. Huge benefits from that style of play. If we learn that mindset finals appearances are guaranteed next year.

Suckling and Duryea: 32 kicks and 8 handballs. Might be the Hawthorn philosophy.
    They shut down the space so our mids couldn't kick it. That was the plan, and they executed it well. The kicks our mids did get were under pressure which leads to lower efficiency.

Makes no sense to compare the kick/handball ratios to two defenders who can rebound in space to that of mids in the centre.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    They shut down the space so our mids couldn't kick it. That was the plan, and they executed it well. The kicks our mids did get were under pressure which leads to lower efficiency.

Makes no sense to compare the kick/handball ratios to two defenders who can rebound in space to that of mids in the centre.
    It is two separate statements. No comparison intended. I like Duryea because he always looks for a kicking target, Suckling usually does too.

But as you rightly pointed out, a significant portion of the team was devoid of any idea of how to get into a position to kick well. They proved the way they used handball isn’t enough. That is part of why the Giants went on to be more dominant in the second half (+70 possessions). Another thing to brainstorm during the break.

Post Thanks / Like

It is two separate statements. No comparison intended. I like Duryea because he always looks for a kicking target, Suckling usually does too.

But as you rightly pointed out, a significant portion of the team was devoid of any idea of how to get into a position to kick well. They proved the way they used handball isn’t enough. That is part of why the Giants went on to be more dominant in the second half (+70 possessions). Another thing to brainstorm during the break.
    I also think we were very much intimidated. As much as we expected GWS to come out hard I think the ferocity of their attack both at the man and the ball may have shocked a few. It was a level that most of the team would not have seen before. This pressure and perceived pressure then resulted in turnovers and panic.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to play footy in WA with a bloke they nick named SKILLS. He was a beautiful kick on both feet. (Sublime skills). Apparently he was a terrible kick and had a really crazy ball drop till he did this drill. He showed me his method and it the most basic and simple method you can imagine. It teaches ball drop and placement on the boot. It works and is very simple to do. Would desperately love to be able to pass it on to the doggies. It seems to simple but I know they don’t do it as they all have their own version of ball drop and kicking style. Send the worst kick in the team to Brisbane for a week and I will pass it onto them

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    I also think we were very much intimidated. As much as we expected GWS to come out hard I think the ferocity of their attack both at the man and the ball may have shocked a few. It was a level that most of the team would not have seen before. This pressure and perceived pressure then resulted in turnovers and panic.
    The attack appeared mainly to be focused on Bontempelli who lacked the desired support that the toughness and experience of a Liberatore Dickson or Wallis would have provided. Macrae Dunkley Hunter and Maclean good as they have been are hardly physical players to meet fire with fire when the occasion required it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    I wouldn't want Greene in a million years. His very presence makes me feel ill. I can't even watch giants games anymore. The twisted little worm should be in prison.
    I get the emotion, but you can’t honestly suggest you wouldn’t want Greene over Trengove running around for us?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    I get the emotion, but you can’t honestly suggest you wouldn’t want Greene over Trengove running around for us?
    I could probably say yes but I do agree with your sentiment. We've accepted players who push the edge before and held them in high regard.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I could probably say yes but I do agree with your sentiment. We've accepted players who push the edge before and held them in high regard.
    It's not just players that push the edge when it comes to Greene. He is a dirty little slime, and I wouldn't want him anywhere near our club.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

13. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    I could. I think the culture at our club now essentially would mean Greene wouldn’t get a gig. Forget ability, he’s a dirty player.

15. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd back Bevo in to turn him around. Was Libba Snr a cleaner player? Did you love him or would you like to see him in jail? Comments above are ridiculous, Greene would make us immeasurably better. He's had his off-field dramas but all that looks to be behind. A strong culture backed by a strong leader would keep him inline on the field. Anyway moot point we'd never get him.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I'd back Bevo in to turn him around. Was Libba Snr a cleaner player? Did you love him or would you like to see him in jail? Comments above are ridiculous, Greene would make us immeasurably better. He's had his off-field dramas but all that looks to be behind. A strong culture backed by a strong leader would keep him inline on the field. Anyway moot point we'd never get him.
    Yep, I'd have him. He would make us a much better team.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    It's not just players that push the edge when it comes to Greene. He is a dirty little slime, and I wouldn't want him anywhere near our club.
    Agreed, 100%
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]