Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  10
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: THE MOMENT: ELIMINATION FINAL GWS vs WB

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The toss of the coin was also telling for me. Kick with the wind, go in and create a big lead. Why kick against it - big mistake
    Was the wind really that strong to one end? It seemed to be going straight across the ground from what you could tell on TV.

Suckling kicked a goal from 55m within 20sec, and whilst he's a thumping kick I doubt he would've made the distance if it was directly into the wind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Was the wind really that strong to one end? It seemed to be going straight across the ground from what you could tell on TV.

Suckling kicked a goal from 55m within 20sec, and whilst he's a thumping kick I doubt he would've made the distance if it was directly into the wind.
    Very strong early. 6 goal breeze, comfortably.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post

Seemed to be mostly across the ground - if anything slightly favouring the left of screen. A little hard to tell exactly what it was like on ground, as it wasn't windy in the seats.

For me, although Bont and Lippa's misses were bad moments, where we could have given us hope - we were comprehensively outplayed and not tough enough.

I'm not really going to sit here and whinge about 'GWS dirty tactics', thats just embarassing to be honest.
    We were neither smart enough or tough enough, and our inside mids were so worried about what GWS were doing both in terms of physicality, blocking and tagging - that they forgot what they were trying to do.

Smashed in contested, beaten in clearances, and 76 inside 50s to 37. We ever got any ball control. We never gave our forwards a chance, and we never gave the kicker an option to take the '45' kick and open up the game. We got overawed by the occasion and the players will have to live with that.

4. Likes Sedat, Mantis, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Seemed to be mostly across the ground - if anything slightly favouring the left of screen. A little hard to tell exactly what it was like on ground, as it wasn't windy in the seats.
    Depends where you were sitting.

The wind was blowing hard across the ground and favouring the score board end, as evidenced by the three or four out on the fulls by GWS in the first 10 minutes, plus the misses when shooting at goal.

I was surprised we went the end that was very difficult to kick to.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Depends where you were sitting.

The wind was blowing hard across the ground and favouring the score board end, as evidenced by the three or four out on the fulls by GWS in the first 10 minutes, plus the misses when shooting at goal.

I was surprised we went the end that was very difficult to kick to.
    Yep it was a surprising decision. Perhaps there was a theory behind it
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

The toss of the coin was also telling for me. Kick with the wind, go in and create a big lead. Why kick against it - big mistake
    This for me as well. I thought I was going stupid and the wind was going the other way. It turned out I wasn’t loosing my marbles it is Wood that is loosing his.

A famous loss loss a few years ago was because of kicking the wrong way. Can’t remember who it was but is was really bad for the and it was really bad for us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by S Coast Simon View Post

A famous loss loss a few years ago was because of kicking the wrong way. Can’t remember who it was but is was really bad for the and it was really bad for us.
    Cotchin in that final where Port was told to wear their away strip as Richmond didn't have a suitable clash guernsey. Port wore the prison bars and kicked something like 7-8 goals in the first quarter after Cotchin elected to kick into the wind.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

9. Thanks S Coast Simon thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There was a relatively innocuous moment in the second quarter. Bailey smith pulled out of a contested ball. I thought “that’s it, they’re in our head now.”

We went on a 10 minute run after that - but it never felt like we were getting on top.