Thanks Thanks:  22
Likes Likes:  171
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tip Rat Green Straight to Tribunal

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Nick Robertson (Brisbane)
    Robertson is one of a group of former senior regulars at the Lions who have fallen out of favour during the club's surge up the ladder in 2019. The hard-at-it tagger, originally from West Perth, has multiple suitors should he choose to seek more opportunity elsewhere, with Fremantle believed to be among them. Greater Western Sydney asked the question, but he won't end up there.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-09-...art-in-october

Is this guy worth a look at?
    He's tough as nails, maybe a bit slow from memory?

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, if we can play Ryan Gardner for one game to prove a point to Schache, why not this Robertson guy specifically to rough up Greene?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I think we need to draft an enforcer, someone that really can't play, but doesn't mind the knuckle, because that is what the AFL are pushing with this.
    Suspect we already have one in Jordon Sweet if we really want to wipe some smirks off a few faces.

What we truly need is to be more ferocious and more focused - to a man - the next time we play them, and more generally if we want to succeed in finals. The bastards embarrassed us, but hopefully sufficiently so that it gnaws away at everyone involved all off-season. If that's the case I don't expect we'd permit it again, least of all against that mob.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    On the topic of league-sanctioned encouragement of Greene's schtick, it's worth recalling this is the same AFEL that photoshopped a cute 'fight' graphic featuring Greene & Dahlhaus with boxing gloves on - for the league's own website - to hype our round one game against GWS last year.

This is ultimately just more clickable #content for them that they'll readily milk as required.

Terry Wallace has expressed some interesting thoughts on the handling of this matter - interesting insofar as he's the only one game enough to even tepidly hint at the league's likely manipulations behind the scenes on this one.

Cannot wait for their tasteful MMA style promotion for our next game against these pricks.

Maybe we should take them up on the invitation.
    I’d be interested in hearing more about Wallace’s thoughts?

The process stunk. In the same footage of the Greene incident, Another guy (Himmelberg) comes at him from the other angle.

The plea of guilty, the insincere garbage apology about ‘going too far in my remonstration’ (does anyone think that wasn’t written by a gws goon?)...this all unfolded behind closed doors. The hearing was a rubber stamp, never about getting to the heart of the truth, not that I’d like Bont to face the equally unpleasant choices of telling the truth or dealing in vague platitudes.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    I’d be interested in hearing more about Wallace’s thoughts?

The process stunk. In the same footage of the Greene incident, Another guy (Himmelberg) comes at him from the other angle.

The plea of guilty, the insincere garbage apology about ‘going too far in my remonstration’ (does anyone think that wasn’t written by a gws goon?)...this all unfolded behind closed doors. The hearing was a rubber stamp, never about getting to the heart of the truth, not that I’d like Bont to face the equally unpleasant choices of telling the truth or dealing in vague platitudes.
    You've basically nailed it in bold.

He remarks on SEN here from about the 22 minute mark, raising questions about what he felt were "unusual" machinations leading up to the hearing including the league going public ahead of time that a suspension was not on its agenda, Greene suddenly bee-lining it to Melbourne to "defend himself" and the lack of examination of Greene's actions full stop during the hearing which was strangely brief, almost as if the outcome was preordained.

In Plough's words, to be so bold as to suggest this was all orchestrated by a series of phone calls from league HQ would be far from outrageous.

As I said initially, interesting to say the least ...
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Mark Stevens also said on RSN this morning interestingly the case started half an hour late and alluded to a deal being struck.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Mark Stevens also said on RSN this morning interestingly the case started half an hour late and alluded to a deal being struck.
    I thought MS's straight face reporting on tribunal outcome
    vetrayed a contrary feeling. So a deal done prior... thats how to lose Bulldog fans AFL, betray them.

Post Thanks / Like

Michael Christensen, AFL tribunal judge, judge each incident as if a court of law. If its assault in the real world, its assault on an AFL oval. The retribution in AFL must weeks not fines for assault, as fines mean little to richly paid players.

9. Likes S Coast Simon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    This was a stitch up from the start with the AFL prosecution telling the tribunal to disregard any charge of unnecessary contact to the face AKA eye gouging - despite the video evidence.

Greene ended up being found guilty of giving Marcus a head massage and pulling his hair - what a joke.
    I've got a lot of respect for Jack Gleeson and I feel for him in this incident.

He was in a position hwere he had to walk in to the tribunal, with a straight face, and carry out his instructions. He is, after all the AFL's Counsel in tribunal matters.

If I were Michael Christian I'd walk away. Immediately. Every time he identifies an incident worthy of close scrutiny, it is completely glossed over by the AFL and a cushy deal made to protect the brand.

11. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes merantau, N/A, Twice Bitten liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if the Tip Rat actually used the word "remonstrate" in the hearing and if anyone had pulled him up about the meaning of the word?
    Describing what he did as "remonstrating" is akin to calling turning someone's face to pulp as "a deep tissue massage".
    I will be celebrating when the karma bus strikes.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

13. Likes westbulldog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just sent this letter to the Age.

To the editor.

I would like to express my sense of outrage and disbelief regarding the Toby Greene MRO findings. It seems everyone inside the AFL machine has rubber stamped Greene only being fined, but out here in the real world people are feeling angry and let down by the decision.

I have kids who play footy. What the AFL is saying to every junior, suburban and country footballer out there, is this. “We don’t really like what Greene did, but if it’s going to win you an important match, it’s worth doing, because you won’t be suspended.
    So go ahead, eye gouge, pull hair, slam people’s heads into the ground. It’s called ‘playing on the edge’ now".

This is Greene’s 17th charge in 143 games. That’s a charge every 8 and a half games.

He has an appalling track record of violent behaviour on and off the field, and yet the AFL basically let him get away with this disgusting attack on a helpless player.

Shame on the AFL.

Post Thanks / Like

This is what I sent to Gillon today:

I am writing to express my disgust and extreme disappointment with the result of the Match Review Tribunal finding against Toby Greene for his actions against Marcus Bontempelli in Saturday’s Elimination Final. I wish I could say I was surprised, but sadly, this result was much what I expected.

To witness Greene’s sustained, vicious attack on a defenceless player — hair-pulling, bashing his head into the ground, scratching and reaching his hands under his face with clear intent to hurt — was a sickening spectacle. Greene and his apologists claim that he seeks to play ‘on the edge’ but these actions have nothing to do with competitiveness or courage. It is sheer unnecessary violence, and if it occurred off the field, it would be considered criminal assault.

That the AFL can allow these actions to go effectively unpunished is breathtaking hypocrisy. You claim that the Commission supports respectful relationships and responsible behaviour, and yet Greene has been allowed to get away with gratuitous acts of violence (punching, kicking other players in the face etc) on multiple occasions, and is now clearly aware that he can behave like this with impunity.

This outcome will only encourage the cynical conclusion that the AFL Commission, despite pious words to the contrary, cares nothing for player welfare, setting standards for children and young people or 'Respect and Responsibility'; it seems that all you care about is on-field success for your pet project expansion team. This is why I was not surprised when Greene escaped with a slap on the wrist.

Please, think hard about the message this sends to players, AFL supporters and also to those parents wondering whether to encourage their kids to take up our game. Surely there are many parents in the western suburbs of Sydney who will be repulsed by this footage and by the limp official response it has elicited.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    Just sent this letter to the Age.

To the editor.

I would like to express my sense of outrage and disbelief regarding the Toby Greene MRO findings. It seems everyone inside the AFL machine has rubber stamped Greene only being fined, but out here in the real world people are feeling angry and let down by the decision.

I have kids who play footy. What the AFL is saying to every junior, suburban and country footballer out there, is this. “We don’t really like what Greene did, but if it’s going to win you an important match, it’s worth doing, because you won’t be suspended.
    So go ahead, eye gouge, pull hair, slam people’s heads into the ground. It’s called ‘playing on the edge’ now".

This is Greene’s 17th charge in 143 games. That’s a charge every 8 and a half games.

He has an appalling track record of violent behaviour on and off the field, and yet the AFL basically let him get away with this disgusting attack on a helpless player.

Shame on the AFL.
    Great letter. Maybe worth sending the letter to Gill as well and pointing out how the NRL handle these charges.

Canberra forward Hudson Young cops eight games for gouge ban

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Great letter. Maybe worth sending the letter to Gill as well and pointing out how the NRL handle these charges.

Canberra forward Hudson Young cops eight games for gouge ban
    I did send a letter to the AFL feedback email address.
    Does Gill have a direct address you know of?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    I did send a letter to the AFL feedback email address.
    Does Gill have a direct address you know of?
    Sorry you must have posted that copy as I was writing.

I wish I did have his direct email.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.