Thanks Thanks:  22
Likes Likes:  171
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tip Rat Green Straight to Tribunal

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    I achieved a life long dream a couple of years back of travelling to Komodo National Park to see the Dragons in the wild.
    Brilliant trip and well worth it, the dragons are as impressive if not more than you imagine them to be.
    That would be fantastic.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I achieved a life long dream a couple of years back of travelling to Komodo National Park to see the Dragons in the wild.
    Brilliant trip and well worth it, the dragons are as impressive if not more than you imagine them to be.
    Where did you do this from as it's on my to do list what would be a good place to base myself do you think. I would ideally like to do this and also tick off e few over two or 3 weeks.
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    It's impressive but I'd rather try to escape one of those than come up against a cassowary with chick in the wild.

Far North Queensland 1992 I saw one in the wild with a chick in the Daintree. The tour leader just said "Walk backwards Verrrrry slowly and don't take your eye off it. That thing kills more people than saltwater crocodiles"
    I saw a number of cassowaries when we stayed at Mission Beach. They don't seem to bother you as long as you ignore them. Saw two in the main street. Granted there were no chicks in sight.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    I saw a number of cassowaries when we stayed at Mission Beach. They don't seem to bother you as long as you ignore them. Saw two in the main street. Granted there were no chicks in sight.
    Yeah, they get deadly when they have a chick to protect. It's dad that does all the maternal work in the cassowary world too. Mum hunts and dad keeps the nest tidy and raises the chicks. Platypus can be quite dangerous too. They also have a claw like talon on their back leg (I think it's the back leg that can do a fair amount of damage. There are signs at most Tasmanian rivers warning people.

I love cassowarys.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, they get deadly when they have a chick to protect. It's dad that does all the maternal work in the cassowary world too. Mum hunts and dad keeps the nest tidy and raises the chicks. Platypus can be quite dangerous too. They also have a claw like talon on their back leg (I think it's the back leg that can do a fair amount of damage. There are signs at most Tasmanian rivers warning people.

I love cassowarys.
    Yes they are one weird prehistoric looking bird up close.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Yes they are one weird prehistoric looking bird up close.
    Emus, cassowarys and T-Rex all have a unique three talon foot thing (yes, I know that's bad English but it makes sense) in common with each other.

Cassowarys are bad arsed mutha *!*!*!*!ers!
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

7. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Emus, cassowarys and T-Rex all have a unique three talon foot thing (yes, I know that's bad English but it makes sense) in common with each other.

Cassowarys are bad arsed mutha *!*!*!*!ers!
    The council at Mission Beach is even called the Cassowary Coast Council. Very protected species.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by strebla View Post
    Where did you do this from as it's on my to do list what would be a good place to base myself do you think. I would ideally like to do this and also tick off e few over two or 3 weeks.
    Strebla this a go, highly recommend it.
    https://www.princess.com/ports-excur...ia-excursions/
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

10. Thanks strebla thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Strebla this a go, highly recommend it.
    https://www.princess.com/ports-excur...ia-excursions/
    Thanks for that KT31 hopefully in 2021 and I will do Borneo at the same time
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning

12. Likes KT31 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by strebla View Post
    Thanks for that KT31 hopefully in 2021 and I will do Borneo at the same time
    Hello Strebla. Getting to Komodo is pretty simple these days. Fly into Bali, get a free 30 day Visa on Arrival, take a flight to Labuhanbajo on the western top of Flores island and arrange your trip out to see the dragons from there. There are about 60 boats involved in ferrying tourists out to see the dragons with lots of different options - day trips, liveaboard overnighters, diving, snorkeling, trekking.
    Be aware that there are more dragons on Rinca island than on Komodo itself and the island with the most spectacular views is Padar.
    Also there is talk of the National Park fee being upped to $1000!!! Yes, that's right, $1000! At the moment it's $15. But this is still under discussion.
    Garuda flies daily to Labuhanbajo I think. PM me if you want updates about the NP situation. Best time to visit is dry season - say late May to late October. Day trips with snorkeling, a hike on Padar and Dragon spotting on Rinca are about $50 per person on a shared boat. Best to look over the boat yourself to see what you are going to get. The dive shops in Labuhanbajo have always got notices up looking for people to make up groups.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

14. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Likes strebla liked this post